The meeting was called to order by Speaker-Elect Jim Miller at 3:00pm
Roll Call (Those Present)
President Anderson -Patrick
Waletzko -Sadie Rebecca Ruge
Nathan Voss, TJ Melcher, and Blake
Approval of Agenda
Six Minutes of silence
Approval of Minutes
Meeting with President Quistgard
Safety and Parking Ė Safety walk with him
It is OK to park across from Birch Hall Ė you will not be ticketed
MSUSA Fall Conference
Many workshops and activities are planned to aid in learning about
parliamentary procedure and MSUSA.
Oregon Conference Ė funding from SAFAC
Federal Lobby Trip
One person to attend
Planned for November 14-18
Chancellorís Visit Cancelled
Due to events of the past week
Will reschedule for sometime during the week instead of a Friday.
Minor Office Repairs
Scheduled to take place next week.
Mail boxes to be painted
Carpets to be shampooed
If you have anything else, let President Anderson know
Appointments being made for SAFAC
Appointing Chair and then interviewing candidates with Chair
Senate needs to be more involved with SAFAC
Questions for President
Senator Gassert: How long
can we park across from Birch Hall?
A new parking committee is being formed, so until further notice
Contacting City Offices
Why was BSU split in two?
Is there any way to change this?
Becoming more Active in city and with City Council
Stepping into the role of Vice-President
Keeping office information up to date
Bringing in pertinent information for senators to read
Maintaining senate contacts and communication
Biographies & Pictures (Sen. Gassert will have camera next Wednesday)
- Academic Affairs Chair Heisserer: A lot of rumors have been flying around. This will help to eliminate them.
- Student Services Chair Sprafka: It is a good thing to get out.
- Legislative Affairs Chair Wuollet: Doing a table too long may cause people to think ill of us and make them even more upset and sick of the entire event
- Senator Tengwall: New information is always unfolding and we need to be flexible
- President Anderson: Everyone knows whatís going on
- Vote: All in favor
VIII. Six Minutes of Silence / Hands Across Compus
1. Lois Jenkins of the Newman Center and Pastor Jim of Lutheran Services are coordinating an event in which students have the opportunity to observe 6 minutes of silence and spread their hands across campus in reverence of those who lost their lives last week
2. Planned for next Tuesday, September 25
3. Vice-President Waletzko will keep the senate informed as to the developments.
4. Student Services Chair Sprafka motioned to support the event. Seconded by Academic Affairs Chair Heisserer.
a. Student Services Chair Sprafka: There might be some confusion with getting people out of HS 100 onto the campus to stretch hands across campus.
b. Academic Affairs Chair Heisserer: Would there be any hard feelings between different religions and/or international students?
c. Vice-President Waletzko: Will talk with Lois and Jim about these concerns
d. Legislative Affairs Chair Wuollet: Will this be a religious event? Is there any significance of six minutes?
- Vice President Waletzko: No clue. (Out of senate meeting: one minute for every location of deaths Ė three planes, two towers, and the Pentagon)
- Academic Affairs Chair Heisserer: It is spiritual, not religious.
6. Student Services Chair Sprafka: Table until next week / Seconded by Legislative Affairs Chair Wuollet
a. Event is scheduled for next Tuesday, so to table would be useless.
8. Original Motion
a. Senate report for six minutes for silence / hands across campus (8-0-2)
IX. Open Forum
A. Senator Gassert: 1) Please donít bang gavel. 2) Could the speaker 3-hole punch agendas?
B. Guest Nathan Voss:
1. The best way to get the word out is to get a Northern Student representative to our meetings
2. Open Forums donít work
3. Utilize student mailboxes and e-mail addresses to inform
4. Recruit international students
C. Senator Kelly:
1. How many senators are needed for quorum? (2/3 or 8 at this meeting)
2. Is the cultural diversity chair open? (Yes. Applications have been submitted, but no one has been appointed)
D. Senator Gassert: Is there a student list serve? (Voss: Yes, it was started last year)
1. Dave Carlson in Records/Advising
E. Motion to adjourn: Senator Tinger / Seconded by Senator Bunting. Carried unanimously at 3:55