Skip Navigation


Grants are considered gift aid that you don't have to repay and are often based on financial need. After you complete the FAFSA and are admitted to BSU, you will be considered for an array of federal, state and university grants. No additional application is required for most of them. Below is a list of what is available, including any additional criteria.

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is the foundation of federal student aid, awarded to undergraduate students with the lowest Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The award amount changes annually and varies with level of enrollment. Federal Pell Grant recipients must finalize all registration within the first 30 days of the semester. A student who withdraws from one or more courses within the first 30 days of the semester will have their Pell grant award reduced to the adjusted level of enrollment. Beginning with Fall 2012, Pell Grant eligibility is limited to 12 full-time semesters or the equivalent. You can learn more here.

Federal Supplemental Educational Grant (FSEOG)

Like the Pell grant, the FSEOG is awarded to undergraduate students with the lowest EFC. Priority must be given to Pell Grant recipients. Very limited funds are available, so it is critical to apply by the priority deadline of March 31 to be considered for this grant. Find more information here.

Minnesota State Grant

The Minnesota State Grant is awarded to undergraduate Minnesota residents with a low EFC. Eligibility is limited to 4 years of full-time enrollment in any post-secondary institution. Awards change on a per credit basis for enrollment between 3 and 15 credits.


Awarded to undergraduate and graduate students admitted into a high-need subject area with a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher. Within 8 years of completing/ceasing their program the student must teach full time for four years in their high-need area in a designated low income school or the TEACH Grant will become an unsubsidized loan with accrued interest. Additional information can be found in the TEACH Grant Information Sheet and the Application.

Minnesota Postsecondary Child Care Grant

Undergraduate Minnesota residents who meet income guidelines are considered for this grant. They must have a dependent child 12 years of age or younger who will be receiving care regularly. Eligibility is restricted to those students who are not receiving Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) benefits and who have not attended four years of post-secondary education. Get more information here.

Athletic Grants

BSU provides individual grants to deserving athletes. They are awarded by the coaches in each sport and may vary in amounts based upon individual athletic ability. Athletic grants are regulated by BSU, NCAA and league rules and regulations.

Veterans Benefits

Veterans may earn educational benefits based on their U.S. military service. Use the following links to find information:

American Indian Grants and Scholarship

Minnesota residents with documented one-fourth or more Indian ancestry may be eligible for the Minnesota Indian Scholarship Program. Students of Indian ancestry may also be eligible for American Indian Tribal Grants. Students should contact their individual Tribal Education Office for specific information and application forms.

Division of Rehabilitation Services (DRS)

Educational benefits are available through the Rehabilitation Services Office for people with disabilities to help achieve their employment and independent living goals. For more information and eligibility criteria, click here.

Recommended Reading

Have you completed your FAFSA application? Check your status here.