Skip to Content

Fall 2014

Building & Info Desk

Mon. - Fri. 7 a.m. - 11 p.m.

Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. - 11 p.m.

Lakeside Food Court

Mon. - Fri. 10:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.


Bucky's Quick Stop

Mon. - Thurs. 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Fri. 8:30 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Java City

Mon. - Thurs. 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Friday 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.


Einstein Bros. Bagels

Mon. - Thurs. 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Friday 7 a.m. - 3 p.m.


University Bookstore

Mon. -  Fri. 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.


Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union

Mon. - Fri. 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.



Contact Info

“We can easily manage if we will only take, each day, the burden appointed to it. But the load will be too heavy for us if we carry yesterday's burden over again today, and then add the burden of the morrow before we are required to bear it.”
˜ John Newton


Organization Accounts
On-Campus Accounts
Off-Campus Accounts
Guidelines for Administration of Accounts
SAFAC Funding
CAB Funding
HMU Programming Grant
Co-Sponsorship of Events


Each organization should designate a treasurer or an officer to assume the duties of the treasurer.  The treasurer is in charge of the organization’s finances and bookkeeping.  The treasurer should receive and bank all monies due the organization, pay all bills, and report to the organization at each meeting.  Both the treasurer and the organization president should sign checks.  (Although these responsibilities are delegated to the officers of the organization, it is the duty of the advisor to monitor the organization’s accounts.)  All correspondence concerning organization finances is sent directly to the advisor, who is to forward it to the appropriate organization officers.  This provides the advisor the opportunity to be aware of the organization’s financial situation and prevent the organization from incurring a negative account balance.  We ask that organization officers or advisors make sure the names of authorized officers are changed with the bank for off-campus accounts as officer changes occur.

MnSCU and BSU have established guidelines for the administration of student organization accounts.  We ask that your organization follow these guidelines and direct any questions regarding them to the Associate Director.  University policy requires any student organization which receives student activity monies to establish an on-campus account and deposit the allocation into that account.  Organizations that do not receive allocations of student activity funds may also establish an on-campus account.  However, student organizations with off-campus accounts with balances exceeding $500 must deposit the excess funds in an on-campus account. All newly-organized groups are encouraged to establish an on-campus account – no off-campus accounts are allowed for any new organization. 


Late Spring semester you will be contacted to register your organization for the upcoming academic year.  The section of the form pertaining to your organization account location is the way in which we become aware of which types of accounts your organization has.  Even if you have an on-campus account, please indicate this and provide your account number.  All organizations may establish on-campus accounts. Each advisor has access to the student organization's account informaton and can review it online.

 Benefits to having the account on campus include:

•    A tax-exempt status when purchases are made from a university account.

•    The Check Request Form providing a record of all payments.

•    The Check Request Form providing a record of all payments.

To draw funds out of an account on campus, the treasurer must complete a Check Request Form (a sample Check Request Form is available online) available from the HMU Information Desk.  The processing of this form takes 2-3 days – please plan ahead for your financial needs.  To reimburse members for expenses paid through personal accounts, the organization should utilize the Student Expense Report, available from the Business Services page (

The form must be signed by the requestor (organization member) and advisor and then brought to the Associate Director for his/her signature.  It will be delivered to the Accounting Services Office for processing.  The check should be ready to be picked up at the Cashier’s Office, located in Deputy Hall, within 2-3 days.

To deposit funds into your on campus account, visit the Cashier’s Office, located in Deputy Hall, 2nd floor.


If your organization has an off-campus account, it is important that you inform us of this on the account location section of the Intent To Be Active Form.  Please include the name of the bank and account number at which your account is located.  It is necessary that both the organization treasurer and organization president/chair sign all organization checks.  We also recommend that arrangements be made to have all account statements from the bank sent to the organization advisor to ensure financial continuity.  It is the duty of the organization officers or advisor to make sure that the names of current officers are updated with the bank.  Because these accounts are in off-campus facilities, the Associate Director cannot do this for you.  The organization is responsible for this account just as an individual is responsible for a personal account.

Student Organizations with off-campus accounts must file a Monthly Financial Statement (a sample Monthly Financial Statement Form is available online). The forms may be obtained from the HMU Information Desk.  They must then be filled out by the organization and returned to the Associate Director, where they are kept on file.  Please note that if your off-campus account balance exceeds $500 you are required to deposit the balance over $500 in an on-campus account. It’s a policy of MnSCU and the Business Office, and we are responsible for upholding it.  In the event of a special circumstance or period of time where your off-campus account would need to exceed $500, please contact the Associate Director.  If your organization has both an on and off campus account, you must still file a Monthly Financial Statement for off-campus accounts each month.  Do not include information for your on-campus account on this form.  You will receive a computerized account summary for that account.


MnSCU, along with BSU, has established guidelines for the administration of student organization accounts.  The guidelines have been divided into two parts and are stated below.  We ask that your organization follow these guidelines and direct any questions regarding them to the Associate Director.

I.    State University System Policy

A.  Purpose
       This policy provides the basis by which the State Universities shall provide for the
      effective fiscal management of student organization accounts within the university
      activity fund and through agency accounts.

         B.  Policy
                1.  A student organization which receives allocations of student activity monies shall
                     deposit and expend all allocations and other income through an account within the
             university activity fund.  (Note:  No agency accounts or off-campus accounts are
                     permitted for these student groups.)

                2.  Student groups recognized as official organizations through a University’s internal
            process shall deposit all funds in excess of $500 per year which are earned as the
            result of full or partial use of University facilities, equipment, material and personnel
            in an agency account in the University activity fund.

       3.  Student organizations which do not receive student activity allocations and earn less
            than $500 per year as a result of full or partial use of University facilities, equipment,
            material and personnel may elect to establish an agency account within the
            University activity fund.  The establishment of such agency accounts shall be at the
            University’s discretion.  The Associate Director must have the account numbers on file.

II.    BSU Policies/Procedures

A.  Student organizations that are required or permitted to have on-campus accounts shall  
      deposit all income into the appropriate account.

B.  The accounts of all student organizations are subject to monthly review by the University.
The following procedure will be used:

                 1.  The Associate Director will receive monthly computer print-outs of all student
                      organization agency accounts.                          

                 2.  Those organizations with off-campus accounts are required to submit monthly
                      financial statements, specifying expenditures and income to the Associate Director.
           C.  Fund transfers between accounts or object codes must be approved by the student
                 organization advisor and the Associate Director.

           D.  The equipment purchase of the student activity-funded student organizations must be
                 approved by SAFAC (Student Activity Fee Allocation Committee) and the Vice-President
                 for Administrative Affairs.  Equipment purchases will normally only be approved in                        
                 special situations, usually when SAFAC initiates or invites such purchases.

           E.  Requests for equipment purchases from agency accounts must be forwarded to the
                Associate Director.  The Associate Director will submit the request to the appropriate Vice-

           F.  Student activity fee-funded organizations/activities shall specify all sources and amounts of
    projected income at the time of their budget requests.

          G.  The student organization advisor shall be responsible for informing the organization of
                relevant University policies including those in the Student Organizations Manual,
                the Student Guide/Planner, and Student Activities Fee Allocation Committee Handbook.
                It is then the responsibility of the student organization to comply with those policies.
                Failure to do so may result in any or all of the following sanctions:

               1.  A freeze on the account(s).

               2.  Loss of future funding by SAFAC.

               3.  Loss of the use of University facilities.

               4.  Loss of recognition status.

SAFAC FUNDING (Student Activities Fee & Allocation Committee Funding):

An organization’s budget often determines the extent and nature of the given organization’s activity.  Fundraising is often an important activity for any organization.  The university recognizes that it is often necessary to have an operating budget in order to attract members and begin fundraising activities; for this reason, organizations may apply for SAFAC funding through the HMU Associate Director’s office.  This is an annual application process coordinated by SAFAC.

Organizations not funded by SAFAC for a given year are eligible for operational monies each year.  This funding is not granted automatically.  Organizations must have an updated Intent to be Active form on file by the fall deadline each year to be eligible. Organizations may receive this funding once at the beginning of fall semester of each academic year.  If the operational monies are not used by the end of the fiscal year, they will be reabsorbed by SAFAC.

FY12 Forms.-1.pdf

Form A and B 2011.pdf

CAB FUNDING (Campus Activities Board):

SAFAC has designated a sum of money to be used to support activities sponsored by recognized campus organizations which do not receive major funding from SAFAC.  This account is administered by CAB, with all requests for funding going through this board.  CAB will follow the guidelines stated below in reviewing all requests.

  •  A request must not exceed a total of $500.00. 
  • The program must be sponsored by a Student Senate recognized campus organization which does not receive major funding from SAFAC. 
  • The request must be presented to CAB a minimum of fourteen (14) days prior to the event. 
  • The Special Request Form must be completely filled out to be considered.   
  • A representative from the requesting organization must present the Special Request to the Campus Activities Board. 
  • Money will not be allocated to fund raffles – contact Associate Director. 
  • Money will not be allocated to send students to attend conferences, workshops, or retreats. 
  • An event evaluation and financial statement including all expenses and income must be submitted to the Hobson Union Programming Board following the program. 
  • Advertising MUST include “Co-Sponsored by CAB, SAFAC Funded.”  Advertising must not be done prior to the request being approved by CAB. 
  • The activity must be open to all university students and be held on the University or within the Bemidji community.


Student organizations are allowed to raise funds to meet the financial needs of their organization.  Members of the organization should adhere to the following guidelines in regards to fundraising.

•    A Fundraising Application must be submitted and approved by the Student Senate, HMU Associate Director and BSU Foundation, before the event is finalized and publicity started.  Fundraising Application forms may be picked up at the HMU Information Desk, Student Senate Office or on the HMU website.  The Fundraising Application must be submitted to the Student Senate no later than two weeks prior to the event.  This applies whether the event is held on or off campus.  It takes approximately 7-10 business days to process a request, please plan ahead.

•    The University prohibits off-campus agencies or individuals, University employees or students to engage in any form of on-campus solicitation that relates to the personal gain/profit of the solicitor.

•    The facility or area should be reserved prior to publicizing the event.  To reserve rooms anywhere on campus or table spaces in the Lower Hobson Union contact the Scheduling Office, HMU or via email at

•    Food-related sales must be approved and coordinated through Assistant Director (Scheduling Office), HMU.  To arrange for food service contact the ARAMARK offices in Walnut Dining Hall or call 444-7576.

•    Organizations must comply with State and University regulations regarding the use and consumption of alcohol.

•    The University supports the concept of fund raising for student organizations; however, University endorsement for special activities is not implied.

•    If a service is being purchased or rented such as a guest speaker, movie, band, etc. a contract should be used.  Contracts are available from the Associate Director.  All contracts must be signed by the Vice President for Administrative Affairs or designee.


Before you make decisions/plans on holding a raffle, please contact either the Associate Director or Director of Accounting Services – Deputy 201 (755-2014) for additional information or guidance.    


If a BSU student organization decides to co-sponsor an event with an outside agency the BSU organization must be actively involved in the event and the event must be in keeping with the purpose of the student organization.  Prior to entering a co-sponsorship, a written agreement should be completed which addresses the responsibilities of each organization.  Due to liabilities which may arise, student organizations are strongly urged not to co-sponsor events with outside agencies.