Bemidji State Universtiy’s Outdoor Program Center will be giving lessons on sailing and paddle boarding beginning in July.
Both the learn to sail and the paddleboarding classes require pre-registration with limited class sizes. All classes begin at the BSU Boathouse in Bemidji’s Diamond Point Park.
- Learn to Sail: Students will take the helm of their own boat in a course covering parts of a boat, rigging, capsize skills, points of sail, trimming and more. The course will focus on small-boat handing and is for all skill levels. There is a limit of six people per session, and children must be accompanied by an adult. The lessons cost $32 per session.
- Session dates: July 11, July 18, July 25 and August 1 from 5–7 p.m.
- Paddleboarding: This course teaches students how to stand up on board, balance, steer and more, and will help participants increase their core strength. This course is for ages 12 and up and has a limit of eight people per session. The lessons cost $12 per session.
- Session dates: July 12, July 26, August 9 and August 23 from 5–6:30 p.m.
Registration is available at www.ci.bemidji.mn.us.
About the Outdoor Program Center
Bemidji State University’s nationally-recognized Outdoor Program Center is part of a diverse and active Department of Campus Recreation. Based in the OPC Boathouse adjacent to Lake Bemidji in the city’s Diamond Point Park, the center provides outdoor experiences for both the university and public communities that enable people to explore their potential and develop a respect for and understanding of the Earth’s natural systems. The center sponsors activities ranging from rock climbing and sailing to ice climbing, Boundary Waters adventures and other trips, and offers a variety of rental equipment for outdoor activities.
- Mark Morrissey, assistant director of campus recreation and the Outdoor Program Center; (218) 755-3900, email@example.com
Bemidji State University, located amid the lakes and forests of northern Minnesota, occupies a wooded campus along the shore of Lake Bemidji. Enrolling more than 5,100 students, Bemidji State offers more than 80 undergraduate majors and eight graduate degrees encompassing arts, sciences and select professional programs. BSU is a member of the Minnesota State system of colleges and universities and has a faculty and staff of more than 550. The university’s Shared Fundamental Values include environmental stewardship, civic engagement and international and multicultural understanding.