The Communication Arts & Literature Endorsement is an optional add-on for education students. It can be added to any full license and results in licensure to teach Middle School English/Communication Arts (Grades 5-8).
The credits can be taken in addition to a student’s plan of study, spread throughout semesters as their schedule permits pending noted prerequisites.
Communication Arts & Literature Endorsement
Take all of the following:
- ED 3217/5217 Curriculum Enrichment through Media Resources (3 credits)
- ED 3417/5417 Teaching and Learning in the Middle School (3 credits)
-10 hours of field experience outside of class
- ED 3208 Developmental Reading in the Middle School (3 credits)
-15 hours of field experience outside of class
- ED 4737 Content Area Reading (3 credits)
-20 hours of field experience outside of class
- ENGL 2355 American Literature, 1865 to Present (3 credits)
- ENGL 3540/5540 Literature for Young Adults (3 credits)
Choose one of the following:
- ENGL 2357 British and World Drama (3 credits)
- ENGL 2358 British and World Poetry (3 credits)
- ENGL 2359 British and World Prose (3 credits)
- ED 4840 Student Teaching – Special Fields: Middle School (5 credits)*
Total: 21-26 credits
Please note: There is an additional MTLE Content Test required for English Licensure.
*When combined with Elementary Education you will complete a total of 12 Student Teaching Credits.