Skip Navigation

International Students


Program Center

Deputy Hall 103
Summer office hours: 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (M-F)
Office hours (during the Academic Year): 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (M-F)
Phone: 218.755.4096
Fax: 218.755.2074

Mailing Address:
1500 Birchmont Dr. NE #13
Bemidji, MN 56601-2907


International Students

On-Campus Employment

Laws and Regulations Governing On-Campus Employment for F-1 and J-1 Students

F-1 Students

U.S. immigration regulations permit F-1 students who have maintained immigration status, to accept on-campus employment without obtaining permission from any authority. An F-1 student may work on campus as long as the employment does not interfere with the student's ability to continue as a full-time student. (For graduate students, full-time enrollment is 9 semester hours, or 6 semester hours plus a graduate assistantship; for undergraduates, it is 12 semester hours. Enrollment in the summer session is not required.) On-campus employment is limited to 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters (including graduate assistantships), but may be full time during vacation periods. F-1 students cannot displace "U.S. resident" workers.

J-1 Students

A J-1 student working on campus must continue to be a full-time student (that s, enrolled for 12 hours as an undergraduate student, or 9 hours as a graduate students without a graduate assistantship, or 6 hours as a graduate student with a graduate assistantship.) Employment may not exceed 20 hours per week (including graduate assistantships) except during school breaks and the student’s annual vacation.

One de facto restriction concerning on-campus employment of both F-1 and J-1 students should be mentioned. That has to do with what is called the "Work-Study Program." The Work-Study Program is a financial aid program that is supported by the federal government. Like many federally-supported programs, it can be used only by U.S. citizens and permanent residents. International students are not eligible for federal or state funded “Work Study” jobs. International students are eligible for “Regular Payroll” positions. 

Many on-campus jobs are not work-study jobs, it should be emphasized, and many international students do succeed in finding on-campus work.

Finding a Job

Q. How do I find a job?

A. This is the listing of currently open on-campus jobs.

The food service for BSU (Aramark) as well as Bemidji State University bookstore (in Hobson Memorial Union) are other areas where you can work; both are separate payrolls from BSU's.



(Student employment office has that memo)

Q. What do I do after I find a job?

A. After you have been hired, you should receive a Regular Payroll Form from your supervisor. You fill out the top part of the form and your supervisor will fill out the bottom portion. Please bring this form to Deputy 203 along with your Student ID, Social Security Card, and your Passport, I-20, I-94. (you need to have a US Social Security number to work on campus). There will be four other forms that you are required to fill out:

  1. W4: Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate
  2. I9: Employee’s Eligibility Verification
  3. 8233: This form is filled out only if we have a tax treaty with your country.
    (if there is a treaty you will be eligible to be exempt from taxes)
  4. Tax Residency Information Form: helps determine and document your resident or nonresident status for tax purposes.

Q. How much can I work?

A. During school terms, no student can work more than 20 hours a week total; no matter where you work. Each department has their own budget and they will be determining how many hours that you will be working for their area.

Q. How much will I get paid?

A. The student wage rate starts at $7.75/hour and goes up to $8.75/hour depending on how many hours you have worked.

Q. How do I get my timesheet?

A. Your timesheet will be sent to your supervisor.

Q. How often do I get a timesheet?

A. Every two weeks, a new pay period begins every other Wednesday.

Q. Where do I turn my timesheet in?

A. Check with your supervisor. They may turn it in or request that you turn your timesheet in to the Payroll office (Deputy 203). Timesheets need to be turned in on the last day that is listed on your timesheet in order to get paid on Friday of the following week.

Q. Where and when do I get my paycheck?

A. Payday is the Friday of the following week after timesheets are due. Direct deposit of your paycheck is encouraged.

Other questions please contact:

Student Employment Office
218.755. 2859 or 218.755.2854
Deputy 203