Liability insurance is required for all education students entering field classrooms.
If you have a field experience this Fall or Spring, purchase your liability insurance during or before the first week of classes.
- Go to Education Minnesota: https://www.educationminnesota.org/home
- At the top, next to Membership, click on Aspiring Educator.
- Click on “Apply online for (appropriate year) membership“ Can be done in advance; it opens on the first of July.
HOW MUCH? $25 per year
- Covers the period of September 1 to August 31. Coverage expires every August regardless of purchase date.
WHY? Coverage protects YOU and BSU.
- During classroom field experiences, a candidate may encounter situations that could involve legal actions in which you could be held personally liable for damages. Liability insurance is for a teacher candidate’s protection. Liability insurance will provide protection for most lawsuits and is mandatory before you enter the classroom.
- It is comparatively inexpensive:
A $25 membership provides a member benefit of $1 million in professional teacher liability coverage through NEA.
- It is simple:
Insurance through the Education Minnesota Student Program can be purchased online using a credit card.
- Your “proof of coverage” is automatically emailed to the Clinical Experiences Office:
EDMN sends the Clinical Office an insurance report every Monday listing all the currently insured students. Students do not need to send their receipts to the Clinical Office unless their field placement is being held until they prove their coverage.
DO I HAVE TO JOIN EDMN? No.
- Other professional organizations may provide a similar liability insurance coverage member benefit. Coverage must be equal to, or greater than, the coverage offered by EDMN.
- MNSHAPE, AAE, other professional associations, as well as some school district employers may provide acceptable coverage. Proof of membership or coverage is required.
- Homeowners insurance does not include the type of liability insurance that is required for teacher candidates.
- Parental liability insurance also is not usually comprehensively applicable to classroom situations.
Please contact Renae Spangler (email@example.com) or Katelynn Bozich (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.