Licensing – Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Should I apply for a Substitute license? Is it faster (than waiting for my full license)?

A: Not really. Initial licenses (Sub or Tier) require your 4 year degree to be posted, fingerprinting and a background check, and PELSB has 30 days to process your application either way. The only difference between a Sub license and a Tier license is the recommendation from BSU.

Q: I’m a Special Education or FasTrack student and/or I already have a 4 year degree. What should I do?

A: If you already have a 4 year degree, you do not need to wait for BSU to ‘post your degree’ before applying for your license. However, the Certification Officer (Aspen) will need an approved plan of study on file, signed by your advisor or program director, confirming you’ve completed the coursework and field experience requirements. Also, if you are using courses from other institutions, make sure BSU has those transcripts on file.

Q: What are the most common delays to receiving your license?

A: Not taking your tests in a timely manner – so that you have to wait for your test scores to be released (takes approximately a month)
A: Not sending your entire application packet to PELSB in ONE envelope (sending pieces at a time causes delays and risks losing pieces)
A: Not signing your application with actual pen ink