BEMIDJI STATE UNIVERSITY

STUDENT SENATE MINUTES

September 13, 1999

Attendance: Officers

President Scott Sirek (30)(2-0-0)

Vice Pres. Kristie Anderson (78)(2-0-0)

Treasurer Erica Jonckowski (25)(2-0-0)

Speaker Jamie Barthel (19)(2-0-0)

Leg. Affairs Heather Wuollet (15)(2-0-0)

Acad. Affairs Kameron Schorn (50)(2-0-0)

Student Services Nathan Voss (21)(2-0-0)

Public Relations Curt Albertson (6) (2-0-0)

Cultural Awareness Jesse Grandbois (13)(1-0-1)

MSUSA CD Rep. Gregory Kelly (17)(1-1-0)

MSUSA Campus Rep. TJ Melcher (26)(1-0-1)

Sergeant at Arms Andrew Hayden (15)(1-0-1)

Kim Dennig (15)(2-0-0)

David Hanson (22)(2-0-0)

Aneesh Goyal (12) (1-0-1)

Greg Ueland (5)(1-0-1)

Jason Schaumburg (2)(2-0-0)

Nicholas Varien (5)(2-0-0)

Angie Nelson (7)(0-0-2)

Advisor: Ken Brandt

Guests: Doreen Zierer, Athletics and Miranda Clauson, SAFAC

Attendance is as follows: (# of Senate meetings attended)-(Term attendance-unexcused-excused).

The Meeting was called to order at 3:30 PM in the Ozawindib Room

Agenda - With no objection moved to approve.

Minutes - With no objection move to approve the minutes of August 30,1999 minutes.

Guest Speaker - Miranda Clauson from SAFAC, talked about the Athletic Fee and that SAFAC has no problem with an Athletic Fee as long as it does not take money away from the other organizations. The athletic amount per student, per semester now is about $35.00. The options are to make an athletic fee separate from Student Activity Fees and leave the amount where it is, at $35.00. Increase the amount by up to $15.00 for athletic fee for a total of $50.00, the maximum that MnSCU allows, or not change things. SAC could make recommendations but SAFAC should still make the budget decisions.

Schaumburg – What about the free admission to games except Hockey, with 500 free tickets to the Hockey games.

Guest Speaker – Doreen Zierer from the Athletic Department stated the $1.00 ticket money went back to SAFAC. Admission might be possible for baseball, softball and track in the future. The bottom line is we are really strapped for funds. Our league goes from Wisconsin to Nebraska. The SAC committee would consist of 2 athletes from each sport, 2 SAFAC members, and 2 at large students that could be Senators. SAC would do their budgets and allocate the funds. The SAC meeting is Monday, 9-27-99 at 9 PM in the Beaver Pride room PE 240, and anyone can come. We will schedule any meetings so all sports representatives can attend. Southwest State has an Athletic Fee allocated through the Athletic Director. It is a NCAA mandate of an Athletic Fee.

Dennig – What justification can we pass on raising fees when they cut academics.

Zierer – I believe the academics where cut because the numbers where down in those majors. We feel a lot of people come here because of athletics. We had a hundred football players this fall. Funding will go for the same areas we use SAFAC money for now. We would like to increase the five-state area. We would like to use buses instead of vans.

Sirek - All students have to pay these fees. The Senate approves the SAFAC members and how do you feel about Senate approving the SAC members.

Zierer – I wouldn’t have a problem with this if I know your criteria. An application process would take place. We don’t get an over abundance of people but we can check into this.

President Sirek – SAC/SAFAC need to discuss further. Open Forum to discuss the Athletic Fee is 11-12:30 Thursday, September 16, in the student union. Doreen, SAC, Ken, SAFAC will be there to get feed back. Senate has to decide and it is a MnSCU policy. I was on the radio Friday with T. Fauchald discussing MnSCU changes. Roger Moe and President Bensen called in and Morey Anderson. It went good. My meeting with President Bensen last week we discussed the Name and Review Committee that is on hold. He wants a list of the Senators names, emails and schedules. The Tech college re-locating to the high school and using the same space with BSU. The bonding needs to go through. CRI has a new industry coming in to work with the students. Lora King will be here to discuss budget of 7% increase. I’m going to try to get into the meetings so students have input. Shawn McDermitt wants to start a Dance Club at BSU. Randy Ludeman said they could use the store room across from Security in Walnut Hall. We need to create a committee to look into this. MnSCU is having a meeting on Wednesday on the Union and Food upgrade of the facility. I have appointments in New Business

Vice President Anderson – Sign in for Office Hours. Chairs have to do 2 hours and Senators 1 hour. Make sure you are on one committee and call the chair if you can’t attend. Committee chairs put reports for each meeting on my desk. Write members names on the report that you have excused and only if they have spoken to you before the meeting. The City Council is doing some rezoning with businesses, gambling and liquor licenses. There is nothing effecting the university at this time. Primary elections were last Thursday. Homecoming is having a banner contest and Senate needs to make a banner. We need to vote on who the king and queen candidate is from Senate. Ballots were passed around. Vote. Scott Sirek for King and Kristie Anderson for Queen. Passed.

Treasurer Jonckowski – We have 9,509.91 in our budget. We had some printing costs, photocopy, telephone, and travel expenses. If you have any further questions you can ask me later or ask Pam. The treasurer report is kept in the office.

Legislative Affairs Chair Wuollet – My meeting is Thursday at noon this week.

Academic Affairs Schorn – Meetings are Tuesday at 11:00 am.

Student Services Voss – Meetings are Wednesday at 3:30 pm. Our committee is full.

Public Relations Albertson – Meetings are Monday at 2:00 pm.

Cultural Awareness Grandbois – Meetings are Tuesday at 3:00 pm, please come. I have reviewed the White House Diversity plan and will be working on organizing some of the things that were suggested in there.

MSUSA Rep. Melcher – The Southwest trip is this weekend. One person backed out so we need one male to go. If not the person that has backed out has to pay for not going. The people going are myself, Scott, Jason, Kristie, Heather, and Curt. 5 pm is the check in time, so we will be leaving around 11:30 to 12:00 pm. The Monitors will be going out around 11:30 tomorrow and the Public Relations said they would help. Committee Chairs write an overview and leave in my or Kristie’s box. They are needed for the weekend conference.

MSUSA Cultural Diversity Rep Kelly – no report

OLD BUSINESS - none

NEW BUSINESS

Appointments – Nate Voss and Kami Schorn to the Accreditation Committee. Vote. 9-0 passed.

Jim Miller to the Alumni Committee. Vote. 9-1 passed.

Jason Schaumburg to the Election Committee Chair. Vote. 9-1 passed.

Create an Ad-Hoc Committee for the Dance Club to explore options. Vote. Passed. Shawn McDermitt as possible Chair. Sign up with Scott Sirek to be on the committee.

Homecoming King and Queen elections – Vote. King – Scott Sirek and Queen – Kristie Anderson.

Straw Poll Banners – the theme is Rock, Roll and Reminisce and HUPB has to be on it. First prize is $75.00. vote 9-2. Senate will make a banner.

OPEN FORUM

Discussed Athletic Fee

moved to adjourn at 4:50 p.m.