The aims and goals of the International
Students Organization are:
- the development of mutual and cultural understanding among
students of all countries;
- the promotion of fraternal cooperation among its members;
- the assisting of practical orientations to all new international
students accepted to Bemidji State University;
- and to make a tangible contribution towards global understanding.
The name of the organization shall be the International
Student Organization (ISO) of Bemidji State University.
Membership is open to all students of Bemidji State University
who have an interest in, and desire to participate in the
activities of the organization.
Classification of members
a) Members – The members are all students who have
paid-up memberships. Members are expected to attend all meetings
and be allowed to vote on al matters brought before the organization.
Members are expected to be actively involved in the organization’s
projects and activities. They will enjoy certain privileges
in the organization.
b) Associate members – The Associate members will not
have the rights to vote and will not be responsible for dues.
All Associate members must participate in at least one meeting
and major event for the academic year. All activities of the
organization are open to associate members
The EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
The Executive Committee shall consist of the following:
- Vice President
- Communications Director
- Cultural Director
- Social Director
- Sport Director
The Executive Committee member shall serve for one year starting
June 1st. The Executive Committee must be members of the ISO.
- To run for a position on the Executive Committee;
- The candidate must be nominated by a full member
- The candidate must be a member at the time if
- The candidate must be not be on the election
committee of the annual election.
- The Executive Committee shall be elected by members.
- All elections must be held by secret ballot.
- Annual Election:
- The Executive Committee shall be responsible for appointing
an election Committee which shall consist of no more
than one member from the Executive Committee.
- The Election Committee shall be responsible for planning,
conducting, and setting up a proper procedure for an
- The Annual Election shall be held during Spring Quarter
for the following academic year.
- Special Election:
- The Executive Committee shall be responsible for all
Special Elections in the event that a vacancy occurs.
The Executive Committee shall have the right to vote on behalf
of the members on binding matters of the organization.
- The voting shall be a simple majority vote. No proxy and/or
absentee votes will be accepted.
- In case of a tie, the President shall vote to break the
Responsibilities of Officers:
- He/She shall preside at all general meetings.
- He/She calls the meeting to order and announces business
of the organization at each meeting.
- He/She directs discussion by calling people to order.
- He/She acts as the official representative of the
organizations to outside persons or to other constituencies.
- He/She shall appoint all committees.
- He/She shall call for a Special Election when a vacancy
occurs in an elected office (If there is only a month
prior to the end of the academic years no elections
shall be called).
- He/She shall vote only on case of a tie.
- Vice President:
- He/She shall oversee all committees and projects.
- He/She shall preside at all meetings of the organization
during the absence or disability of the President. When
acting as such he/she has all the duties, privileges,
and responsibilities of the President.
- He/She shall be the assistant to the President.
- He/She shall become the President of the organization
automatically in the event of the President’s
resignation. If he/she does not accept the position,
it will be open to all members. However, he/she shall
be the acting President for the organization until a
new President is elected.
- He/She shall keep the minutes of the general meetings
of the organization, and preserve all records, reports,
and documents of the organization in the ISO office.
- He/She shall make minutes accessible to all members—
the method to be determined by the executive Committee.
- He/She shall prepare a roll call of all members.
- He/She shall conduct all correspondence of the organization.
- He/She shall receive all payments to the organization.
- He/She shall keep accurate accounts of the organization
and prepare a financial report to be presented at the
end of each semester.
- He/She shall submit a financial statement to the President
and the auditor at the end of each semester.
- He/She shall issue receipts for all funds received.
- He/She shall automatically be the signatory of the
- Communications Director:
- He /She shall be responsible for all communications
pertinent to the organization.
- He/She shall be responsible for the publicity of the
organization to the university and communit
- Cultural Director:
- He/She shall be responsible for overseeing and promoting
cultural events related to ISO.
- He/She act as the liaison to he International Student
Advisor Office regarding cultural activities.
- He/She shall be a representative to the Student Senate
on MCIA (Minority, Cultural, and International Affairs)
- Social Director:
- He/She shall be responsible for coordinating social
activities of the organization.
- He/She shall be responsible for promoting members
participation in social activities.
- Sport Director:
- He/She shall be responsible for coordinating and promoting
sports vents pertinent to ISO.
- He/She shall be responsible for handling sports equipment.
The International Student Advisor shall act as the advisor
of the organization.
- He/She shall be appointed by the Executive Committee and
approved by the members with a simple majority vote.
- He/She shall audit the ISO accounts at the end of each
- He/She shall present the auditor’s report to the
Executive Committee at the end of the semester.
- He/She is expected to have bookkeeping background.
- At the first general meeting:
- A proposed administrative budget shall be voted upon
by the members
- A proposed petty cash budget shall be voted upon by
- The budget for any project/event that exceeds the petty
cash amount shall be approved by the members.
The membership fees shall be paid by each member on a
semester basis. This fee will be assessed and determined by
the incoming Executive Committee each year and a proposal
shall be presented for approval of members at the beginning
of each academic year.
Two thirds of the members shall form a quorum to discuss
and/or vote on binding matters of the organization. However,
under special circumstances, with the approval of members
present, the discussion can take place and the voting shall
be a simple majority vote.