Minnesota recognizes the bachelor’s degree in Social Work from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited institution (the BSU Social Work Program is accredited by CSWE), as preparation for school social work licensure by the Minnesota Department of Education.

Requirements to Practice School Social Work Licensure in Minnesota

  1. A baccalaureate degree or a master’s degree in social work from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited program.
  2. Licensure from the Minnesota Board on Social Work.
  3. Licensure from the Minnesota Department of Education.

The Social Work faculty encourages students to take additional courses in education along with SOWK 3790 Social Work in the School System to be well prepared for school social work practice.

For Information About School Social Work Licensure, Contact

Department of Education
1500 Highway 36 West
Roseville, Minnesota 55113-4266
Phone: 651-582-8691; Fax: 651-582-8809
Email: Personnel.Licensing@state.mn.us

To apply online go to the MN Department of Education’s website, then go to Quick Links and Licensing. Select “Online Licensing System”. To create a user ID and password create a new MDE account. Apply for a first time full professional license, choose “School Social Worker” from the drop-down menu.