grad_com is an electronic newsletter from the BSU School of Graduate Studies. If you have ideas, send them to, with Attn: Anne in the subject line.

Vol. 2, No. 4

December 2005


The Process

Registration: Grad classes

Starting the count of seven years to complete a degree

Form 1: Applying for admission to graduate studies

Completing 13-16 graduate credits after admission

Form 2: Applying for candidacy in a graduate degree program

Taking the written exam at the end of course work

Form 3: Proposing a research paper or thesis

Doing the work and writing the results

Form 4: Applying for graduation

Submitting the research paper or thesis for review

Form 5: Scheduling the oral examination

Defending your graduate work



Q&A: Summer Graduation?

Q: If I finish next summer, when do I “graduate”?

A: You have two dates. First, with good academic standing and no more than 12 credits of course work to complete before September 1, you may participate in the spring Commencement ceremonies on Friday, May 12.

Commencement: Submit Form 4 (Application for Graduation) and the non-refundable $10.00 graduation fee by April 1, 2006.

Graduation date: Your official graduation is in August. If you do not plan to participate in Commencement, submit Form 4 during spring semester.


This month . . .

·      Extended Learning – CEL

·      Graduate Options in Education

·      The Process: Form 3 and Paper/Thesis

·      Q&A: Summer Graduation?

Extended Learning – CEL

The Center for Extended Learning (CEL) offers distance learning courses for degree programs, teacher licensure, and lifelong learning. Delivery methods include online, interactive television (ITV) / extension, and guided / self-directed courses.

Programs. Graduate programs offered through CEL:

MS in Education – for in-service preK-12 and post-secondary teachers

Includes core courses and a cognate area; one cognate area is Educational/Information Communications and Technology in collaboration with MSU Moorhead.

MS in Special Education – for in-service preK-12 and post-secondary teachers

Additional licensure – available to special graduate students in a variety of areas

MS in Industrial Technology – for non-teaching individuals in industrial technology, manufacturing, business and enterprise quality leadership

Process. Select a current schedule from, then scroll down to the CEL courses. Contact CEL and/or the School of Graduate Studies to ensure eligibility to register for graduate courses. Register online at the CEL website; CEL will mail course materials. Once the course begins, communicate with the instructor; however, CEL is available as a site for proctoring tests in some courses.

Point of Contact. CEL, Deputy 333, 218-755-2068, 800-852-7422, Website:

Graduate Options in Education

Designed for in-service preK-12 and post-secondary teachers, the Master of Science in Education consists of seven online core courses combined with two options.

Online core. Courses address the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards:

·    Educational Research                                • Curriculum and Instruction

·    Advanced Educational Psychology            • Instructional Design

·    The Learning Community                           • Directed Group Study

·    Critical and Creative Thinking

Cognate option. Individualize your degree with an emphasis in your teaching field. Courses are offered on campus or through CEL.

For more information about the Educational/Information Communications and Technology cognate in collaboration with MSU Moorhead, go to or contact Dr. Patricia Rogers, Graduate Coordinator, 218-368-0341,

Leadership option. Gain the foundation for your administrative license. In collaboration with St. Cloud State University, courses are offered spring 2006 semester on campus at BSU. For more information, go to or contact Dr. Charles Moore, 320-308-2160,

                                     The Process: Form 3 and Paper/Thesis

Form 3: Write your research proposal per guidelines of your department or program. Fill out Form 3, obtain signatures from your committee members, and submit the form to the School of Graduate Studies.

Paper/Thesis: Prepare both with the guidance of your committee and according to the Handbook for the Preparation of the Thesis or Research Paper (the link is on the Graduate Forms web page). Submit one original copy to the School of Graduate Studies.

Paper – 2 credits. Thesis – 4-6 credits; demonstrate your ability to work independently, and give evidence of independent thought in perceiving problems and making satisfactory progress toward their solution; submit an additional photocopy to the School of Graduate Studies.

For current forms and information, go to and select the Graduate Forms link.

We want to make grad_com useful for you. Let us know what you would like to see on these pages by contacting the School of Graduate Studies, Decker Hall 110, 218-755-2027 (toll-free: 1-888-386-8464),