More than a dozen spots remain open for summer swimming lessons at Bemidji State University’s Gillett Recreation-Fitness Center.
Lessons begin June 5 and run through Aug. 2, from 4-6:15 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. Cost is $55 per session. To register, or to request additional information, call the Rec Center at 755-4140. Spaces are limited, so interested participants are encouraged to register soon.
Swimming lessons at BSU are taught by trained water safety instructors and will follow the American Red Cross Learn to Swim Program. Experience levels include parent/tot through Red Cross Level 5.
• Parent/Tot classes for ages 1-3 are held from 4-4:35 p.m. from June 5-28. A parent is required to be in the pool with their children.
• Level 1 classes are full.
• Level 2 classes are offered in two sessions. The first session is 5:30-6:05 p.m. from June 5-28 and the second is 4-4:35 p.m. from July 10-Aug. 2
• Level 3 classes are offered from 4:45-5:20 p.m. from July 10-Aug. 2.
• Level 4 classes are offered from 5:30-6:05 p.m. from July 10-Aug. 2.
• Level 5 classes are offered from 4-4:35 p.m. from June 5-28.
Skill levels follow criteria set by the American Red Cross. Level 1 is an introduction to water skills designed to help students feel comfortable in the water; Level 2 provides fundamental acquatic skills; Level 3 focuses on stroke development; Level 4 on stroke improvement; and Level 5 on stroke refinement.
For more information, contact Duane Biehn, associate director of campus recreation, at (218) 755-4140.