Open Borders Learning Community
Open your door and experience the world.
The Open Borders Learning Community is a program where students from around the world, who share an interest in getting to know people from other cultures, live together on one floor.
OBLC offers a dynamic living environment with an array of social and educational opportunities ranging from cultural exchange dinners to international movie nights to community involvement programs.
- an enthusiasm for living with people from other cultures
- patience, sensitivity, and curiosity when exploring intercultural issues
- a willingness to participate in (and help plan) OBLC floor and community activities
- a cohesive and supportive living environment
- an increased awareness of global issues and perspectives
- the opportunity to develop or enhance second language skills
- local and international networking opportunities
- a fun and active place to live
Activities and Traditions
Every day is filled with dynamic conversation between people with different life experiences, perspectives and world views, offering participants a unique opportunity for intellectual and personal growth. Programmed activities are as diverse as our residents and include:
- Cultural Dinner Nights
- International Movie Night
- Festival of Nations
- OBLC Mural
- Costume Party
- Kite Flying
- Bowling Night
Two student staff members working as a team to provide a friendly & vibrant community environment
OBLC Director (Nathan) serves as a mentor/resource person for the members of the learning community
Select the "Open Borders Learning Community" floor as your first preference on your housing application
Space is limited, so APPLY EARLY!
People say (and I agree) that this is one of the best places you can live during college. Where else are you going to make friends with students from Germany, the UK, South Korea, and Benin all at the same time? It's a once in a lifetime opportunity. Don't pass it up!
Bucky's Tour - Next Stop: Dining