FasTrack offers a pathway to Minnesota State licensure!
Ready to get started? Please follow the following steps:
- Apply to Bemidji State University
- Complete BSU’s online application to apply as a Graduate Certificate/Licensure student.
- Select the “FasTrack PostBac, GC” from the dropdown menu.
- Select your concentration(s).
- Submit a 500 word essay titled “Why Teach?” in APA format with the proper citation of at least one source
- Attach your essay as a separate file and send directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org *Be sure your BSU Tech ID or StarID is included on all attachments.
- 2.5 GPA or higher is required for acceptance to FasTrack.
2. Register for ED 5000: Introduction to FasTrack (1 credit)
- All students must complete this prerequisite course before enrolling in other FasTrack courses. The course is offered fall, spring, and summer. The course is takes about 30 days to complete. ED 5000 is a rolling admissions course: Students may register for the course throughout the semester.
- ED 5000 is a 1-credit course. During this course, students will work with an advisor to review their previous transcripts to determine which content courses in their desired license area are eligible to transfer.
Note: If you have any issues with GPA, immunizations, financial aid or outstanding debt to any MN State institution, you will need to resolve that before you register for ED 5000.
*TESTING CENTERS ARE CURRENTLY CLOSED DUE TO COVID-19. Select this link for more info: https://www.bemidjistate.edu/academics/departments/professional-education/fastrack/getting-started/testing-requirements/
- Test Scores must be sent directly to Bemidji from the testing e-service.
4. Provide Evidence of Student Liability Insurance
- All current FasTrack and DLiTE students must purchase student liability insurance. Even if you are employed with a school district, you must have “student” insurance. Students must obtain student liability insurance for each academic year that they are active in the program.
- Students may purchase student liability insurance from Education Minnesota. As a requirement to begin FasTrack, you need to purchase student liability insurance before stepping into the classroom for your classroom experience. It is your responsibility to renew your student insurance each academic year.
- Please click on the following link to purchase liability insurance:http://www.educationminnesota.org/member-benefits/membership/students.aspx
- BEFORE ATTENDING F2F: Please send verification that you purchased “Student Liability Insurance” to our program manager at email@example.com prior to attending the first Face2Face start-up/orientation. If you do not purchase and retain “Student Liability” Insurance from Education Minnesota you will not be able to participate and continue in Fastrack or DLiTE courses and activities.
5. Secure a Practicing Teacher Mentor
- Select your mentor carefully and ensure they meet all requirements.
- Read and share Mentor Responsibilities.
- Complete the FasTrack Mentor Application and email to FasTrack.
6. After completing ED 5000:
- Complete application materials
- Register for the first semester coursework for the following semester: ED 5100, ED 5110
Students may apply for teaching jobs when enrolled in FasTrack. Any school that hires you is responsible for applying for the teacher candidate’s Tier 1 or Tier 2 license.
If hired, your appointment can serve as your student teaching experience if your desired license area aligns with the subjects and grade levels being taught in the classroom setting. You will still need a university supervisor and a cooperating teacher, and you will need to complete all student teaching competencies as required by the MN Board of Teaching.