BEMIDJI STATE UNIVERSITY

STUDENT SENATE MINUTES

November 1, 1999

Attendance: Officers

President Scott Sirek (36)(8-0-0)

Vice Pres. Kristie Anderson (84)(8-0-0)

Treasurer Erica Jonckowski (30)(7-0-1)

Speaker Jamie Barthel (25)(8-0-0)

Leg. Affairs Heather Wuollet (21)(8-0-0)

Acad. Affairs Kameron Schorn (56)(8-0-0)

Student Services Nathan Voss (26)(7-0-1)

Public Relations Justin Klander (4)(4-0-0)

Cultural Awareness Jesse Grandbois (19)(7-0-1)

MSUSA CD Rep. Gregory Kelly (22)(6-0-2)

MSUSA Campus Rep. TJ Melcher (31)(6-0-2)

Sergeant at Arms Andrew Hayden (20)(6-0-2)

Kim Dennig (21)(8-0-0)

Greg Ueland (11)(7-0-1)

Jason Schaumburg (5)(5-0-3)

Nicholas Varien (11)(8-0-0)

Angie Nelson (7)(loa)

Shannon Anderson (3)(3-0-1)

Jodi Baumgard (3)(3-0-1)

Trevor Carstens (4)(4-0-0)

Tanya Cox (3)(3-1-0)

Greig Dahlke (3)(3-0-1)

Nils Hoyum (3)(3-0-0)

Ryan Johnson (2)(2-0-1)

Sean McDermott (3)(3-0-1)

Casey Pearson (2)(2-1-0)

Karl Runningen (1)(1-2-0)

Jill M Thompson (3)(3-0-1)

Brent Waale (4)(4-0-0)

Advisor: Ken Brandt

Guests: Shane Wahl with Northern Student, Brad Barkhuis with SAAC

Attendance is as follows: (# of Senate meetings attended)-(Term attendance-unexcused-excused).

The Meeting was called to order at 4:05 PM in the Ozawindib

Agenda - With no objection moved to approve.

Minutes - With no objection move to approve the minutes of October 25, 1999 minutes.

Speaker – If you are going to be absent you need to contact myself, Scott, Kristie or Pam before the meeting.

President Sirek – I met with HUPB and talked to them about getting a debate on campus between the candidates running for Ten Eyck’s office. Ten Eyck is resigning from office. Major Doug Peterson and Tony Kinkel are both running for the office. This will be the last election of the millenium. The bonding bill for the Res halls and the student unions are coming up and we need the new person in that office to support us. The Public Relations committee could help set up the debate. I will personally be helping with Tony Kinkel’s campaign. Fall Conference if you signed up you have to go. It should be good. We have to decide on the times to leave. One vehicle needs to go by noon. No PBOD on Friday night. We will be at the Penny Fellowship dinner. We will be in workshops all weekend. Leave notes on my desk when you can leave on Friday. Then I will put a note on the Senate door of the times the vehicles are leaving. Greg Kelly is resigning from MSUSA so applications are open. Please apply. We are setting up a committee for reviewing policy purposes. We will discuss that more in open forum. Parli Pro was not exercised last week. I talked with Jamie and Kristie and Jamie is going to start calling people out of order. Orders of the day is discuss the bill only then when on an amendment you discuss only the amendment. You deal with each individual issue at hand before going on to the next. Kristie plans to withdraw her bill. I wrote a new bill to replace it. We’ll discuss it later. The athletic fee is a push from the Administrative side. Athletes just want an increase. There are many different fees. If we pass the athletic fee bill it would take $35.00 from the Student Life Fee and add $15.00 for a total of $50.00 per person per semester. Discussion. This bill will create a separate fee with a $15.00 increase. SAFAC would still have the authority to distribute it.

Vice President Anderson – The city council meets tonight. They are still discussing rezoning, annexing and dealing with a sign ordinance for a large business. I need next semester schedules, registration started today. Faculty friends dinners are starting. If you live on campus and can attend let me know.

Treasurer Jonckowski – The supplies bill has been paid and we had a printing cost of $2.25, so our budget is at $8424.07.

Legislative Affairs Chair Wuollet – We looked over constitutions and Computer Information Systems Club Constitution is in new business. We discussed changes to the constitution guidelines. I’m meeting with Linda Blanchard tomorrow to discuss the changes.

Academic Affairs Schorn – We have been following up on some complaints we’ve been having in the Mass Comm Department. My meeting with Dr. Quistgaard is on Thursday at 9:00 AM.

Student Services Voss – The computer connections are slow so I called Mike Smith. Jason Schaumburg is checking into unfair employment opportunities with ARAMARK for the International Students. I will handle the Seasonal/Calendar parking issue. The Recycling program sucks. Tonya will contact Rebecca Stevens about it. The Monitor is over circulated and I will contact TJ. Tanya will contact Oak Hall about ink packages in the fire alarms. Parking in Bangsberg will be discussed during the Nov. 4 parking meeting at 2:00 PM. Andy will attend and discuss pine hall grievances. Locks were cut and lockers cleaned. The stuff is in the office. My next meeting is Nov. 3 at 3:00 PM.

Public Relations – I had a meeting last Friday and we discussed future issues of what we want to do. Would the PR Committee stay after the meeting tonight?

Cultural Awareness Grandbois – No one came for my meeting, and there is no new business this week except for the discussion of a new committee on policy reviewing.

MSUSA Cultural Diversity Rep Kelly – We are working on the religious burning video and we start filming on Tuesday at the Newman Center. We are starting with the training session for the RA’s on campus. The MSUSA Fax I received today I will give to Scott. I resigned.

Sirek – We have two senate resignations also. If you know of anyone have them apply.

MSUSA Campus Report – Fall Conference we have one 6 person van leaving at 11:00 AM driven by Kristie Anderson. The 15 passenger van is leaving at no later then 2 PM and driven by Jamie Barthel.

OLD BUSINESS

Christians on Campus Constitution vote, passed.

Otaku Society Constitution vote, passed.

SB-99F-02 has been with drawn.

NEW BUSINESS

First reading of the CIS Club constitution.

SB-99F-03 is now changed to SB-99F-02 SAAC Athletic Fee bill. Anderson/Dennig move to suspend the rules and vote today. Discussion.

Clauson from SAFAC – Setting the amount at $50.00 is the only problem we have at this time. We would look at an overall increase and not just to athletics. Separating it out would guarantee the money to athletics.

Discussion.

Brad Barkhuis – We don’t want to change the SAFAC distribution of the funds. We want an increase for the benefits and safety issues. We would like it at $45.00 if possible. $35.00 to 38.00 won’t help us.

Discussion.

SB-99F-02 Vote. 7-14-0 failed.

OPEN FORUM

Anderson – a suggestion would be to bring back the Athletic Fee next year after the tuition issue is addressed.

Dennig – pass out a list of Parli Pro.

Sirek – We have little orange Parli Pro books in the office. Read through them. Also the little sheet of Parli Pro.

Clauson – We would like Athletics to pick out the safety issues and bring them as special request so we can address them.

Barthel – I believe we need to address the safety issues also.

Moved to adjourn at 4:40 p.m.