Skip to Content

Residential Life

Policies and Procedures

Hall Sports

Because of the potential for damages to facilities, personal injury, and disruption of the sleep/study atmosphere, the playing of sports within the hallways of the residence halls is prohibited. Residents are encouraged to use the recreation fields and the Recreation Center. Residents are not permitted to play sports near buildings to avoid personal injury and damage to property.


Key cards/fobs provide access to the main door of the individual residence hall. Residents are also given hard keys to give them access to their room (students in Linden Hall will only receive a key card which will allow them entrance into both Linden Hall exterior doors and to their room). It is your responsibility to keep your key and key card/fob with you at all times. Room keys and key cards/fobs are not to be duplicated.

Lock Out 

Lock Out During Hours - Tag Key Check-Out

A "tag" key may be checked out from the residence hall desk by room owners only to access a residence hall room upon being locked out. The tag key check out is free the first five times. The sixth and subsequent uses will result in a $1.00 user fee.

Lock Out After Hours

When locked out after normal residence hall reception desk hours, students should contact their RA. If he or she is unavailable, contact the RA on duty, posted in the lobby of the hall.

Lost Keys or Key Cards

Lost or misplaced keys need to be reported immediately to the residence hall reception desk. A "tag" key will be issued and the resident will have five days to locate the original key. If, after five days, the key is not found, or the "tag" key is not returned, or if it is hopelessly lost to begin with, it will be necessary to recore the door and the mailbox and the student will be charged $25.00.

Lost key cards should be reported immediately to the Department of Residential Life so that the key may be disabled. If lost, a resident will be charged a $25.00 key card replacement fee.

Open Flame Products

Candles, oil lamps, incense, and other flammable items that have flames, burning embers, flowing elements, etc., are not allowed to be burned in the residence halls because of their potential fire danger. For special events, exceptions may be made by request to the Residence Hall Director. For information on Sage, Sweetgrass and Cedar please refer to the university policy.

Outside Doors

The outside entrance doors to each residence hall are locked at all times. Residents may access their building by using their key cards.


Except for fish in aquariums, no pets are allowed to reside in or visit a residence hall. Exceptions are made by students that have received approval from the Disability Services Office as an ADA accommodation.

Property Loss

The University does not accept liability for damage to, or theft of property, including contents of refrigerators or aquariums. Room doors should be locked at all times. All incidents of theft or property loss should be reported immediately to BSU Department of Public Safety. Personal property insurance is recommended.


Refrigerators/freezers larger than 4.8 cubic feet are not permitted in the residence halls.

Renter's Insurance

The Department of Residential Life recommends residents purchase renter's insurance to cover personal property.

Right To Privacy and Right of Entry

The University, its officers, employees, and agents have the right to enter student rooms for the purpose of maintenance inspection and repair; preservation of health, safety, security, facilities, and maintaining a sleep/study atmosphere; recovery of University owned property; and for suspected policy violations. At no time may a room be searched without proper warrants.


Residents are not permitted on the roof of any residence hall building for any reason without the permission of the Physical Plant Department. Items lost on the roofs can be retrieved by completing a work order through your Residence Hall Director.

Room Assignment

The University will not discriminate in room assignments on the basis of race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. Room assignments will be made at the discretion of the University on the basis of the date the Residence Hall Contract and $150 prepayment fee is received in the Department of Residential Life. Whenever possible, roommate requests and room option preferences will be honored.

FYRE students can expect to maintain a roommate throughout the year because of the importance of that relationship in the college learning experience. Please refer to the Room Consolidation policy for further information.

Room Changes

Since living with a roommate is a significant learning experience, residents are encouraged and assisted by RA staff to work out difficult situations with roommates. Residents are asked to inform the RA as soon as conflict occurs so that staff may assist in mediation and attempts can be made to preserve the relationship and experience. Roommate Contracts are available for all residents to utilize.

If a move is to be made, the RA will encourage the student to meet with the Room Assignment Coordinator to arrange for a room transfer. The resident may not change room assignments without receiving the appropriate signatures indicated on the Room Change form. Upon approval, residents have 72 hours to check out of the old room and move into the new room.

Room changes may be requested no sooner than the Monday of the third week of each semester and can be conducted throughout the semester up until two weeks before finals. Only one room change per year may be requested without charge. Additional room changes will require a $25 administrative charge.

Room changes granted at the end of the semester require residents to check out of the old room and into the new room before leaving for break. Failure to do this will result in the cancellation of the room change request.

Room Consolidation

The Department of Residential Life reserves the right to consolidate rooms for the need of the department. Room consolidation is initiated in situations where at least three residents on a floor are in double rooms with no roommate. In these situations, residents may be asked to move in with a floor mate, or pay the difference for a double as a single in an effort to provide consistency and fairness in costs for residents in double room assignments. Consolidation also helps free up rooms to be assigned to residents on waiting lists. Finally, room consolidation reduces wear and tear on rooms not used which keeps costs down. Five class days will be given for residents to either move to another room, have someone move in with them, or pay the additional room costs for a double as a single. Residents who do not respond will automatically be given a double as a single and billed appropriately. The Administrative Assistant, Department of Residential Life will assist residents in deciding which option is most appropriate.

FYRE students will experience pure consolidation through the entire duration of fall semester, with the possibility for double-as-single portion of the consolidation only available, if space within the program permits following the assignment of new residents, for spring semester.

Room Inventories and Waiver Form

As part of the check-out process, a staff member typically inspects student rooms in their presence. In some cases, students may not be able to schedule a time due to class conflicts. In these cases, a Room Inventory Waiver Form may be signed. This form states that the student agrees to accept financial responsibility for the condition of the room. Inspection will then be done by a staff member at a later date. Room Inventory Waiver Forms are available at the reception desks.

Room Security

For the protection of personal property, room doors should be locked any time the room is unattended.