grad_com is an electronic newsletter from the BSU School of Graduate Studies. If you have ideas, send them to, with Attn: Anne in the subject line.

Vol. 2, No. 2

October 2005


The Process

Form 1: Applying for admission to graduate studies

Starting the count of seven years to complete the degree

Form 2: Applying for candidacy in a graduate degree program

Taking the written exam at the end of course work

Form 3: Proposing a research paper or thesis

Doing the work and writing the results

Form 4: Applying for graduation

Submitting the research paper or thesis for review

Form 5: Scheduling the oral examination

Defending your graduate work




Q&A: Where Can I Store My Stuff?

Q: When Iím on campus, where can I store my stuff (e.g. coat), so I donít have to lug it around?

A: In a locker, free for students. How to get one:

1. Find your locker of choice and remember the locker number.

2. Go to the information desk on the second floor of the Upper Union (or to Decker 112).

3. Sign out your locker for the semester or academic year.

Locker locations:

     Hall/tunnel between library and Upper Union

     Hagg-Sauer Hall, 2nd floor, near skyway to Bridgeman Hall

     Sattgast Hall, 2nd floor, tunnel between Sattgast and Memorial

     Decker Hall, in hall outside Graduate Studies office (go to Decker 112 to sign out locker)



This month . . .

      Parking in Lots and Lots of Parking

      The Process: Form 1 and Seven Years

      Q&A: Where Can I Store My Stuff?

Parking in Lots and Lots of Parking

Where to park? Students have four options: BSU parking lots, metered parking, Bemidji street parking, and other types of parking. For details, go to

Lots: Lot parking has changed. For information, costs, and restrictions, pick up a Campus Parking 2005-2006 booklet at the cashierís office in Deputy Hall, 2nd floor.

Meters: Recommended for infrequent visits, meters are placed throughout campus. All are labeled with the maximum parking time allowed. Some meters accept a parking card, which has no expiration date and comes in two versions: $50 and $25, costing $40 and $20.

††† Location†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Qty††††† Max Time†††††† Card?

††† Bangsberg parking lot†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† 16††††††† 8 hrs††††††††††††† Yes

††† 14th St near Bangsberg parking lot††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† 4††††††† 1 hr††††††††††††††† No

††† Lower Union, lakeside, near Sattgast†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† 2††††††† 30 min††††††††††† Yes

††† American Indian Resource Center parking lot†††††††††††††††††††††† 2††††††† 1.5 hrs†††††††††† Yes

††† Birch Hall parking lot (1-1 hr, 1-1.5 hrs, 2-4 hrs)††††††††††††††††† 4††††††† 1-4 hrs†††††††††† No

††† Decker Hall parking lot†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† 2††††††† 4 hrs††††††††††††† Yes

††† Recreation-Fitness Center parking lot††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† 12††††††† 4 hrs††††††††††††† Yes

††† Physical Education parking lot (6-1 hr, 5-1.5 hrs, 3-4 hrs)†† 14††††††† 1-4 hrs†††††††††† No

††† Oak Hall parking lot†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† 8††††††† 30 min††††††††††† No

Streets: Free with perhaps some walking, but watch for signs. Odd-even: Depending on the date, park on one side or the other. Seasonal: For snow removal at night between November 1 and April 30, park between 7 a.m. and midnight.

Other: Handicapped: Free for properly marked vehicles; spaces throughout campus. Diamond Point Park: Open 10 am to 10 pm; parking enforced by Bemidji; closed in winter. Lake Bemidji: Available in winter; parking enforced by DNR and county sheriff; accesses at Paul and Babe and at Cameron Park (north of campus off Birchmont Dr).

The Process: Form 1 and Seven Years

Regular or Special: A regular graduate student is pursuing a masterís degree in a specific field of study. A special graduate student is pursuing graduate course work without a planned objective, but with the goal of personal and/or professional enrichment (e.g. licensure). Special students fill out a Graduate Special Student Application to begin taking courses for an indefinite period of time, provided that a 3.00 (B) grade point average is maintained.

Seven Years for All: Regardless of status, the seven-year clock starts once you begin taking graduate-level courses. Graduate coursework older than seven years will not count toward a graduate degree; the restriction includes transfer credits.

Form 1: The basics are the same for all regular graduate students: Fill out the confidential information and Form 1, print them, sign Form 1, attach a check for $20 made payable to BSU, and mail or bring them to the School of Graduate Studies. You also have the option of applying and paying electronically.


For current forms and information, go to and select the Graduate Forms link.

We want to make grad_com useful for you. Let us know what you would like to see on these pages by contacting the School of Graduate Studies, Decker Hall 110, 218-755-2027 (toll-free: 1-888-386-8464),