Classified Position Descriptions
Position Descriptions should be reviewed and/or updated once a year, usually in conjunction with an employee’s performance evaluation. A paper copy, along with an electronic copy, of the signed position description should be provided to Human Resources a minimum of every 3 years.
In addition a position description should be reviewed and/or updated in the following situations; based on organizational need, when duties have changed significantly and/or when the position becomes vacant.
Writing a Position Description
- Access the Classified Position Description form (above).
- Definition of the different fields on the position description form.
- Review the current position description to determine what changes you need to make, if any. Ask the incumbent questions about their work and observe their work.
- Review/print the applicable Job Class Specification – MMB.
- Check with HR for examples of other position descriptions for positions performing similar work.
- Provide a paper copy along with an electronic copy of the updated, completed and signed position description to Human Resources.
- Reclassifications for Classified Employees – Reallocation/Change in Allocation
- Request for Reclassification Procedure