The key to success when leasing property is to know your rights and responsibilities. The following questions can help you evaluate a particular rental property or landlord.
- Is a co-signer required on the lease?
- Who pays for electricity, gas, water, trash, cable, DSL?
- When is rent due? Are there fees charged for late payment?
- What repairs and cleaning will the landlord do?
- Who maintains the yard and handles the snow removal?
- What is the policy on keeping pets of having pets visit?
- Is garbage pick up included in the rent? When is pick up? Where do recyclables go?
- How many parking spaces come with the unit? What are parking expectations?
- What are the exact move-in/out dates?
- What is the security deposit and conditions for return?
- What circumstances allow for lease termination and subleasing?
- How will the landlord give notice before entering the premises?
- Are there restrictions on parties, noise levels, smoking, etc?
You should consider buying renter’s insurance to help protect your belongings while renting.