The Science Endorsement, added onto an existing license, results in a licensure to teach Middle School Science (Grades 5-8).
The Science Endorsement is optional for students earning a professional teaching license. The credits can be taken in addition to a student’s plan of study as their schedule permits, pending noted prerequisites.
Take one of each of the following:
- BIOL 1110 Human Biology (4 credits) – OR –
BIOL 1400 Introductory Biology I (4 redits)
- BIOL 1120 Gen Biol/Evol & Ecology (3 credits) – OR –
BIOL 1500 Introductory Biology II (4 credits)
- CHEM 2211 Principles of Chemistry I (4 credits) – OR –
CHEM 1111 General Chemistry I (4 credits)
- CHEM 2212 Principles of Chemistry II (4 credits) – OR –
CHEM 1112 General Chemistry II (4 credits)
- ED 3410 Secondary Science Methods (4 credits)
Take all of the following:
- SCI 3100 Integrative Science For Teachers (4 credits)
- GEOL 1110 Physical Geology (4 credits)
- ED 4737 Content Area Reading (3 credits)
25 hours of field experience outside of class
Offered fall and spring (online options vary)
- ED 3417 Teaching and Learning in the Middle School (3 credits)
Only offered in the fall (online)
- ED 4840 Student Teaching – Special Fields: Middle School (5 credits)*
4 weeks full-time practicum/student teaching in Middle School Science (5-8)
Total credits: 33-39*
*When combined with Elementary Education you will complete a total of 12 Student Teaching Credits.