- Population: 13,657 in the city and 50,000 in the surrounding community
- Location: On the shore of Lake Bemidji in the heart of the beautiful north woods region of the Midwestern United States. There are more than 400 lakes within 40 km.
- Transportation: Delta Airlines offers two daily direct flights between the Bemidji Regional Airport (BJI) and the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (MSP). Bemidji is about four hours by car from Minneapolis, about 2.5 hours from Fargo, North Dakota, and about 4.5 hours from Winnipeg, Ontario.
- Climate: The warmest month is July, with an average high of 26° C. The coldest month is January, with an average high of -8 ° C. Average annual snowfall is 104 cm.
- History: The city was founded in 1897 on the site of an American Indian village and grew rapidly in the early 20th century as a center for the lumber industry. The name Bemidji is taken from the Ojibwe Indian name Bay-may-ji-ga-maug, which means “a lake with crossing waters,” referring to the way the Mississippi River flows through Lake Bemidji.
Bemidji State University
- Founded: 1919
- Enrollment: 5,000
- Ranking: A top-tier Midwest university, by U.S. News and World Report magazine.
- Location: A safe and welcoming lakeside campus in north central Minnesota, in the small city of Bemidji. In winter, a network of underground walkways shields students from the cold.
- On-campus services: Two main dining facilities, restaurant, coffee shop, convenience store, bookstore, post office, bank, medical clinic, indoor recreation-fitness center, and boating and outdoor equipment rental.
- Values: Civic engagement and leadership, international and multicultural understanding, belief in the power of the liberal arts, and care for the earth.
- International students: In 2013-14, BSU students were from 38 countries – Argentina, Brunei, Canada, China, Denmark, Ethiopia, Finland, Gambia, Germany, Ghana, India, Ivory Coast, Jamaica, Japan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Malaysia, Moldova, Nepal, Nigeria, Russia, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Togo, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zambia and Zimbabwe.