Before enrolling in any FasTrack courses, all students complete:
ED 5000: Introduction to FasTrack
We have designed this prerequisite to help you discover if credits you have earned from previous degrees can count toward your licensure and to prepare students for success in the online coursework and in the field experiences and student teaching.
ED 5000 course (1 credit) takes about 3 – 4 weeks to complete. ED 5000 must be completed the semester prior to starting the first semester FasTrack coursework (ED 5100 and ED 6107).
ED 5000 is available fall, spring and summer. It is a rolling admissions course: Students register for the course throughout the semester, but must complete all course requirements before the university-scheduled last day of the semester.
How to Register for ED 5000
When you have been admitted as a graduate student, you will be able to register for ED 5000.
- Go to MyBSU and click on the e-Services tile. Login to e-Services with your StarID and password.
- Click “Courses and Registration” in the left menu, then “Search for a Course”. Select the upcoming (or current, depending) semester. Choose Professional Education from the Subject menu, then enter 5000 in the course number field. Click Search. You should see at least one option for registration.
- Click the Add icon (furthest left in the table), and then click “Review My Plan” in the left menu. Confirm the correct selection was made, then enter your StarID password to complete registration.Screenshot of the course search options in e-Services
During the course, you will receive a transcript review so you know exactly what additional coursework you may need, if any, in your area of expertise in order to meet the Minnesota State Department of Education required competencies. It is possible that you will not need any additional content coursework.
The course includes a series of ten modules that include readings and corresponding discussion board activities. ED 5000 helps orient students to the culture of k-12 education and provides support on how to: locate a mentor, purchase student liability insurance and be a successful online learner.
ED 5000 Course Topics
- D2L Tutorial
- Transcript Review
- Why FasTrack?
- The Power of the Discussion Board
- Secondary Hire Statistics
- FasTrack PostBac Design and Hire stories with guests
- Digital Delivery Methodologies
- Why MTLE and the edTPA?
- Why Mentors?
- How to Apply to FasTrack PostBac
During ED 5000, students also have an opportunity to meet their future classmates and professors!