TAA Program

TAA_web_page_imageAre you a laid off miner or worker?


You may be eligible to earn a degree for free!

If you’ve lost your job as a result of increased foreign trade activity, you may be eligible for federal Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA).

TAA eligible workers may receive:

  • Free Tuition
  • Free Books
  • Free Fees
  • Free Supplies
  • & more, depending on the student and specific degree needs.

Do you already have a two-year degree?

If you previously graduated from community or technical college, you may be able to earn a bachelor’s degree from Bemidji State University using Trade Adjustment Assistance Act funding.  To be eligible to receive TAA funding the degree program must demonstrate job opportunities in the state of Minnesota.  The following show future job growth and should be TAA eligible:

Explore your on-campus and online education opportunities with Bemidji State University.

Looking for a two-year or technical degree? 

Visit Northwest Technical College for great online or on-campus programs.

In addition, 360 eTech and Northwest Technical College offer certificates in the following:

Additional Education  = Job Security + Increased Wages

The 360 Career Ladder shows you the various positions a person can hold and the pay you can expect, based on your education.

Unemployment running out? Earn While You Learn

Trade Readjustment Allowance (TRA) is extending Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits for TAA participants who are enrolled in full-time training.  TRA can extend regular unemployment insurance benefits for up to a total of 130 weeks.

Trade Readjustment Allowances (TRA) are available to continue to provide income support while you are participating in full-time training. The amount of each weekly TRA payment is based on the weekly unemployment insurance (UI) benefit amount you already have received. You must have been entitled to receive UI benefits before you may receive TRA and you must have exhausted your UI entitlement.

TRA is very complicated.  It is best to consult with TRA staff before making any decisions regarding TRA. You can reach TRA staff at:  DEED.TRA@state.mn.us

How do I sign up for the TAA program?

If you live in Northeastern Minnesota (Iron Range and Duluth areas), contact:

Northeastern Office of Job Training
Telephone:  (218) 735-3740
Toll Free: (800) 325-5332

If you live elsewhere in Minnesota, please contact:

State of Minnesota TAA Program
Information Line: (651)259-7543
Toll Free: (888) 234-1330
Fax: (651) 296-0288
TTY: (651) 296-3900
Email: DEED.TAA@state.mn.us

See if your job is eligible for TAA funding on the federal TAA website:


Missing the ID attribute.