Through the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, accounting students use their tax knowledge to provide free tax assistance to other students – including international students – with special treaty requirements, and low income and elderly individuals in the area who are unfamiliar and uncomfortable with tax law and filing requirements.
To volunteer, students must complete Tax I and pass the IRS certification tests, as well as donate 40 hours of community service during spring semester.
VITA offers not only free preparation, but also free e-filing for those who qualify. With e-filing and direct deposit, those who qualify for a refund usually receive it in 8-10 days.
VITA is a free tax preparation and e-filing program sponsored by the IRS for all persons with incomes of $56,000 or less. Many of our clients qualify for earned income tax credit (EITC). For these qualifying persons EITC means that they may receive a refundable credit of more than the taxes withheld.
What to Bring the VITA Session
- Identification (driver’s license, passport or VISA)
- Birth dates and Social Security numbers for you, spouse and dependents
- Current year’s tax package (if you received one)
- All tax documents from employers and financial institutions, such as W-2s (wage and tax statement from employers), 1099s income other than wages, salaries, tips), 1042-S (Foreign Person’s U.S. Source Income), 1098-T (tuition statement), 1095, etc.
- If you’re expecting a refund and wish to have it direct deposited, bank routing and account numbers
- A copy of last year’s Federal and State income tax returns if available
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider’s Social Security number or business Employer identification number
Taxpayers must be present to sign forms for e-file, or hard copies of tax returns can be printed for taxpayers to take home, sign and mail themselves.
VITA tax preparation is open to the public on a walk in basis in Memorial Hall Room 250.
VITA times and dates for the 2020 tax year:
Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3:30 pm until 5:30 pm
Will not accept walk-ins past 5:15 pm
February 5 through April 15, 2020 – except March 11 & 12 and April 1 & 2.