Most host schools require background checks of teacher candidates BEFORE they can complete their practicum or student teaching experience at the school.
Some forms are listed below. If you do not see your school listed or have specific questions regarding background checks, you should reach out to the school ASAP.
BEMIDJI ISD 31 BACKGROUND CHECK FORM
Request for Release of Background Check Report from ISD 31 to Other District
BAGLEY BACKGROUND CHECK: Email Nichole Ekre: firstname.lastname@example.org
CASS LAKE BENA ISD 115 BACKGROUND CHECK FORM
CASS LAKE BENA ISD 115 DRUG SCREEN FORM-Give to Sandford Health
Send background form to Rochelle Johnson (email@example.com)
Drug Test: call Bemidji Occupational Medicine Clinic at 218-333-4735
Let them know it is for Cass Lake-Bena school so that they are billed, and you are not.
Email completed background check to Ashley Evans (firstname.lastname@example.org). The background check costs $41.00 (cash or check made out to ISD 317 Deer River) and is due on your first day of field experience. You do not need to submit payment prior to submitting the background check.
GRAND RAPIDS BACKGROUND CHECK: Email Julie Rasmussen (email@example.com) for information & form
Kelliher School District #36 does not require a background check for volunteers/ BSU students
- Requires a $15 check or money order made out to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.
Notify the Clinical Office immediately if you are ineligible to complete your hours at a certain school. You will be scheduled to discuss your situation with the Clinical Director. You are not required to disclose your report to anyone. However, you may need to share certain information with the Clinical Director to identify an alternative solution for placement.
Important to note:
- All schools require background checks for student teachers.
- The State of Minnesota allows every school/district to require a background check of anyone entering the school or the school grounds.
- Every school district decides what type of background check and/or drug screening it requires.
- Every district may set its own eligibility parameters.
- A Notary Public signature and/or fee may be required to submit your background check authorization form.
- Every school district may determine to pass the expense of the check/screening on to the student or it may cover the costs of these checks/screenings.
- You may have to pay the fee with cash, check, or cashier’s check made out to the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension or the district. Be aware!
- School districts may or may not accept background checks performed by other districts.
Even if they do accept checks performed by other districts, a waiver must always be signed to have one district transfer a report to another district.
- A background check on file with a particular district is usually good for 12 months from the time it was executed.
You may have to authorize another background check even if you have previously visited a certain district.