The Social Studies Endorsement, added onto an existing license, results in licensure to teach Middle School Social Studies (Grades 5-8).
The Social Studies Endorsement is optional for students earning a professional teaching license. The credits can be taken in addition to a student’s plan of study each semester as their schedule permits, pending noted prerequisites.
Social Studies Endorsement
Take all of the following:
- ED 4737 Content Area Reading (3 credits)
25 hours of field experience outside of class
- ED 3417 Teaching and Learning in the Middle School (3 credits)
10 hours of field experience outside of class
- ECON 2000 Markets and Resource Allocation (3 credits)
- GEOG 2100 Introduction to Physical Geography (3 credits)
- GEOG 2200 Introduction to Human Geography (3 credits)
- HST 1115 United States History II, since 1877 (3 credits)
- HST 2610 Minnesota History (3 credits)
- POL 1200 Introduction to American Politics (3 credits)
- ED 4840 Student Teaching – Special Fields (5 credits)*
Total: 24-29 credits
Please note: There is an additional MTLE Content Test for Middle Level Social Studies Licensure.
*When combined with Elementary Education you will complete a total of 12 Student Teaching Credits.
Bensen Hall 342