BSU Catalog Home
The Bemidji State University campus is bounded on the east by Lake Bemidji and on the north, west, and south by the city of Bemidji. Stands of pine, oak, and birch reflect the nearby presence of the north woods. Major campus facilities are connected by all-season sky walks and underground passages.
Alumni House: Offices of the Alumni Association as well as some BSU Foundation staff. Previously owned by Professor emeritus, the late Dr. Phil Sauer and his wife Betty, this building is located next to the David Park House and was built in the same style.
American Indian Resource Center: Administrative and student support offices; faculty and program offices for Indian Studies program and Ojibwe language; classrooms; student study area/computer lab; exhibit areas; "Great Hall" for meetings and conferences.
Bangsberg Fine Arts Complex: Faculty and department/program offices for Theatre and Speech Communication, Music, and Mass Communication; studios; classrooms; Thompson Recital Hall; main stage and "black box" theatres; rehearsal rooms; KAWE public television offices. Bangsberg facilities are utilized by both the campus and the community. Dr. Harry F. Bangsberg was BSU president from 1964 to 1967.
Harry A. Bridgeman Hall: Faculty and department/program offices for Industrial Technology; classrooms; technology education, manufacturing, construction, graphics, computer, and electronics/energy laboratories; digital video; equipment for computer-assisted engineer modeling design, numerical control, and automation. Mr. Bridgeman was a Minnesota state senator.
A.C. Clark Library: Books, periodicals, audiovisual materials, microforms, maps, government publications, and other library holdings; on-line bibliographic searching; computerized catalog; special collections; interlibrary loan services; computer labs; classroom; office of the Library Dean. Dr. Clark, a professor of social sciences, was acting president from 1942 to 1946 and again in 1964.
Decker Hall: Faculty and department/program offices for Accounting, Business Administration, Computer Information Systems, and Economics; computer lab; the Center for Social and Behavioral Research; Office of the Dean of Graduate Studies; Office of the Dean of the College of Professional Studies. Dr. R. D. Decker was BSU president from 1968 to 1980.
Manfred W. Deputy Hall: Offices of the President, the Senior Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs, and the Vice President for Administrative Affairs; administrative offices; Center for Extended Learning; Office of Admissions and Scholarships; Records and Advising Services; International Program Center; faculty and department/program offices for Nursing; Computer Services; Microcomputer Superlab; KBSU University television studio; KBSB and KDRS University radio stations; KAWE public television studios. Dr. Deputy was the first president of BSU, serving from 1919 to 1937.
Education Art Building: Faculty and department/program offices for Professional Education, Clinical Experiences, Visual Arts, and Anthropology; classrooms; auditorium; study rooms; Professional Education laboratories, including a computer lab; Anthropology laboratory; libraries; workrooms; Child Development Training Program (CDTP); Talley Art Gallery.
Hagg-Sauer Hall: Faculty and department/program offices for Computer Science, Criminal Justice, English, Geography, History, Modern Languages, Mathematics, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, Women's Studies, and other programs; classrooms; seminar rooms; Writing Center; auditorium; map library; cartography, language, and computer laboratories; Center for Professional Development; Honors Program Office; Office of the Dean of the College of Arts and Letters. Dr. Harold T. Hagg was a division chair and professor of history; Dr. Philip R. Sauer was a division chair and professor of English.
C.V. Hobson Memorial Student Union: Campus information desk; automatic teller machine (ATM); check cashing; fax service; mail drop; postage stamps; mailboxes for clubs and organizations; copy service; typewriters; lounges; student/faculty/staff I.D. cards; ballroom; meeting rooms; private dining rooms; food court; game room; variety store; University Bookstore; Commuter Lounge; Student Senate; Hobson Union Programming Board; Northern Student newspaper; Phoenix office; Swing Dance Club office; Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship office; Outdoor Program Center; Touche Art Gallerie; Women's Center. Dr. Hobson was a professor of geography and a student personnel counselor.
C.V. Hobson Forest: Located eleven miles from the University, this 240 acre forest/marshland serves as an outdoor laboratory for instructional and recreational uses.
Memorial Hall: Computer Support; Office of Research and Assessment; IFO/BSU Faculty Association; Printing Services; Mailroom; offices; classrooms; multi-purpose gymnasium. Named in honor of American participants in World War II.
David Park House: Office of the Vice President for University Advancement; Special Events Office; the BSU Foundation; the Alumni Association. The David Park House is the only Bemidji residence on the National Register of Historic Places and was purchased jointly by the Alumni Association and the BSU Foundation.
Harold T. Peters Aquatic Laboratory: Lecture room; laboratory; aquarium; workshop. This facility utilizes Lake Bemidji as a freshwater laboratory for the Aquatic Biology program. Dr. Peters was a professor of biology.
Physical Education Complex and Gillett Recreation/Fitness Center: Faculty and program/administrative offices for Health, Physical Education, recreation, and athletics; classrooms; gymnasium; swimming pool; indoor track; ice arena; racquetball, handball, basketball, volleyball, and tennis courts; weight and exercise rooms; athletic training room; laboratories. Dr. Lowell R. Gillett was BSU president from 1982 to 1990.
John S. Glas Fieldhouse: Fieldhouse and hockey arena. Mr. John Glas was acting president from 1967 to 1968 and a vice president for administrative affairs.
Athletic Fields: Baseball, football, soccer, softball, and intramural fields; tennis courts.
- Birch Hall: Student residence; Health Service; Counseling Center.
- Linden Hall: Student residence; conference and short-term guest housing.
- Maple Hall: Student residence.
- Oak Hall: Student residence; computer laboratory.
- Pine Hall: Student residence and Cedar Apartments for single parents.
- Tamarack Hall: Student residence.
- Walnut Hall: Residence hall dining; private dining rooms; offices for Residential Life (on-campus housing), Security and Safety.
Maria Sanford Hall: Office of Student Affairs; Career Services; TRIO/Student Support Services; Disabilities Office; American Indian Resource Center; faculty and program offices for Indian Studies, Upward Bound; classrooms. Ms. Sanford was a prominent turn-of-the-century Minnesota educator.
Charles R. Sattgast Hall of Science: Faculty and department/program offices for Biology, Chemistry, Geology, and Physics; laboratories; animal rooms; greenhouse; Center for Environmental Studies; Native Americans into Medicine (NAM); Office of the Dean of the College of Social and Natural Sciences. Dr. Sattgast was BSU president from 1938 to 1964. He was on leave from office from 1943 to 1946 for military service.
Waterfront: Facilities for the University's canoes, laboratory barges, sailboats, and power boats. The waterfront is used for classes and laboratory activities in Aquatic Biology, canoeing, sailing, other aquatic sports, and for leisure shoreline and water activities.