Office/Department: Human Performance, Sport, and Health
Location: Physical Education Complex 207
Phone: (218) 755-4099
Box #: 29
Shannon is in her second year as an assistant professor at BSU. Prior to BSU, she taught and supervised Physical Education majors at the University of South Dakota in the kinesiology and sport science department. Shannon also spent 12 years at Duluth Edison Charter Schools teaching K-8 health and physical education. She is an active board member for MNSHAPE (Minnesota Society of Health and Physical Educators), serving as the representative for higher education.
Doctor of Education, 2012
University of Minnesota
Dissertation title: Mental Skills Training Experience of NCAA Division II Softball Catchers
Master of Education, 2003
University of Minnesota-Duluth
Area of Concentration: Teaching and Learning
Thesis Title: Teacher Strategies for Creating Safe School Environments for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Students.
Bachelor of Science, 1999
University of Wisconsin-Superior
Degree: K-12 Physical Education, Health Education, Coaching
Licensure: Minnesota Teaching License: K-12 Physical Education and 5-12 Health
Current Teaching assignments include:
- PHED 1240: Techniques in Neuromuscular Relaxation
- PHED 1890: Lifetime Fitness
- HLTH 3200/5200: Personal and Consumer Health
- HLTH 3710: Disease Prevention and Epidemiology
- HLTH 3400/5400: Drugs in Society
- HLTH 4100/5100: Teaching Elementary School Health
- HLTH 4970: Practicum and Health Teaching
- HLTH 4206/5206: Secondary School Health
- PHED 3120: Psychology of Sport
- PHED 4309/5309: Legal Aspects of Sport, Health & Fitness
- Psychological aspects of sport, physical education and health.
- Effective teaching practices in physical education and health
Shim, A.L., Norman, S.P. (in press). Incorporating Pedal-less Bicycles into a Pre-K through 3rd grade Curriculum to Improve Stability in Children. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance.
Shim, A. L., Cross, P., Norman, S., Hauer, P. (2014) Assessing Various Body Composition Measurements as an Appropriate Tool for Estimating Body Fat in Division 1 Female Collegiate Athletes. American Journal of Sports Science and Medicine. Vol. 23 Issue (6).
Shim, A.L., Norman, S.P., Kim, Y.A. (2013) Teaching Balance Training to Improve Stability and Cognition for Children. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, Volume 84:(9)
Son, V., & Norman, S. (2014) Does culture matter? A cross-cultural study of causal attribution and self-efficacy between US and Korea. Association for Applied Sport Psychology, AASP Annual Conference, Las Vegas, NV. October 15-18th, 2014.
Norman, S., (2014) Teaching Balance Training to Improve Stability and Cognition for Children Using Balance Boards. National Strength and Conditioning Association, North Central Regional Clinic, Cedar Falls, IA. April 12-13, 2014.
Norman, S., (2013) Fitness Routine Activities for Elementary and Secondary Students in Physical Education. South Dakota Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance Annual Convention, Brookings, SD. November 6-8th, 2013.
Norman, S., (2013) Mental Skills Training: A Student-Athlete’s Experience to Developing Coping Skills on the Field and in the Classroom. 36th Annual Eastern Educational Research Association Conference, Sarasota, FL. February 20-23rd, 2013.
- MN Society of Health and Physical Educators (MNSHAPE)
- National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA)
- Association of Applied Sport Psychology (AASP)