The Communication Arts & Literature Endorsement is an optional add-on for education students. It can be added to any full license and results in licensure to teach Middle School English/Communication Arts (Grades 5-8).
The credits can be taken in addition to a student’s plan of study, spread throughout semesters as their schedule permits pending noted prerequisites.
Communication Arts & Literature Endorsement
Take all of the following:
- ED 3208 Developmental Reading in the Middle School (3 credits)
15 hours of field experience outside of class
Only offered in the spring (online)
- ED 3417 Teaching and Learning in the Middle School (3 credits)
10 hours of field experience outside of class
Only offered in the fall (online)
- ED 4737 Content Area Reading (3 credits)
25 hours of field experience outside of class
Offered fall and spring (online options vary)
- ENGL 2337 American Literature, 1865 to Present (3 credits)
- ENGL 3540 Literature for Young Adults (3 credits)
Choose one of the following:
- ENGL 2357 British Literature to 1800 (3 credits)
- ENGL 2358 British Literature from 1800 to Present (3 credits)
- ENGL 2370 World Literature to 1600 (3 credits)
- ENGL 2375 World Literature from 1600 to Present (3 credits)
- ED 4840 Student Teaching – Special Fields (5 credits)*
Total: 21-26 credits
Please note: There is an additional MTLE Content Test required for Middle Level Communication Arts & Literature Licensure.
*When combined with Elementary Education you will complete a total of 12 Student Teaching Credits.