BSU Catalog Home

Section IV

Academic Procedures

Student Responsibilities

Students are expected to be familiar with the Student Code of Conduct and the Student Conduct System as presented in the Student Guide. The rights and responsibilities of students and the expectations of the University are described in the guide, along with grievance and other procedures. Behavior that is threatening to the safety or welfare of one's self or others, or that is harassing or discriminatory in nature, will be reviewed promptly by the University, and appropriate action will be taken. The Student Code of Conduct does not replace or reduce the requirements of civil or criminal laws. The Student Guide is available from Student Affairs, Sanford Hall.

Students are also expected to be familiar with academic policies and procedures as described in this catalog.

Academic Probation and Suspension

A student whose cumulative grade point average (GPA) is below 2.00 ("C") is considered to be in a probationary status and in the future may encounter problems such as academic suspension. A student will be suspended if the following guidelines for satisfactory academic progress are not met:

Semester Credits Attempted *

Minimum GPA **







61 & above



*Credits transferred from other institutions as well as credits attempted at BSU (excludes repeated credits)

**Accumulated GPA at Bemidji State University (excludes grades earned at previously attended institutions)

Readmission After Suspension

The action taken on first time suspension depends on the admission status of each student. Please see the appropriate paragraph below:

REGULAR ADMITTED STUDENTS-All students who are suspended for the first time are readmitted on probation without submitting a petition. Students are encouraged to work closely with their academic advisor to discuss academic deficiencies and appropriate subsequent registration.

ADMITTED ON PROBATION-All students admitted on probation who do not meet the minimum GPA requirements are suspended for one semester, not including summer term. A second suspension is for one calendar year; third and subsequent suspensions are for two calendar years. Students who wish to return following the period of suspension must submit a petition to Records and Advising Services to be reviewed by the Student Programs and Admissions (SPA) Committee.

Academic Grievances

The grievance procedures for challenging grades and registering complaints about faculty, courses, teaching procedures, and related academic concerns are described fully in the Policies and Procedures section of the Student Guide. This section also describes administrative procedures for dealing with non-academic complaints such as discrimination and harassment. All new students are given a copy of the Guide during orientation, and on-campus students are given copies in the residence halls. Additional copies are available at the Hobson Memorial Student Union Information Desk.

Written Student Complaints

The University maintains a record of written student complaints filed with the offices of the President, the Provost and Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs, and the Vice President for Finance and Administration. Summary information regarding student complaints to these administrative offices is provided to the Higher Learning Commission (North Central Association), upon their request and in compliance with data privacy policy, as a part of the University's periodic accreditation review.

Extended Absences and Grade Point Average (GPA) Adjustment

  1. If students have less than a 2.00 cumulative GPA, they may petition Records and Advising Services for an adjustment of the GPA under the following conditions:
    1. A minimum of two (2) years absence from the University;
    2. When the first two (2) successive semesters of attendance have been completed after returning to Bemidji State University as a full-time, on-campus student, with at least a 2.25 GPA for each semester;
    3. The GPA may be adjusted to a 2.00 level at the time the above criteria have been satisfied by disallowing sufficient previous course work in which low grades have been earned. This may result in reduced total semester credits earned toward graduation.
  2. A student may be required to validate course work that was completed more than ten (10) years prior to graduation which is to be included in an undergraduate major. Such validation requires the approval of both the department chair and the dean of the major field. Only courses with grades of "C" or better may be validated. The department of the major program may require that students repeat such courses or take additional course work.

Withdrawal from School

  1. Complete withdrawal from all courses must be finished prior to twenty-five (25) class days preceding final examinations [five (5) days in summer].
  2. A "W" grade is assigned when students formally withdraw from a course for which they are financially responsible.
  3. Failure to withdraw officially will result in "F" grades.
  4. For refund information, see the section on Tuition and Fees.
  5. Withdrawal may require repayment of financial aid and/or GI Bill payments and reassessment of eligibility. For return to the University see "Readmission of Former Students" under the Admission section of this catalog.

Instructions for Complete Withdrawal from School

If you are withdrawing from ALL of your classes, you are advised to complete the following steps:

If you would like to speak to a counselor or faculty member about any academic or personal circumstances related to your withdrawal:

You are encouraged to stop by the Office of Student Affairs in Sanford 101 or call 755-2075 to set up a confidential meeting.

If you live in the residence halls and/or have a meal plan:

Contact Residential Life in Walnut Hall, 755-3750, to terminate your Residential Life Contract and receive directions for proper checkout procedures.

If you received any type of financial aid:

Contact the Financial Aid Office in Deputy 114, 755-2034, to address the following: 1) repayment of aid received if you are withdrawing prior to 60% of the term being completed; 2) your eligibility for future financial aid when you return to school; and 3) exit student loan information.

If you received a Perkins Loan:

Contact the Loan Repayment Office in Deputy 203, 755-2095, for an exit interview and to update your Perkins Loan information. Knowing your rights and responsibilities in relation to this loan may help you in future funding and enrollment.

All students withdrawing must:

Contact the Cashier’s Office in Deputy 202, 755-2046, to determine if you are to receive a refund or if a financial aid repayment is necessary.

Finally, you must withdraw from all your classes prior to the last day to withdraw as published in the semester class schedule by:

Web Registration: Go to the BSU homepage ( under Registration and Advising, then Online Registration.

Questions? Need assistance? Check out the last few pages of the class schedule for further information or stop by Records and Advising Services, Deputy 101, or the Office of Student Affairs, Sanford 101.

BSU Catalog Home | BSU Home
Catalog Editor: