BSU Catalog Home
The Bemidji State University campus is bounded on the east by Lake Bemidji and on the north, west and south by the city of Bemidji. Stands of pine, oak and birch reflect the nearby presence of the north woods. Major campus facilities are connected by all-season sky walks and underground passages.
Physical Education Complex and Gillett Recreation/Fitness Center: Departmental/program offices for health, physical education and recreation; gymnasium; swimming pool; classrooms; indoor track; racquetball, handball, basketball, volleyball and tennis courts; weight and exercise rooms; athletic training room; laboratories. Dr. Lowell R. Gillett was BSU president from 1982 to 1990.
John S. Glas Fieldhouse: Fieldhouse and hockey arena. Mr. John Glas was Acting President from 1967-1968 and a Vice President for Administrative Affairs.
Athletic Fields: Baseball, football, softball and intramural fields; tennis courts.
Bangsberg Fine Arts Complex: Faculty and departmental/program offices for theatre and speech communication, music, and mass communication; studios; classrooms; Thompson Recital Hall; main stage and "black box" theatres; rehearsal rooms; KAWE public television offices. Bangsberg facilities are utilized by both the campus and the community. Dr. Harry F. Bangsberg was BSU president from 1964 to 1967.
Harry A. Bridgeman Hall: Faculty and departmental/program offices for industrial technology/graphic design; classrooms; manufacturing, construction, graphics, computer, and electronics/energy laboratories; equipment for computer assisted engineer modeling design, numerical control and robotics. Mr. Bridgeman was a Minnesota state senator.
A.C. Clark Library: Books, periodicals, audio visual materials, microforms, maps, government publications, art prints and other library holdings; on-line bibliographic searching; computerized catalog; special collections; inter-library loan systems; media production; classroom; office of the Library Dean. Dr. Clark, a professor of social sciences, was acting president from 1942-1946 and again in 1964.
Decker Hall: Faculty and departmental/program offices for accounting, business administration and economics; the Center for Social and Behavioral Research. Dr. R. D. Decker was BSU president from 1968 to 1980.
Manfred W. Deputy Hall: Offices of the President, the Senior Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs, the Vice President for Development and the Vice President for Administrative Affairs; administrative offices; Center for Extended Learning; Office of Admissions and Scholarships; Records Office; KBSU University television studio; KBSB and KDRS University radio stations; KAWE public television studios; Campus Computing Center; student/faculty/staff Macintosh computer laboratory; faculty and program offices for nursing. Dr. Deputy was the first president of BSU and served from 1919 to 1937.
Education/Art Building: Faculty and departmental/program offices for visual arts, professional education and anthropology; classrooms; auditorium; studies; professional education and anthropology laboratories; libraries; workrooms; Child Development Training Program (CDTP); Talley Art Gallery; office of the Dean of the College of Professional Studies.
Hagg-Sauer Hall: Faculty and departmental/program offices for computer science, criminal justice, English, geography, history, languages, mathematics, philosophy, political science, psychology, sociology, social work, women's studies and other programs; classrooms; seminar rooms; Writing Center; auditorium; map library; cartography, language, and computer laboratories; Center for Professional Development; office of the Dean of the College of Arts and Letters; office of the Dean of the College of the Sciences; Dr. Harold T. Hagg was a division chair and professor of history. Dr. Philip R. Sauer was a division chair and professor of English.
C.V. Hobson Memorial Student Union: campus information desk; automatic teller machine (ATM); check cashing; lounges; ballroom; meeting rooms; private dining rooms; food court; game rooms; variety store; Adult Learner Lounge; Student Senate; Hobson Union Board; Northern Student newspaper; Outdoor Recreation Center; Student Legal Assistance Center; Touche Art Gallery; Women's Center. Dr. Hobson was a professor of geography and a student personnel counselor.
C.V. Hobson Forest: Located eleven miles from the University, this 240 acre forest/marshland serves as an outdoor laboratory for instructional and recreational uses.
Memorial Hall: Offices; classrooms; multi-purpose gymnasium; printing services; Beaver Bookstore. Named in honor of American participants in World War II.
David Park House: Office of the Vice President for University Advancement; Special Events Office; the BSU Foundation; the Alumni Association. The David Park House is the only Bemidji residence on the National Register of Historic Places, and was purchased jointly by the Alumni Association and the BSU Foundation.
Harold T. Peters Aquatic Laboratory: Lecture room; laboratory; aquarium; workshop. This facility utilizes Lake Bemidji as a fresh water laboratory for the aquatic biology program. Dr. Peters was a professor of biology.
Birch Hall: Student residence; Health Service; Counseling Center.
Linden Hall: Student residence; conference and short-term guest housing.
Maple Hall: Student residence.
Oak Hall: Student residence; computer laboratory.
Pine Hall: Student residence and Cedar Apartments for single parents.
Tamarack Hall: Student residence.
Walnut Hall: Residence hall dining; private dining rooms; offices for residential life (on-campus housing), campus security, and janitorial services.
Maria Sanford Hall: Veterans Services; Educational Development Center (EDC); Indian Student Services; Pier 9; Placement Center; faculty and program offices for Indian Studies; Upward Bound Project; classrooms. Ms. Sanford was a prominent turn-of-the-century Minnesota educator.
Charles R. Sattgast Hall of Science: Faculty and departmental/program offices for chemistry, physics, biology and geology; laboratories; animal rooms; greenhouse; Center for Environmental Studies; Native Americans Into Medicine (NAM). Dr. Sattgast was BSU president from 1938 to 1964. He was on leave from office from 1943 to 1946 for military service.
Waterfront: Facilities for the University's canoes, laboratory barges, sailboats and power boats. The waterfront is used for classes and laboratory activities in aquatic biology, canoeing, sailing, other aquatic sports and for leisure shoreline and water activities.