Studio Arts Emphasis
Gain a breadth of knowledge in drawing, painting, color theory, and ceramics. Studio arts prepares students for jobs in professional art and design that also demand technology skills.
With the integration of our Design, Technology, and Arts programs, BSU provides a more well-rounded education for those seeking a degree in the creative studies. Not only do we have full studios for painting and ceramics, but they are also located in the same building as our digital labs, so artists can stay on the cutting edge of their field.
Seniors are required to present a solo exhibit in one of four on-campus galleries. Studio Arts students also have many opportunities to engage in art experiences and collaborative work with local and regional artists and organizations. The department also houses two permanent art collections: Margaret H. Harlow ceramics collection consisting of work by national and international artists, and the Lillie M. Kleven collection a diverse print collection.
Salary Potential: Salaries for artists vary widely.
- Seniors present a solo exhibit in one of four on-campus galleries.
- Talley Gallery- Bridgeman Hall
- Gallery X (Student-experimental exhibit space)- Bridgeman Hall
- Touche Gallerie- Hobson Memorial Union
- Ramsey Gallery- Bangsberg Hall
Scholarships are available.
- Margaret Harlow Ceramics Scholarship
- Lillie Kleven Print Scholarship
- Roy and Eva Lind Scholarship Endowment
- Rick and Marcella Sherman Scholarship
- Stephen and Lois Sorenson Endowment
- M. Fern Birnstihl Endowment
- Through the Watermark Art Center, students partner with regional artists.
- Art experiences in the community include the Bemidji Sculpture Walk, Bemidji Art Crawl and First Friday Art Walk.
- Students have access to three permanent campus art collections:
- Margaret H. Harlow Ceramics, works by national and international artists.
- Lillie M. Kleven Collection, a diverse print collection.
- Lanham Collection, rich in Ojibwe artwork.
- Students participate in museum experiences in Minneapolis.
- Art Director
- Creative Director
- Ceramics Artist