Veteran’s Benefits

To become eligible for Veteran Affairs (VA) Education Benefits you need to apply through the VA.  The VA makes all determinations of eligibility. You may be certified only after being admitted to BSU and pre-registering for classes.  How much you receive is based on the type of training you take, length of service, your category, and if you receive kickers, as well as your enrollment status.  Since the VA benefits may not be sufficient to cover all educational costs, you may also apply for Financial Aid.

The Veteran’s Assistance Center is located in Decker Hall 102 and can assist you in applying for benefits.

VA Education Benefits by Chapter

Students who are eligible to receive VA education benefits may fall into one of the following categories (chapters):

  • Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill – active duty
  • Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill
  • Chapter 35 – Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (spouse, surviving spouse, or child)
  • Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill – selected reserve
  • Chapter 1607 – Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP)
  • Tuition Assistance – Army National Guard or Army Reserves

The Records & Registration Office is responsible for certifying enrollment and reporting changes in enrollment of veteran students to the VA.