

Meet & Confer
15 May 2002

Present: Gerry Amble, Jon Quistgaard, Rod Witt, Randy Westoff, Tom Beech, David Larkin, Jo Jordan, Rod Henry, Rich Gendreau, Chris Brown, Barbara Schudlt, Jauneth Skinner.

ENROLLMENT UPDATE

A report from Ivan Weir was distributed.

Quistgaard: International student enrollments are down, student visas are a big problem after 9-11-- scrutinized by INS -- Muslim males are not able to go to school. Pretty tough all over the world.

Gendreau: Why not offer some distance learning?

Quistgaard: NCA gets involved with Distance Learning... It is a possibility to do this... And it may happen faster because it is still so new.

Brown: Where are we in applications?

Quistgaard: We are down, we haven't slipped as much in the last couple months... Freshmen are about the same... Last year was an incredible show rate, SOAR registration is way off.

Amble: Financial Aid is slower. Housing is behind too.

Brown: Where are we in comparison with other schools?

Quistgaard: We are up in transfers... But appear to be worse in other areas.

Witt: Who assigns advisees... What is going on? There appears to be no pattern for who is assigned to us.

Skinner: I have the same problem... No idea who is assigning these to us... And where are they? I haven't seen them or heard from mine, and they are not art or design tech majors.

Beech: SOAR people get hit hard... I have 93 advisees...!

Quistgaard: We are a bit behind in summer school enrollment, but it blossomed since the last couple of meetings...

Beltrami Electric says they saw noticed our advertising! This is a good thing.

Gendreau: We need a student questionnaire for summer school... So they are ready to register. We need to plan farther ahead...

Brown: We need some flexibility with summer school scheduling...

Witt: Had an interesting problem on that yesterday... A student has a J Term in Hawaii... It is counting against her fall credits... So she could not register...

Brown: J Terms don't exist.

Henry: We need to deal with this. This is not in the contract.

A lively discussion followed.

BUDGET ALLOCATION

Amble handed out the Budget Allocation.

Amble: This is the same sheet as was used in the President's open forum meetings. Nothing new.

A brief discussion followed.

Witt: Larkin, have any of the deans asked for their budgets yet?

Larkin: Yes.

The discussion continued on how to improve enrollment.

Henry: Along with the enrollment decline are you contemplating any retrenchment of faculty positions?

Quistgaard: No. Not for academic year '02 - '03. I have no idea what will happen for academic year '03 - '04.

Brown: We need the Cost Centers, that massive report.

Amble: We are not ready. Would you like the summary or all the details...?

Witt: We want all the details.

Brown: Can we get a break down of extra duty days and where they are applied?

A lively discussion ensued.

Larkin: I don't hand out extra duty days... Just for the record. Here is the process: faculty ask the chair, then it goes to the dean... Then it comes to me...

Henry: Does the dean submit recommendations to you...? Is this the process? We want to know under your watch (this year) what has happened.

The discussion continued.

SEARCHES

BROWN: Is there an update on searches...?

Larkin: Fredrickson agreed to serve as our Vice President... Her first duty day is July 22nd... She will come up a few days before that date and will spend it in the office with me so I can pass along information and get her up to speed.

CS: we hired Kuik, he has 17 years in the field with a good background.

Wetlands biologist, we hired Koch.

Carlson will continue with one more year in education.

Criminal justice:

Brown: How many departments had failed searches? Criminal Justice and Industrial Tech.

A lively and heated discussion followed.

Brown: Could these failed searches be due to the low salary offerings...? In light of our interpretation of the current MnSCU grid...?

Witt: Our penurious approach does affect us... In who we can attract.

Larkin: We have budget problems...

Brown: It is hard to keep someone... Without enough money...

Baer: Coach searches are still in progress... Women's basketball, volleyball and soccer and men's baseball... We need to fill 8 or 9 in athletics...

Witt: Now is a good time to look at those sports.

Baer: We look at them every day.

Brown: Who is eligible to serve and head up search committees... Remember, according to the contract, people in their first year of appointment cannot serve on these committees... And they cannot vote on these hires. And there is no way they can be chair of the committee.

Larkin: They can convene, but they can't vote...

Brown: On this topic of TRIO: since they do not have a dean or a supervisor... They want to know when they can initiate their search. A position description was handed to Larkin.

Larkin: This came back as a MUSAF position...

Brown: The department is working on the position listing... This is an IFO position. IFO people in the department were working on this...

A discussion followed.

Larkin: let me take this to Arnesson and find out what is going on with this.

Brown: Facilities construction this summer... Will construction have impact on classes being offered?

Amble: We hope not... R & B projects should not interfere with classes...

Brown: Can we count on accomodations for the classes....? We are concerned about the students and they are paying for their education and they don't want to be hearing construction noise while trying to listen to a lecture.

Amble: We will be replacing walls in Hagg Saer... hopefully it will be done before first summer session...

A brief discussion followed.

Brown: Should faculty be disrupted, they should contact Amble's office immediately.

Brown About the facilities. Signs in the tunnels are not pointing to real places...

Skinner: Environmental Graphics...! These are horrible. Shades of the '60's. Or are they older than that??? Every year in my Graphic Design class I assign the students a project to redesign these signs.

Larkin: Can you have your class do the designs next fall...? I like this idea.

Skinner: Yes!

BUILDING AND CONSTRUCTION

Amble: Additional funding is needed we are way over the budget for the American Indian Center. We open bids today... The bids are a bit high with the deducts... We can come in inside the construction costs... But we also need change order contingency money... The electric loop project bids are due by the 23rd of May. We will get a new roof on Memorial Hall with HEEPER Money.

Archeological implications for the American Indian Center... For both sites to clear it before we start building... Should be hearing in about two weeks... They think they can do the assessment... In about 2 weeks... They are very fast and efficient.

There are also residence halls projects this summer.... But not big ones.

Henry: In light of legislative action relative to the hockey arena... We thought it might be good for the university community to reexamine this next fall in how it will affect the overall campus community... We are concerned about the budget and cost implications.

Brown: Particularly in light of what other institutions are doing.

Schuldt: Morris dropped D-1 Hockey and went back to D-3 because they cannot afford it. University of Minnesota Duluth is dropping some programs -- it is serious business.

Baer: The bill is not done... We do look at it every day... Pretty slim chance that the arena will be in the bill... But it is not over until it is over... Chances are pretty thin right now... We know it costs money but it does attract students and we need to weigh this.

Witt: What is the formal mechanism to do this next fall?

Brown: We can formally meet the first part of the fall... We can do it through senate.

LEGISLATIVE UPDATE

Brown: Give us a progress report -- let us know how you have done.

Baer: The campaigns are gaining... Went from raising \$30,000 a year to raising \$300,000 this year...! We hired consultants in anticipation of a capital campaign... We need an assessment of the whole division of the board and all the people in Park House and how to build toward a capital campaign.

The legacy campaign is going well with Kringen getting it up to speed... New Society 65 to leave a legacy for BSU... It is big dollars for us eventually.

The Alumni Association is doing great work... They work well together... We have a great future... We won't start a capital campaign for 18 months to 2 years. Surveys tell us what to do... We have \$9 million, a bit up and down with stock market. We hope to get to \$25 million... That would make a big difference to the BSU.

Discussion followed.

Witt: There was money in the legislation for acquisition of the high school.... Is it out?

Amble: We cannot make a deal for the high school. The city wants too much for it. We hope to use the parking lots and practice football fields... While we have construction. The school board is split on this and they will not know what they want to do.

The DNR needs someplace to go to... But they would like to give us the land on that side of the road... We are working with them... Looking at whatever comes open.

Baer: The budget is in and now back for Higher Ed... But it will not help us a lot... We got the money in both house and senate for the phase two of co-location... It is crazy down there, absolutely nuts... Working nonstop until Sunday.

Brown: Will have enough votes for the override?

Baer: We do not know if it will happen -- contentious people in both places.

Brown: There was a faculty member who actually found himself on TV -- he had been taped and was on TV (On channel 17) and he should have been asked for his permission. He was very upset about this.

Larkin: Details... Give me the details and I'll deal with it. This cannot happen!

OVERLOAD EXCEPTIONS

Brown: What is the word normally? It is contract language... Both parties have to come to an agreement on what "normally" is... What is the exception so we can see what it is...?

Larkin: We need system clarification.

A lively discussion followed.

Brown: Amble gave us the 218 - list, thank-you. That amounts to 25 FTE's when you add up that sheet...!

Brown: How are Grad Assistant's being used and who are they?

Larkin: I'll get the info from the deans...

Brown: We want a break down of who the fifty-six grad assistants are and St. Cloud wants a copy of it, too.

Lib Ed Coordinator

Description responsibilities given to Larkin.

Brown: Senate recommends that we do this. There is a call for self nominations, then they will do recommendations to the LIB ED committee, then we will do an election.

A brief discussion followed.

Brown: What is this Bureaucracy Buster Committee...?! An Ad Hoc committee...???

Larkin: There was a \$2500 grant from Blandin Foundation to study Bureaucracy... Kingsbury led the committee... Edevold Larson was a Grad Assistant on this committee. They were concerned about the Green Sheet (cover sheet for external funding), they revised the sheet, after the President revised it... Then the new sheet went to the Bureaucracy Busters... So a bunch of people got together to eat lunch. Only two faculty (Lee and Kingsbury) were on this search committee.

A heated discussion followed.

Larkin: Now they are out of money and now that committee is gone...

Another heated discussion followed.

Henry: Sounds like \$2500 was well spent...!

Brown: The Planning Committee is concerned about this process.

Brown: Whoever is responsible for Human Resources, there is a big difference between statutory and contractual retirement and this information must be given to faculty getting ready to retire.

Larkin: We are giving this out...

Brown: For example, faculty on phased retirement are being paid \$1100 more to teach in Spring instead of Fall semester (because it is longer). These people need to understand it so they can make a wise situation...

Larkin: We will get that information out to the prospective faculty ready to retire.

Brown: A person on phased retirement that is a .667 employee cannot participate in any personnel or curricular matters... They cannot vote or comment on tenure or promotion cases... And they cannot be a chair of a department. There are potential grievances developing....

A brief discussion followed.

Brown: Electronic pay stub information: are other bargaining units receiving training... For electronic delivery?

Amble: I do not know. Lanners will send out information on the faculty list serv... I'll find out about the training sessions.

Brown: Does the university endorse this... Will this be in conflict with state property for personal information...?

Amble: Definitely not. A link directly to that web page and your own pin number will be necessary to do this... There will be no disciplinary action... For using your BSU computer for this.

Brown: There are some CEL compensation challenges... An issue with tuition collection... Say a student signs up for a class and tuition is collected, and the student stays in class and then drops out. The instructor has worked with this student... And they keep the tuition... But the instructor does not get paid for working with this student.

Larkin: I'll check it out and let Griggs get back to you...

Brown: There is a resolution from the senate regarding the concern... For data for 5 year goals priority survey... Is there administration support for it...?

Larkin: C. Greer agreed to look at it, and Weir... And another administrator.

Brown: When will the Executive Committee notes be on the web site so they are more accessible?

Larkin: I hope A. Nohner will get it straightened out this summer.

Brown: Tenure and time lines... When will we receive this information? We are concerned about time lines...

Quistgaard: We have until January to grieve the tenure and promotion decisions...

Discussion followed.

Witt: CTS will not put a piece of software on the computer... Is this an exception or what... We are holding a contract but cannot get an agreement with CTS for maintaining this mini lab... All we want is the software we need...

Brown: We need to see the agreement from the CS

Amble: I will provide the agreement and get it to the BSUFA so they can look at it.

The administration provided a M&C calendar a draft for the next year.

Brown: We will look at it and we will get back to you.

Larkin: There was a motion at university council for an Initiative Generation Flow Chart... It was recommended we test it for a year and see if it works.

Henry: Will we get a copy ?

Larkin: I will send one to you.

Amble: Fire Safety is suddenly a big concern due to the South West fire. MNSCU set aside \$1 million to make changes for fire safety... they are touring our campus soon to look at ventilation problems.

Brown: What is the future of the Vax 1?

Amble: There is no future.

A brief discussion followed. The meeting was adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,
Jauneth Skinner, BSUFA Secretary