Skip Navigation

VA Educational Benefits

To become ELIGIBLE for VA Education Benefits a student needs to apply through the VA.  The VA makes all determinations of eligibility.  The Records Office has applications available for most chapters.  A student may be CERTIFIED after being admitted to BSU and pre-registering for classes.  A student could also apply for FINANCIAL AID, the VA benefits may not be sufficient to cover all educational costs. (VA students are paid benefits based on the number of approved credit hours they carry and not on the cost of the school they choose to attend.) How much YOU PAY is based on the type of training you take, length of your service, your category, and if you received kickers, as well as your enrollment status.  Students can be full-time, 3/4 time, 1/2 time or less than 1/2 time.

Contact the Veterans Resource Center for assistance with understanding and applying for benefits.

Students who are eligible to receive VA education benefits may fall into one of the following categories (chapters):

  • Chapter 30 - Active duty service person
  • Chapter 16 - Active Selective Reservist or National Guards person
  • Chapter 30 - Veteran (discharged or separated service person)
  • Chapter 35 - Veteran's dependent (spouse, surviving spouse, or child)
  • Chapter 31 - Disabled veteran
As Certifying Office for VA Education Benefits, the Records Office is responsible for certifying enrollment and changes in enrollment of eligible students to the VA.

Contact the VA:

Phone: 1-888-442-4551