Skip Navigation

Back to Basics

Parking and Transportation

Where to park? As a graduate student, the expense and hassle of a parking ticket or confusion over where to park can cause added stress.  We want to help prevent this unnecessary burden by informing you in advance about Bemidji State's parking and transportation options.  

Parking Permits
Alternative Transportation

If you would like to park on campus, students have three main options: BSU parking lots, metered parking, and Bemidji street parking. 

Lot Parking

A permit is required for most BSU lots from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, starting the 1st day of classes each year.  Dormitory lots require a permit at all times.  For details on specific lots, see information on "Parking Permits" or visit the Public Safety website.

Metered Parking

Parking meters are available in various locations throughout campus to allow for convenient short term parking.  All meters are enforced 24 hours a day 7 days a week the entire year, there are no exceptions.  Meter time limits are set at a maximum of 4 hours to a minimum of 6 minutes for each meter.  Each meter is labeled with meter enforcement hours, denomination fees and maximum hour limits.  Individuals parked in a metered stall are responsible for the information listed on the meter. 

All meter fees are 1 nickel = 6 min, 1 dime = 12 min, or 25 cents per ½ hour.  Some meters accept a parking card, which has no expiration date, comes in two versions - a $50 card, costing $40, and a $25 card, costing $20 - and can be purchased at the Cashiers office.  If a meter malfunctions, please notify Public Safety at 3888.

Street Parking

Street parking is free! Bemidji State University does not enforce parking regulations on the streets that border or encompass the campus.  These areas are regulated and enforced by the City of Bemidji. 

Watch for signs! Most of the area streets have parking restrictions that are indicated by signs placed along the roadway and it's important to be aware of these restrictions.  Many areas are restricted by the day of the week (calendar parking) or the time of the year (seasonal parking) which restricts parking between 12:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. from November 1st through April 30th.

Disabled Parking

Vehicles displaying a valid disabled parking permit or license plate, regardless of the state of issue, may park in any designated disabled parking stall.  If a disabled parking stall is not available the vehicle may be parked in any legal stall on campus without a BSU parking permit, including metered stalls at no charge.

For students, faculty and staff who are temporarily disabled, a temporary disabled permit is available at the Security Office, 755-3888, Walnut Hall.  Supporting documentation of temporary disability is required prior to issuance of a temporary disabled permit.  Temporary disabled permits may be issued for up to two weeks.  Persons with disabilities requiring disabled parking privileges beyond two weeks must apply with the State of Minnesota for a temporary disabled parking permit.

Back to Top

Parking Permits

All motor vehicles that park on campus during the academic year are required to display a current permit for the lot in which they will be parked.  In order to purchase a parking permit, the vehicle must be registered at the Cashiers Office (2nd floor Deputy Hall), 755-2045.  The make, model, color, and license state/number of the vehicle is required for registration at the time of purchase.

Permit prices have a broad range depending on the lot. Charts of permit prices and lot designations are located under "Parking Permits" on the Public Safety website.  A Parking Permit form can be obtained from the Cashiers office or can be found online at "Parking Regulations" on the Public Safety website or Business Services website. The Parking Permit form along with the payment must be hand-delivered or mailed to the Cashiers Office of Deputy Hall 202.

Parking Violations and Appeals

If you should find yourself at the wrong end of a "violation envelope" (also known as a BSU campus ticket), there are two options: a) pay the fine or b) appeal.

Paying the Fine

Parking violations are due upon issuance of the violation envelope. Payment can be made by simply placing the fine in the envelope, sealing it, fixing a stamp and dropping the envelope in any mailbox.  Violation envelopes may also be hand-delivered to the Campus Security Office of Walnut Hall.  For details on specific fines, you may access the chart under 'Types of Violations" on the Public Safety website.

Vehicles that have outstanding campus parking violations may be towed or immobilized by campus parking authorities.  If a vehicle has been towed or immobilized, it will be necessary for the operator of the vehicle to pay all outstanding parking violations and towing or immobilization fees before the vehicle will be released.  The fee assessed by the towing company may vary.  The immobilization fee is $60.00.  Notices of outstanding violations may be sent to the registered owner of the vehicle.  This notification is not required prior to towing or immobilization of any vehicle with outstanding violations.

Appealing the Fine 

If you receive a violation you feel was issued in error, you have the right to appeal the violation to the Parking Advisory Board for review.  The Parking Advisory Board is comprised of students, faculty and staff.  An appeal should be based on the fact the violation notice was issued contrary to the "BSU Parking Rules and Regulations" or in error.  An appeal is only valid if it is presented within ten days of receipt of the violation being appealed.  You must pay in full the ticket(s) being appealed prior to that Parking Advisory Board's review.  To submit an appeal, complete a Parking Violation Appeal Form, available at Department of Security & Safety Office, located in Walnut Hall. For more information, contact the Security Office (218-755-3888), or visit the Public Safety website.

Back to Top

Alternative Transportation

If you live in Beltrami County and want to avoid the cost and hassle of parking on campus, there are other options for transportation besides driving yourself. 

Bemidji Cab Company

The Bemidji Cab Company is a taxi service company providing local taxicab transportation in Bemidji, MN.  Contact Bemidji Cab directly for rates and information: (218) 759-1368,
919 15th St NW,
Bemidji, MN 56601.

Paul Bunyan Transit

Paul Bunyan Transit provides public transportation for Beltrami County and the city of Bemidji.  Paul Bunyan provides both Dial-a-Ride and scheduled stops.  For more information on Dial-a-Ride and transportation schedules, call (218) 751-8765 or visit their website at:

Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view and print PDF files.

 Back to Top

Back to Basics