BSU Catalog Home

Section IV

Academic Procedures

Student Responsibilities

Students are expected to be familiar with the Student Code of Conduct and the Student Conduct System as presented in the Student Handbook. The rights and responsibilities of students and the expectations of the University are described in the guide, along with grievance and other procedures. Behavior that is threatening to the safety or welfare of one's self or others, or that is harassing or discriminatory in nature, will be reviewed promptly by the University, and appropriate action will be taken. The Student Code of Conduct does not replace or reduce the requirements of civil or criminal laws. The Student Handbook is accessible at <>.

Students are also expected to be familiar with academic policies and procedures as described in this catalog.

Academic Progress


A student will be suspended if the following grade point average (GPA) is not attained:

Semester Hours Attempted *

Minimum GPA Required**







61 & above


* Credits transferred from other institutions as well as credits attempted at BSU, excluding repeated credits.

**Cumulated GPA at Bemidji State University (excludes grades earned at previously attended institutions).


Effective Fall 2007, a student is required to progress toward the completion of an academic program by successfully completing 67 percent of all credits attempted at BSU. BSU uses cumulative credits successfully completed, divided by credits attempted at BSU to measure a student’s completion percentage. Attempted credits include classes completed with a satisfactory grade, classes with no grade, withdrawal or incomplete grades, and failed classes.


Cumulative values are used in determining if academic progress has been met. Students not meeting the minimum grade point average and/or the minimum percent completion requirements will be notified of their academic progress standing. Academic progress standings include Academic Warning, Academic Probation, and Academic Suspension. See below for the criteria for each academic progress standing.


Academic Warning : Students failing ONLY the percent completion requirement are allowed one academic warning notification and may continue attending BSU. Students failing the percent completion requirement after one academic warning will be suspended and must follow the ‘Academic Suspension’ policy on the next page.

Academic Suspension

  1. First Time Suspension

  2. The action taken the first time a student fails the minimum grade point average requirement or the second time a student fails the minimum percent completion requirement depends on the initial admission status of the student. Please see the appropriate paragraph based on your initial admission status.

    • Regular Admitted Students – Regular admitted students have met the university admission requirements. All students who are suspended for the first time shall be readmitted on probation without submitting a petition. This results in an academic progress standing of ACADEMIC PROBATION. Students are encouraged to work closely with their academic advisor to discuss academic deficiencies and appropriate subsequent registration.
    • Admitted on Probation – Students admitted on probation enter the university with the academic progress standing of ACADEMIC PROBATION. All students admitted on probation will be suspended for the minimum time period indicated below. This results in an academic progress standing of ACADEMIC SUSPENSION. Students who wish to return following the period of suspension must submit a petition to the Records Office to be reviewed by the Student Programs & Admissions (SPA) Committee.
  3. Suspension Following the First Term of Probation - Students who have already been place on Academic Probation and do not meet the minimum GPA or minimum percent completion requirement will be suspended for the minimum time period indicated below. This results in an academic progress standing of ACADEMIC SUSPENSION.


# of Suspensions Following First Term of Probation

Period of Suspension


One semester


One calendar year

3 or more

Two calendar years

Students suspended from Bemidji State University who wish to return following the period of suspension must submit a petition to the Records Office to be reviewed by the Student Programs & Admissions (SPA) Committee. The petition should include information on the circumstances that affected your past performance and a plan to be successful in achieving future academic goals. Readmission will be considered provided that certain conditions regarding academic deficiencies are agreed to in advance and reflected in the subsequent registration.

Note: Students returning to BSU after suspension shall always be subject to the minimum percent completion rate and GPA requirements stated above. At any time a student falls below the minimum requirements, he/she will be suspended for the minimum time period stated above.

Academic Grievances

The grievance procedures for challenging grades and registering complaints about faculty, courses, teaching procedures, and related academic concerns are described fully in the Policies and Procedures section of the Student Handbook. This section also describes administrative procedures for dealing with non-academic complaints such as discrimination and harassment. The Handbook is accessible at <>.

Written Student Complaints

The University maintains a record of written student complaints filed with the offices of the President, the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Vice President for Student Development and Enrollment, and the Vice President for Finance and Administration. Summary information regarding student complaints to these administrative offices is provided to the Higher Learning Commission (North Central Association), upon their request and in compliance with data privacy policy, as a part of the University's periodic accreditation review.

Extended Absences and Grade Point Average (GPA) Adjustment

  1. If students have less than a 2.00 cumulative GPA, they may petition the Records Office for an adjustment of the GPA under the following conditions:
    1. A minimum of two (2) years absence from the University;
    2. When the first two (2) successive semesters of attendance have been completed after returning to Bemidji State University as a full-time, on-campus student, with at least a 2.25 GPA for each semester;
    3. The GPA may be adjusted to a 2.00 level at the time the above criteria have been satisfied by disallowing sufficient previous course work in which low grades have been earned. This may result in reduced total semester credits earned toward graduation.
  2. A student may be required to validate course work that was completed more than ten (10) years prior to graduation which is to be included in an undergraduate major. Such validation requires the approval of both the department chair and the dean of the major field. The department of the major program may require that students repeat such courses or take additional course work.

Withdrawal from School

  1. Complete withdrawal from all courses must be finished prior to twenty-five (25) class days preceding final examinations [five (5) days in summer].
  2. A "W" grade is assigned when students formally withdraw from a course for which they are financially responsible.
  3. Failure to withdraw officially will result in "F" grades.
  4. For refund information, see the section on Tuition and Fees.
  5. Withdrawal may require repayment of financial aid and/or GI Bill payments and reassessment of eligibility. For return to the University see "Readmission of Former Students" under the Admission section of this catalog.

Instructions for Complete Withdrawal from School

If you are withdrawing from ALL of your classes, you are advised to complete the following steps:

If you would like to speak to a counselor or faculty member about any academic or personal circumstances related to your withdrawal:

You are encouraged to stop by the Counseling Center in Birch Hall 1A or call 755-2024 to set up a confidential meeting, or contact your academic advisor.

If you live in the residence halls and/or have a meal plan:

Contact Residential Life in Walnut Hall, 755-3750, to terminate your Residential Life Contract and receive directions for proper checkout procedures.

If you received any type of financial aid:

Contact the Financial Aid Office in Deputy 114, 755-2034, to address the following: 1) repayment of aid received if you are withdrawing prior to 60% of the term being completed; 2) your eligibility for future financial aid when you return to school; and 3) exit student loan information.

If you received a Perkins Loan:

Contact the Loan Repayment Office in Deputy 203, 755-2095, for an exit interview and to update your Perkins Loan information. Knowing your rights and responsibilities in relation to this loan may help you in future funding and enrollment.

All students withdrawing must:

Contact the Cashier’s Office in Deputy 202, 755-2046, to determine if you are to receive a refund or if a financial aid repayment is necessary.

Finally, you must withdraw from all your classes prior to the last day to withdraw as published in the semester class schedule by:

Web Registration: Go to the BSU homepage ( under myBSU, then MNSCU E-Services.

Questions? Need assistance? Check out the last few pages of the class schedule for further information or stop by the Records Office, Deputy 101, or the Office of Student Development and Enrollment, Deputy 313.

BSU Catalog Home | BSU Home
Catalog Editor: