Students applying to on campus Professional Education programs must meet the following admission criteria:
Applications will be reviewed and evaluated using the
Professional Education On Campus Admission RUBRIC.
Students must be accepted to BSU prior to applying for a Professional Education program: Apply to BSU here
- Cumulative GPA 2.50
Students must earn a C or above in all major coursework. Additionally, students must maintain a 2.50 Cumulative GPA to remain in the program.
- Complete 30 Semester Credits (AA degree for DLiTE students)
The Department of Professional Education recommends completion of all/most Liberal Education courses prior to starting Professional Education coursework.
Upload a copy of your BSU Transcript. If you are a transfer student, upload a copy of your most recent external transcript.
- Evidence of meeting the BASIC SKILLS TESTING REQUIREMENT
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation
See the Professional Education On Campus Admission RUBRIC for details on what these letters should include.
- Address Four (4) Writing Prompts
See the Professional Education On Campus Admission RUBRIC for details on how these prompts will be evaluated.
- Communication (Teamwork) – Describe a time when you needed to work as part of a team. What was your role on the team and what actions did you take to contribute to the team’s goals?
- Critical Thinking (Time Management) – Think of a time when you had to work on multiple projects at once. How did you manage your time?
- Leadership – Describe a leadership opportunity you had. What did you learn about yourself from that experience?
- Human Interaction (Conflict Resolution) – Describe a time when you faced with a difficult interpersonal situation. How did you resolve the conflict?
- Complete the ONLINE Application for Admission to Professional Education with all required attachments.
Do not submit a partial application. Applications are reviewed after the “Priority Deadlines” listed below and then approximately every 2 weeks after. Students will be notified by email of their acceptance status.
- Cumulative GPA 2.50
Applications may be submitted at any time. However, priority will be given to students who submit applications by the following dates:
- Fall Admission – February 15th
- Spring Admission – October 1st
However, applications may be submitted at any time.
Important Program Notes:
- Students will not be allowed to register for Education (ED) or Special Education (SPED) courses until they have been formally admitted to the Professional Education program.
- Field experiences and student teaching require school district criminal background checks. If you think you may have an issue you may want to initiate a background check yourself before you seek admission. Applicants with any prior conviction(s) may be unable to complete a program of study in Education. Your disposition for the role of professional educator will be assessed throughout the program. This includes things such as attendance, reliability, and communication skills.
- BSU may consider a transfer of courses from other institutions if a syllabus is provided and the course is found to meet 100% of the required state standards assigned to the BSU course being substituted. If field experience is a requirement of the BSU course, the external course must contain an equivalent field experience and documentation must be provided for the review.
- Please Note: All coursework required for licensure must be completed with a letter grade (not Pass/NC). This includes ED and major/content coursework.
- Each term the Professional Education Department will admit the top 64 students into the campus-based program based on the above criteria.
Contact Undergraduate Admissions to apply to Bemidji State University or to arrange a visit to campus.