Skip Navigation

Licensing & Royalties

What's in a Name?

A university's name, logo, athletic icon, related words or images, and school colors are considered valuable assets that, when used properly, help build an institution's reputation. Managing these assets through a collegiate licensing program, as well as through consistent use, ensures that the representative images are used correctly and appropriately in a variety of applications, from banners and beanies to team uniforms and tablecloths. The university maintains rights to any words, phrases, images, or concepts used to represent or suggest Bemidji State University or any of its entities. 

Managing BSU Licensing

Bemidji State University contracts with Learfield Licensing Partners to manage its licensing program and monitor the use of BSU images, the name Bemidji State University and its related designations (i.e. BSU Beavers). This licensing program protects the visual identity of the university while helping to enhance the university's image. The licensing firm will work with offices and vendors to increase the marketability of products and clothing.

Using Licensed Vendors

All merchandise containing university images or names, whether for internal use, giveaways or sale, must be produced by a licensed vendor. Also, all merchandise designs must adhere to the university standards found on pages 3-10 and must be approved by the Office of Communications and Marketing. 

Finding Licensed Vendors

A list of vendors licensed to produce items bearing Bemidji State's logo or nameplates is available by contacting Andy Bartlett.

Have licensing and royalty questions?


Licensing vs royalties

Bemidji State University policy dictates that all vendors producing items bearing the University logo or name plates, or intended to represent the University, must be licensed. However, royalty payments are only collected from vendors whose Bemidji State merchandise is produced for resale. Items produced as give-away or promotional items are produced royalty-free, and the Office of Communications and Marketing can grant exceptions for royalties on internal-use items as well.

In short: In all circumstances, vendors are required to be licensed in order to produce items bearing the University name, logo or image or intended to represent the University. Royalties are typically only collected on those items produced for resale.

Contact the Office of Communications and Marketing with questions.