Notice: You are accessing outdated information from an archived catalog, this content is for reference only.
For up-to-date content, please refer to the current catalog.

BSU Catalog Home



Section II

Non-Degree Study

Licensure Programs
Graduate Special Student
Graduate Work by Undergraduates
Admission of Post-Master's Degree Applicants

Bemidji State University offers holders of a baccalaureate degree the option for graduate study which, though it does not in and of itself result in the conferring of a degree, allows students the opportunity to improve their knowledge and expertise.

Licensure Programs

The State of Minnesota grants licenses to students who complete requirements set forth by various state agencies. Students may pursue a licensure in conjunction with some master's degree programs. Completion of a master's degree program and all licensure requirements may result in the granting of a degree and the recommendation for licensure to the State of Minnesota.

All transfer course work and substitutions to be used in fulfilling licensure requirements must have the approval of the program director, the department chair, and the Registrar. Transcripts listing transfer courses must be on file in the Records Office.

Courses used to satisfy licensure requirements must be completed for a letter grade. The recommendation to endorse is made by the Assistant Registrar to the State of Minnesota Department of Education, Teacher Licensure Section.

Graduate Special Student

Though not actually a member of a degree or certificate program, the Graduate Special Student may pursue graduate course work without a planned objective, but with the goal of personal and/or professional enrichment. In order to be approved to this status, students must complete a Graduate Special Student Application and must have an earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. or approved international college or university.

A Graduate Special Student who subsequently is admitted for the purpose of pursuing a master's degree may be permitted to apply a maximum of ten (10) credits of graduate course work toward degree requirements.

Graduate Special Student status permits students to take courses for an indefinite period of time, provided that a 3.0 ("B") grade point average (GPA) is maintained. If the GPA falls below 3.0, the student will be placed on probation and permitted two (2) additional semester registrations. If a cumulative GPA of at least a 3.0 is not achieved upon completion of these two (2) semesters of course work, the student will be dismissed from the graduate program. A Graduate Special Student may appeal by contacting the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies. Students who have been dismissed because of a low GPA may continue study only on an audit basis.

Graduate Work by Undergraduates

Bemidji State University undergraduate seniors may register for graduate courses at the 5000-level only. Seniors who will be graduating within one (1) semester or summer term may petition to be considered for enrollment in graduate-level courses provided that each of the following conditions is satisfied:

  1. Approval is granted by the instructor, the department chair, and the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies.
  2. The student is within eleven (11) credits of a baccalaureate degree at the time of enrollment in graduate course instruction.
  3. The student has a cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.00.
  4. The combined undergraduate and graduate credits attempted for the semester do not exceed twelve (12) credits (or six [6] credits for the summer).

The grades earned by an undergraduate student enrolled in graduate courses will be used in computing the graduate GPA and cannot be applied toward the undergraduate GPA. No course work completed at the graduate level can be used to satisfy undergraduate degree requirements.

Admission of Post-Master's Degree Applicants

Post-master's degree students who intend to pursue only course work are required to complete the Graduate Special Student Application. A student who has previously received a master's degree from Bemidji State University is not required to apply for re-admission to graduate study. However, the School of Graduate Studies must be notified of the student's intent to pursue additional graduate-level course work.

Post-master's degree students who intend to pursue an additional or dual master's degree should refer to "Dual Degree/Program" information in this section under "General Requirements" and "Admission to Candidacy."

BSU Catalog Home | BSU Home
Catalog Editor: