

BSUFA Meet and Confer

September 8, 2004

Called to order at 4:00 PM.

Present: Jon Quistgaard, Dave Larkin, Elizabeth Dunn, Joann Fredrickson, Bill Maki, Sharon Gritzmacher, Carol Milowski, Rose Weaver, Chris Brown

Enrollment update

Larkin: Introduction of Bill Maki to Rose Weaver and Carol Milowski.

Fredrickson: At this point our numbers seem down, but the NW tech course numbers aren't in. We will get FTEs there. Freshmen are really down from 685 last year to 612 this year. That will follow us for 3 years and it's significant. Transfers up 10% (30 students). PSEO and Graduate credits up.

Quistgaard: The challenge with freshmen is a long-term problem. The new Director of Admission Russ Kreager is eager to get started. He begins on September 20. He came Duluth via Crookston and then Normandale. He is very experienced/knowledgeable and will have many ideas for increasing our enrollment. Paul and Yvonne will continue in their positions as associate directors

It seems that we're bringing in more males than females, which is very odd. It doesn't follow the national trend. We wonder weather this is just a blip, or BSU trend.

General discussion: The reasons that male students might enroll at BSU.

Milowski: In response to budget problems, the state universities of California are turning away an estimated 8 -10,000 students. Should we think about recruiting there?

Quistgaard: We have work to do based on funding formula.

Summer School Schedule & Summer Session Research

Fredrickson: We had lower summer enrollment than we had hoped. A survey has been done and we know that 18 – 24 year old students who enroll in summer school are doing so for one of 2 reasons: to get a head start or to catch up. Students start thinking about summer school very early. We would like to get summer calendars out early so that we can solicit faculty and get courses geared up.

Larkin: We will take the calendars to Senate on Monday.

Fredrickson: We might be marketing the wrong courses in the summer. We are offering specialty courses but if students want to get a jump on classes or get caught up those courses should be core courses. But, we don't want to infringe on fall and spring enrollment. We will survey on campus students to see if they are taking on-line courses elsewhere during the year. Bob Griggs will attend chair meetings with the Deans.

Spam Software Implementation

Maki: The new spam software is coming out Monday. Temporarily all the spam messages will go into a junk mail folder. That folder will allow time for the system to be tweaked. It should be 85 – 90% successful.

Brown: Maybe for PC users will need to use Outlook.

Larkin: We appreciate this spam filter.

Civic Engagement Conversations

Fredrickson: This is not a new topic, but we want to have a campus-wide conversation about student volunteerism and civic engagement. We are considering Thursday 9/23 at noon. There will be an email to the campus from Quistgaard and another from Fredrickson identifying the

place and time. We want to know what our version of student engagement is. This is pretty exciting. Another option is later in the day on a Friday.

Dunn: check with Dave Carlson, he will have the information about those times when there are the fewest classes.

Fixed-term position in Modern Languages

Fredrickson: A letter has come forward from Modern Languages that the Executive Committee wants to go first to Faculty Senate. We'd like to put this on hold until then.

Planning Process Evaluator

Larkin: We have heard that the Planning Process Evaluator is Dan Rice. What will faculty input be? We are concerned that he might have an agenda – that he will find what he is looking for. We want to be able to meet with him. Is that fair?

Fredrickson: Dan isn't signed up yet. How big a review will this be? He wants core questions.

Larkin: Where do they come from?

Fredrickson: They will come from the University Council. We want to know what planning is, what are day-to-day decisions v. year-to-year decisions. Time problems exist, and this is an elaborate structure. There is no established procedure for changing the committee structure.

Larkin: Should questions also come from the Executive Committee, the Senate?

Fredrickson: Share your questions with us. We are considering this to be the starting point.

Quistgaard: Dan will be objective about what we can do to enhance the planning process. He was a long time faculty member. He will bring a broad perspective.

Committee Vacancies & Participation

Committee Structure

Library Communication via Official email accounts

Fredrickson: The library wants to use the official student email for notification to students. The original plan was that this would be for all official communication but because of problems with ISRS Records and Business services are unable to use the email system. Because they can't use the system, many students see little reason to use their BSU email account.

Weaver: Faculty would like a standard email. Many of us would like to create listserves.

Milowski: I don't know all the technical problems, but students are resistant to using BSU email. Yahoo, etc. are more accessible. If the University wants to do this, accessibility is an issue.

Quistgaard: Many campuses are having this problem. It could cut down on costs. Lets talk to Student Senate.

Fredrickson: We did the student consultation, but our ISRS system doesn't speak to our student email accounts. This is part of the "seamless project" at the MnSCU level.

Parking Update/ Traffic Flow re: AIRC, Ed Arts, Bridgeman

Maki: The parking lot on the Berg property didn't happen. We stopped construction in Late July. Temporarily it will be filled in with sod while we work with the neighborhood and facility planning. It begs the larger issue of where are we going with Birch Lane and the surrounding area. We have placed a six-month moratorium on acquisition of property. We are looking for data from students and the neighborhood, and are working with the city on parking alternatives. We have a research group coming to look at the resident halls. We tacked on to that question one related to parking. That group will also meet with the neighborhood to collect data. This has already helped us with identifying alternatives for parking. We are plowing forward.

Dunn: What happened with the Historical Center parking option. Was it advertised in the student paper? Bus times were 8:15, 9:15. The bus didn't seem to work

Larkin: There was contradictory information. As we move into fall, parking for the faculty will become a bigger issue if we have to run into town and then back to campus.

Dunn: Where is the report from the parking committee? Did you get it?

Milowski: There is evidence that the students are the favored group. You can't get near anyplace because of student parking.

Larkin: Some students park their cars for 3 – 4 months

Milowski: Do we no longer need the pedestrian crossing between AIRC and Ed Arts? The pedestrian center is padlocked. It was locked all day Tuesday. And another thing, Construction people have moved their trucks between Ed Arts and the new extension. Danger Construction Zone signs block us from parking there. We need to get the trucks out of there and remove the signs so we can park there too.

Dunn: More on the pedestrian flow. You have to walk on the street. There I no other way to do it. The opening is enclosed. The little street is dangerous, cars are flying. You can't hear cars coming.

Quistgaard: We'll look at it.

Maki: The parking lot as a construction zone – we need to follow up with the contractor. They painted the lines crooked and they need to be redone.

Voter Registration

Dunn: We are trying to launch a cooperative project between student senate and faculty senate. The state has a good website. As long as we are careful with the non-partisan approach. We have tentatively scheduled it for 9/28 and 9/29.

Vice President to Faculty Senate

Larkin: We will talk to Faculty Senate and get back to you.

Master Facility Planning Update Task Force Representatives

Maki: Five years ago when the master facility plan was created, with a task force of IFO reps, 1 from each of the colleges and 1 at large. We want to update and create a taskforce with bargaining unit reps across campus, plus experts, maintenance, architects. Can I send you a format to find people to sit on the committee. The task is to make a recommendation and information would then go to meet & confer.

Larkin: We are struggling with the number of committees we have. We have vacancies that we can't fill. We have multiple people serving on committees. People, especially younger people don't feel it is helpful. We need administration to address this, encouraging faculty to serve.

Milowski: Are you changing the structure or using the same one? If changing, we will need to see the structure.

Brown: Get us a plan.

Meet & Confer Participants – Who should/can attend?

Larkin: We have no problem with deans coming in to address a specific issue. We don't want to see deans sitting at these meetings if they don't have a reason. If you tell us about a need (Bob Griggs) we're good

Student Affairs Discussion/Consultant

Fredrickson: We want to include all groups on campus. We are still trying to make a decision on the student affairs structure. I have some areas, but Bill has some and others reporting to him. Should we have a dean of students? The questions get tabled and brought up again. We decided to bring in an outside consultant. We need some outside influences to help us get to the decision stage.

Math Fixed-Term Discussion

Fredrickson: We've brought it to summer meet and confers. It is opposite of Modern Language issue. I had this on my agenda before I knew faculty wanted to discuss it. What do we want to do? I've hear different sides of this.

Brown: This is just fixed terms in general, but there have to be compelling reasons. If the positioning is on going, then it isn't a fixed term.

Milowski: NTT has been eliminated. But full time appointment in Modern Languages is still there. Continuing needs and the questions about why it continues.

Quistgaard: You also have faculty who come to us to say that you don't always need the same credentials.

Fredrickson: It's complicated. If you create a probationary slot but create 2 classes of probationary faculty, we could add probationary positions, but then some existing faculty swing down to lower level positions. It's departmental, contractual.

Milowski: We don't want to be in the position where departments can't have compelling reasons for not have a PhD. This has been the history. Now we want master's positions.

Quistgaard: Mass comm. There were multiple failed searches.

Dunn & Weaver: That is the problem that Modern Language has.

Brown: The contract doesn't preclude

Fredrickson: What is the expectation of BSUFA?

Brown: It's not the person, it's the position.

Larkin: Lets get the contract language and pair it with our interpretation.

Brown: this is a big issue at St. Cloud State in English and you have to decide what you can afford.

Larkin: Accreditation issues also come in.

Milowski: Nothing says you must have a PhD. We have a qualified person, full time appointment, could contribute greatly.

Brown: You still have to do a search.

Quistgaard: You still have to satisfy 5 areas.

Gritzmacher: What about weighting those 5 areas.

Dunn: Share positions across departments

Larkin: We've talked about that for years.

Dunn: I'd like to see a liberal education faculty

Quistgaard: There are so many perspectives on this – this will need to come up in Senate.

Larkin: Yes, to Senate.

Work Plan Summary

Fredrickson: I have copies of what was accomplished since last April. It isn't verbatim, it has been edited. It is all archived. From this we lead into the current year list.

04-07 Work Plan

Fredrickson: Solicitation process last spring was to include new initiatives or items omitted. There were only a handful of new items. It was engagement. Faded in the report means it has been accomplished. If you were identified as a work plan director you have already received this. I think it worked pretty well. This year I hope it will work even better. There are some faculty who are directors, deans, administrators. If a person is charged with an activity it is included in the annual review. Hopefully by spring this will be smoother.

The basis for the work plan is the strategic plan. There are 4 thrusts that still hold today. A. Enrollment – recruitment retention, CEL, academic programs, residence halls, scholarships. B. Supporting quality programming and service.

If we could get beyond those 2 maybe we could move on.

Larkin: I'll take it to Senate.

Fredrickson: Based on comments, we can make changes in the online version.

Other

Larkin: Sandy Rasmus called me. There is some interest in evaluating the coaches on the new contract schedule even though it hasn't been ratified. Our consensus is that this is acceptable because the coaches tend to favor this.

Fredrickson: It would give them more time.

U: Use the new schedule.

Fredrickson: Update on hires searches

Maki:

Update on where we are with information technology. Fred Hartman replacement. We are still looking at alternative structure. What areas of the University might fit under an associate VP/CIO. We need to have discussions with a few departments. It looks like we will move CIO function from administrative affairs to academic affairs. The consultant's report and 5-year review are guiding us.

Brown: Faculty will be happy to hear this.

Milowski: Is this an upgrade? An new Associate VP?

Fredrickson: Yes, but it wouldn't be a new position, it would just be elevated.

Brown: We have talked about an academic computing coordinator under Fred.

Fredrickson: The consultant says we need someone who can be more than a techie, less technical and more administrative.

Quistgaard: lets go off the record.

On the record: A general discussion about how we can increase recruitment. We are all in agreement that this is essential.

Milowski: We are considered isolated/rural; urban students often can't deal with it.

Meeting adjourned at 5:40 PM

Respectfully submitted,
Sharon Gritzmacher
Secretary, BSUFA