BEMIDJI STATE UNIVERSITY

STUDENT SENATE MINUTES

October 4, 1999

Attendance: Officers

President Scott Sirek (33)(5-0-0)

Vice Pres. Kristie Anderson (81)(5-0-0)

Treasurer Erica Jonckowski (28)(5-0-0)

Speaker Jamie Barthel (22)(5-0-0)

Leg. Affairs Heather Wuollet (18)(5-0-0)

Acad. Affairs Kameron Schorn (53)(5-0-0)

Student Services Nathan Voss (23)(4-0-1)

Public Relations Curt Albertson (7) (3-1-1)

Cultural Awareness Jesse Grandbois (16)(4-0-1)

MSUSA CD Rep. Gregory Kelly (20)(4-0-1)

MSUSA Campus Rep. TJ Melcher (29)(4-0-1)

Sergeant at Arms Andrew Hayden (17)(3-0-2)

Kim Dennig (18)(5-0-0)

David Hanson (25)(4-1-0)

Aneesh Goyal (14) (3-0-2)

Greg Ueland (8)(4-0-1)

Jason Schaumburg (4)(4-0-1)

Nicholas Varien (8)(5-0-0)

Angie Nelson (7)(0-0-5)

Advisor: Ken Brandt

Guests: Colleen Livingston, Sandy Rasmus and Shane Wahl, Northern Student

Attendance is as follows: (# of Senate meetings attended)-(Term attendance-unexcused-excused).

The Meeting was called to order at 3:30 PM in the Ozawindib Room

Agenda - With no objection moved to approve.

Minutes - With no objection move to approve the minutes of September 27, 1999 minutes.

Guest Speaker – Colleen Livingston spoke on the new Academic Calendar. The APPR Committee and Dr. Quistgaard version was sent to the faculty senate. The faculty senate revised the calendar and has sent it to the Deans. APPR is a planning committee and we felt the breaks were necessary for students. Also the reading day where faculty could assist the students before finals. Starting after Labor Day wouldn’t allow a reading day of the breaks in October. MnSCU is letting each campus decide individually. 168 days are required duty days for faculty. 148 days are required for students to attend school. Student Senate should address concerns to Dr. Quistgaard as soon as possible. The faculty concerns for the starting after Labor Day is: summer jobs, parents with child care, and renting the apartment for an extra week.

Sandy Rasmus – we need your response today as Dr. Quistgaard meets with the Deans on Tuesday, IFO meets on Wednesday. Many things hang on this decision.

Anderson – APPR/Quistgaard version has student input.

President Sirek – I spoke at the library rededication and it went good. I hope to meet with Larry Blum from the NWTC and talk about co-location and combining two Senates. I plan to go to SAFAC for money for TJ to go on the Fall Lobby trip. I am passing out two fliers that where posted at BSU. One was approved the other wasn’t. We need to discuss the BSU guidelines of Freedom of expression. Adam Zobel from MSUSA is coming on Monday to discuss the SAAC issue. We will do a forum on Thursday, October 14. Do we want to sponsor a table at the Penny Fellowship dinner at $450.00 a table? President Bensen may sponsor one also for us. I have appointments later.

Vice President Anderson – Everyone sign in for office hours and committees need to meet.

Treasurer Jonckowski – We have $9,041.37 in the budget.

Academic Affairs Schorn – no report

Legislative Affairs Chair Wuollet – We sent two constitutions back for changes. We are contacting the clubs and organizations to update their constitutions. We need to approve the Theta Tau Epsilon Constitution today.

Student Services Voss – We have an appointment for Tuesday Oct. 5 at 1:00 PM to walk through campus with Earl Steigauf, head of security. Res Life and Student Life handbooks have been reviewed and questions are being answered. The student conduct handbook is also under review. Student Senate office needs to initiate and incorporate a paper recycling program with the campus wide program. My next meeting is Oct. 6 at 3:30 PM in the Senate office.

Public Relations – no report

Cultural Awareness Grandbois – no meeting this week. Announcements: Video Diversity Conference recommended by MnSCU is being broadcast on Oct. 7th at 9:00 to 12:00 PM in Ed Art 115. It is titled "Gaining a Competitive Edge by creating productive and inclusive work environment". It is free, but must have permission by your immediate supervisor. A class will be held at 4 PM in Beaux-Arts. Questions ask HUPB. It is by Ann Simonson – supermodel turned activist. She protests the way women are judged as pieces of meat. Contact Amanda Monfrooe.

Elections Chair Schaumburg – We need people to work the election booth. There are 18 applications and only 14 spots open. I will make up the ballots tonight. Elections dates are October 5, 6, 7 in the Student Union and Walnut Dining Hall. The times are from 11:00 – 1:00 in the union all three days and 4:30 - 6:00 PM at Walnut Dining Hall.

Anderson – we need to approve the ballot tonight.

Schaumburg – I will make a list now.

MSUSA Cultural Diversity Rep Kelly – Looking in the complaint about the posters. I feel it is freedom of expression. Security is handling the model issue. The volleyball poster was a personal offense to a student on campus. I attended the Bemidji Race Relations Conference at the Northern Inn. We are running an ad in the Northern Student that we need help with the burning video. Bob Smith may have some mass comm students that will help. Security, Res Life and Dale Talgone will also participate in the video. CIS would like to thank the Senate for the loan of the ballot box. Burning is only on the smoking floors.

MSUSA Campus Report – The Monitors are here and will be distributed. Help keep the rakes clean. The Fall Conference is November 5-7, lets have a good showing. We always support the Penny Fellowship.

OLD BUSINESS -

Theta Tau Epsilon Constitution – Vote 11-0-1 passes.

NEW BUSINESS

SB-99F-01 Academic Calendar. Discussed. Melcher proxy for Hanson/Albertson moved to suspend the rules and vote today. Vote 13-0 passed. Discussion. Vote on SB-99F-01, 12-0-2, passed.

Appointments – Chris Laveau to SAFAC. Vote 10-0 passes.

Kristie Anderson to APPR Committee. Vote 8-1-1 passes.

Schaumburg/Anderson moves to change the October break on the 19th and 20th to be moved to November 20th, 21st and 22nd to give the students a full week break in November. Also removing the Dec. 15 reading day to maintain instructional day. This is upon approval of the APPR 2000-2001 calendar. Discussion. Vote 10-0-0 passes unanimously.

OPEN FORUM

Schaumburg – need people for the election booth. Do we have to approve the ballot?

Schaumburg/Anderson move to go back to New Business. Vote. Passed.

New Business

Approval of the Election Ballot - The people running for the Senate are: Brent Waale, Jill Thompson, Kameron Schorn, Karl Runninggen, Casey Pearson, Larry Moeller, Sean McDermott, Steve Leen, Justin Klander, Erica Jonckowski, Ryan Johnson, Nils Hoyum, Greig Dahlke, Tanya Cox, Trevor Carstens, Jodi Baumgard, Jamie Barthel, Shannon Anderson. Vote 9-0-0 passes. Unanimously.

OPEN FORUM

Anderson/Schaumburg move to have the SAAC open forum in the Walnut Dining hall next Thursday, Oct. 14. Discussion. Vote. Passed 9-0-0.

Anderson – Forum moderator is needed. A bill needs to be written up on this issue of Athletic Fee, to vote.

Ueland – one issue, everywhere I go it’s dirty at BSU. Students are either dirty or maintenance is not doing their job. We need to take a stance.

Schaumburg – I need a person from 11-12 on Tuesday at elections booth. I also need a person 4:30-6 on Wednesday and Thursday.

Anderson – I will do 11-12 tomorrow.

Sirek – bring the Northern Student article for the election booth.

Anderson/Schaumburg – move to approve $450.00 for a table at the Penny Fellowship, for 8 people. Discussion. Vote 9-0-0 passes unanimously.

Ueland – elections do we set up or will it be set up for us.

Anderson – grab ballot box from the office. Sign up list for counting ballots is sent around.

Sirek – put the box in Ken’s office between each vote session.

Kelly – do we contact the committee we were appointed to?

Sirek – I will contact committees. Another issue I have is TJ didn’t qualify for Senate last year but served 6 weeks. He wants to be paid for the six weeks. A total of $30.00. I want a straw poll. Come and voice your opinion.

Moved to adjourn at 5:20 p.m.