Apply for Housing
New Students (those not returning from last year)
NTC and PSEO students must contact our office prior to submitting a housing application (see FAQ's below).
Steps for Applying for Housing Online:
- Confirm your enrollment with the Admissions Office. They will provide you with your BSU Portal log-in information.
- Log into the BSU Portal.
- Your username is typically the first 4 letters of your last name, the number 1, then the first 3 letters of your first name (ex: smit1joh for a student named John Smith)
- If you have not logged in before, your password is defaulted to your 8-digit student ID number.
- If this is your first time logging in to the Portal, you will be required to change your password; please follow the instructions shown.
- Once you have successfully logged into your BSU Portal, you will be taken to a page that says "Student Portal" at the top.
- On the left-hand side of this page, on the column for "Resources", click on the link for "E-Services".
- You will be brought to a new page titled "Do you know your e-services password?" (note that this password is different than your BSU Portal password).
- To the right, where the "No" and "We Can Help" boxes are, it will display your BSU Portal username.
- Enter in your BSU Portal password to determine your E-Services password; your E-Services password will be displayed in a light green box. Please make note of your password.
- Back to the left side of the page, click on the box titled "Go to MnSCU E-Services".
- You may be prompted to create a new password. Follow the available instructions.
- Once you have successfully logged in to E-Services, you will move to a page titled "Bemidji State University - My Dashboard".
- On the left column, select "Housing and Dining".
- Under "Your Selections", click on "Apply for Housing" for the appropriate academic year that you wish to apply for housing.
- Enter the information about your roommate preferences. Choose options for the type of room you are interested in (you can identify certain buildings, room types, floor gender options, and/or learning communities). *New*: Students that will be graduating from high school in 2014 will participate in the FYRE program. If you do not select FYRE floors as your preferences, one will be assigned to you.
- Based on your selections, you will be given a listing of types of rooms that match your preferences. You will be able to rank them in order of preference. Hall and floor preferences listed on the application are requests only and are not to be understood as contractual stipulations. Every effort will be made to accommodate your preferences when making room assignments. However, because applications are processed based on the date in which they are received, we may not be able to meet certain requests.
- You will be asked to agree to the Terms of Agreement. Students less than 18 years of age: The online application will not permit students under 18 to agree to terms and conditions of the contract. Rather than waiting until you are 18, you may print the form off the web, have a parent or guardian sign the form along with your signature, and send it to our office.
- Next, you will be asked to make a prepayment. You cannot be assigned a room until your prepayment is made.
- Select a meal plan. If a meal plan is not selected, one will be assigned to you prior to the start of the contract.
- You will receive correspondence from the Residential Life office to your BSU email account or via mail. Please watch for announcements such as room assignment and/or roommate contact information.
Frequently Asked Questions
Am I required to live on-campus?
Starting in fall of 2014, freshman students who are one-year removed from high school graduation and international students who are classified as unmarried and an undergraduate must reside (as space is available) in university housing until completion of their first academic year at BSU. For more information on this policy, please go here.
Do I get to choose my own room?
When completing a housing application, you can choose preferences and rank them. You can also name a roommate if you know with whom you'd like to be placed. Our system will take your requests into consideration when creating a room assignment for you. However, you aren't guaranteed any specific room or roommate.
Is there an application deadline?
To be guaranteed housing, you must submit your completed application and your prepayment must be received by August 1, 2014. The online application for fall will close on August 21, 2014. If you wish to apply for fall semester after that time, you must do so in person in the Residential Life Office.
What do I do if I don't know my desired roommate's student ID number?
You can enter a student's name at the time you create the reservation, but you need to supply the roommate's student ID at some point before the room assignments are made. You can use the 'Change' feature within the online application to change your reservation and provide additional information at a later time.
I 'll be attending or am a PSEO student and cannot see the online housing application. What do I do?
NTC students that do not have or know your BSU ID number: please provide the following information to the Residential Life Office and one will be created for you (this should be the same information that you provided to NTC when you applied for admission):
- Full Name
- Permanent Address
- Phone Number
(please specify between permanent phone number and cell number)
- Email Address
- Semester you intend to begin living in the residence halls
PSEO students that can log into E-Services but cannot access the housing application should contact the Residential Life Office, either via phone or email. After making some changes to your account, we will notify you when the application will be accessible.
Experience the summer with Bemidji State University! Summer housing will be located in Linden Hall beginning May 11 through August 21. In order to be eligible for summer housing, you must be enrolled for three (3) or more summer semester hours, have lived in the residence halls spring semester, or have a 2014-2015 Residential Life Application/Contract on file for fall semester. The application will be available approximately March 2014.