

BSUFA Meet and Confer

April 27, 2005

Called to order: 4:00 PM

Present: Jon Quistgaard, Rod Witt, Elizabeth Dunn, Tom Fauchald, Joann Fredrickson, Rod Witt, Dave Larkin, Chris Brown, Carol Milowski, Sharon Gritzmacher

Budget

Fauchald: There will be a budget forum tomorrow, April 28 at noon and again at 3:00 PM. Can you speak to this?

Quistgaard: Joann will provide a handout. Maki is in St. Paul. There might be some improvement over the Governor's budget. This morning, the Governor didn't indicate anything new regarding support for budget. But he did acknowledge that the budget won't make up the previous shortfalls. We are building our model around the Governor's proposal. This will mean a probable tuition increase of 8/5%. I'm committed to avoiding a double-digit increase unless the bottom falls out from under us. This projection is only for one year – the Board won't do multiple year tuition increase projections.

Brown: Doesn't that have an effect on your ability to plan?

Quistgaard: Yes. The handout will constitute most of presentation at forum. The biggest assumption is that we will be down 2% in enrollment. That looks pretty accurate. We dropped 2% in FTEs last year. Incoming freshmen numbers look encouraging, but we are down in transfers. If we can do better than this, we'll consider that in terms of the budget. It will be sometime into May before we know for sure. The Governor says the session should be completed on time. That leaves us about three weeks to go.

Milowski: So you anticipate staffing levels to remain the same.

Quistgaard: Each of Vice Presidents has been given targets. We are looking at reductions in the \$2,000,000 range.

Fredrickson: I can't remember everyone's breakdown as a part of that \$2,000,000. I'm looking at \$750,000. That is similar to what we did in 2002/03. I can only speak to Academic and Student Affairs. In 2003/04, we looked at \$400,000. Some of the things we were able to reinstate over the current year but we won't be able to do it again. We aren't finished with identification of the areas where those dollars will be coming from.

Quistgaard: We also have to look at the earmark for the centers of excellence. The Governor wants the centers; he wants institutions to have "calling cards."

Brown: I heard that MnSCU is against the center concept.

Quistgaard: We hope the center concept comes on top of the appropriation rather than within it. This concerns me. If he is reelected, and that is highly likely, what's going to happen next time? I did speak to the Governor about providing for the option of PSEO in the summer months. Rural area students can't always get here during the year. There are transportation and distance issues. This would work well for many students. He seemed rather intrigued with this. I do know that there are budget issues within the school districts and with foundation aid.

Larkin: Can we bring item 17, concurrent enrollment, into this and get it out of the way now?

Fredrickson: Bob Griggs will be talking with a group of faculty about this issue.

Milowski: He has already met with English Department.

Fredrickson: We are looking at maybe piloting a course in English this fall. Griggs also met with another group. We appreciate the consideration that the English Department is giving this

proposal. We shouldn't think of concurrent enrollment as a moneymaker. It won't be. In the best of all worlds, the tuition should cover our costs. There will be institutional benefits and hopefully, those students taking the classes will enroll at BSU when they graduate.

Fauchald: We would be charging more than our competitors. A concern that I have is 8.5% tuition. St. Cloud is talking about a 0%, 2% and 4% scenarios. We already have the highest tuition in the system. We will distance ourselves further from our competitors.

Quistgaard: When we looked at our total costs this year, our meal plan will stay flat. The other thing is that we don't charge students over 12 credits but Mankato does. If we go 4%, we increase the deficit. Southwest, Mankato, and Winona **want to band their tuition**. There is some casual discussion about it at St. Cloud. Winona is also talking a fee increase. We are looking at this, but if we go below 8.5% next year, we will be looking at 3 – 4 million deficit. The question for all of us is when do we hit the pressure point. We also have to pay attention to Duluth, **which is higher than us**. Another competitor is North Dakota.

Fauchald: **The University of North Dakota already is lower in tuition than us.** Tuition is something the students are watching.

New Positions

Fredrickson: The unclassified positions are a probationary IT position (Henke) currently filled fixed term by McGeehan. A fixed term woodwind position currently held by Greg Oakes. A one-year fixed term Theater position (Griffith). The changes in classified positions since last time include a lab specialist in the Chemistry Department (Thomas) and a Computer Informational Technology position that will be split between Computer Support and TRIO/SSS.

Quistgaard: I have a draft of the academic sabbaticals, unpaid leave, and paid leave.

Witt: I have here a copy of the Letter of Understanding dated December 10, 2004, signed by Nancy Black and Frank Conroy of IFO, and John Shabatura and Chris Dale from MnSCU regarding searches for probationary positions where there is an internal fixed term candidate. Section 2 states, "Should the search committee determine that the internal incumbent meets the qualifications for the probationary appointment and after interviewing the candidate wishes to recommend his/her appointment, the committee may make such a recommendation to the University without considering additional candidates. If the University determines that current affirmative action policies or procedures or other applicable policies and procedures require consideration of some or all other applicants it will so notify the search committee. The search committee will then review such applicants." This has happened in two cases. Departments feel that it is dishonest to bring in someone for an interview who definitely would not be hired. We would like to see those procedures in writing.

Fredrickson: The affirmative action officer has agreed with me on this.

Witt: We would like those determinations in writing please.

Quistgaard: Let's look at the guidelines and go from there.

Department Name Change

Fredrickson: Industrial Technology (IT) will be changing its name to the Department of Technological Studies (TS). They have quite a bit of documentation supporting this decision.

BSUFA Action Report

Gritzmacher: As you know, the IFO is engaged in a Stop the Slide campaign. We have buttons and posters with the Stop the Slide slogan. We are concerned with the erosion of our salary and benefit packages as well as with declining levels of state support for universities, which is tied to significant tuition increases. This morning we engaged in our first on-campus action when we took part in informational bannering outside the American Indian Resource Center. The

Governor had come to speak to the Chamber of Commerce. Approximately 10 faculty and 40 students greeted the Governor with Stop the Slide Banners and tuition freeze posters. Everyone was respectful, keeping in mind that the legislature still has not ratified our current contract.

Milowski: We were Minnesota nice.

Planning Process Review

Fredrickson: Dan Rice would like to be back on campus on May 9 to meet with University Council and to have an open meeting with the members of the University. Should we schedule a joint meeting in a large room, or have separate meetings?

Larkin: I endorse having a large room so that everyone can comment. This open forum should precede or follow the University Council meeting.

Fredrickson: Rice hopes he can have a draft report finished by that time.

Larkin: We are looking forward to hearing his report.

Timelines for PDPs, Promotion, and Tenure

Fredrickson: We took the documents from this year and have hand written in the changes for next year. Those changes only reflect calendar days. There are no significant changes. Please look at it and respond at the May 11 Meet and Confer.

Academic Calendar

Fredrickson: Where we are is that in consultation?

Larkin: Senate made a recommendation and the calendar went to University Council. They did not vote on it.

Fredrickson: It is now being forwarded to students and planning committees again.

Milowski: Isn't this in reverse? Isn't it supposed to go out from the planning committees?
Lots of discussion.

Fredrickson: The smaller group developed the calendar and it took back to the constituencies. The planning committees are looking at this again to address changes.

Milowski: Faculty agreed that we would have the small groups when a calendar was based on principles. That it would be a done deal.

Fredrickson: The extra week added at Christmas is the reason that this has to go through the loop again. We had 21 days between the last day of finals to start-up. It was too tight. Then we went to 28 days. But, now we have an additional week.

Quistgaard: Is the goal that I will be able to provide a response by May 11?

Fredrickson: There was a full 21 days between faculty duty days.

Dunn: The Graduation Marshall said that she wanted graduation later.

Fauchald: International students also have issues with having enough vacation to get home during Christmas. Also there are problems with the study aboard programs and the semester break. Students and faculty are getting back two weeks into the semester.

Quistgaard: Faculty should also be able to engage in scholarly activity with a longer break.

Larkin: Is the 70 instructional days also a factor?

Brown: I've brought this up in the past. The idea of padding this thing out with additional research days, Winona gets additional funding for research.

Quistgaard: I don't think so. I'll check this out.

Security Issues

Brown: Since the Red Lake issue, there are again security concerns for our campus. We should have a public and well-known plan in the event that we have a crisis.

Fredrickson: Maki would have been better prepared to speak to this. We have emergency plans for each building, and identified first contacts. Each of the deans is working with each of the chairs.

Dunn and Milowski: This has been pretty minimal.

Fredrickson: There should be a tabletop exercise.

Quistgaard: I have directed Bill to review all of our plans to determine gaps. We are working on this.

Fredrickson: How should we communicate this to faculty, staff, and students?

Larkin: Let's put this on the May 11 agenda for Maki.

Dunn: We also need to address the speed bump in the AIRC/Education Arts parking lot. The markings for this are in the wrong place.

Quistgaard: Someone should get to Maki on this.

Dunn: I will do this.

Justification for fixed term, overload exceeding 5 credits, overload report, and reassigned time

Fredrickson: Documentation addressing items 9, 10, and 11 are in these envelopes.

Documentation for item 12 was sent earlier to meet stipulated timelines.

Gritzmacher: TRIO/SSS is not addressed here. There are fixed term faculty who are not addressed in any way.

Fredrickson: External funding is handled differently. I'll check into it.

Parking Proposal

Larkin: I missed the last parking committee meeting.

Quistgaard: The message that I received from student senate is that we don't have a parking problem, we have a walking problem. They do not support building additional parking lots on campus at this time.

Fredrickson: I can summarize the changes to the parking proposal. We won't differentiate the lots as much as was originally proposed. The Ed Arts would be restricted and would cost \$300 per year. Permit holders could park in any lot on campus. The AIRC lot would be \$140. It would be good for all lots but Ed Arts. Bangsburg, Maple, and Birch would be \$80. The PE lot will be \$50. Cedar is still restricted to Cedar residents and will be \$120 per year or \$40 per semester/summer session. There are also some recommendations for moving vehicles periodically for snow removal. And, there may be some plug ins. Additionally, fees for parking violations will increase.

Larkin: I would like an electronic version of the draft to provide to faculty.

Milowski: There is no community parking available for the Rec Center. It is supposed to be available to community members.

Larkin: I'll take all feedback to the committee.

Witt: How about a designated loading zone by Haag Sauer? If you have to carry anything in or out, there is no reasonable place to leave your car.

Brown: And you cannot use professional development funds to pay for parking permits?

Fredrickson: That is correct; we checked this out.

Quistgaard: A designated loading area is a good idea.

Vice President for Student Affairs position

Quistgaard: I have received a letter from Recruitment & Retention recommending adding a leadership position in academic affairs/enrollment retention. We do have some salary savings from the failed search for VP for External Relations. Given the salary options, we are unlikely to

be able to fill that position so we won't try it again. I'll be sending out a letter this week justifying this position to bargaining units. I'll ask for representatives to serve on screening committee. We have issues with retention and substantial issues with enrollment of new students. We need to strengthen some programs in the areas of diversity, student engagement and student development. I read an old report to Dr. Duly. It pointed out weaknesses and one was multiple reporting lines in academic and student affairs. We need to look at a different approach. Comparatively the assets allocated to upper administration are quite thin. With this position both student needs and enrollment needs will be met.

Fauchald: Who would report to this VP?

Quistgaard: Maki will convene a resource group to look at reporting lines this summer. They will provide a recommendation to me. Student Affairs needs to have some input on that configuration.

Fauchald: Looking at moving financial aid to the new VP as a help to admissions rather than an accounting function.

Quistgaard: We need to move toward financial aid leveraging. We need to integrate further the way we package aid to attract more students. That is a good example. People are reporting all over the place and that doesn't necessarily facilitate teamwork. We will need to clarify some things.

Brown: Will faculty have the opportunity to provide input?

Quistgaard: Yes, but it will be complicated because its summer. We'll see what we can do. In the fall, we need to get out there early to have access to a pool.

Fauchald: interim VP info about foundation stuff

Recruitment and Retention of Faculty

Larkin: There is considerable concern about our ability to recruit and retain good faculty. What is your comment?

Fredrickson: I haven't looked at all our past files, but I believe John Arneson has that information. There is a task force looking at this. If you want actual data I can't provide now, but I can also give you my sense. There are certain areas that are difficult to attract candidates. Changing qualifications to a master's degree with requirement of finishing a terminal degree increases the candidate pool. I don't see the problem of retaining faculty once we get them here. We do lose some, but you would have more sense of that than I do. But, in terms of recruiting, there are certain areas where we can attract a quite pool

Brown: Are we doing exit interview when people leave? We should find out why they are leaving.

Fredrickson: No, but we should

Brown: Retirement is another side of retention.

Quistgaard: What is the IFO position in terms of market reaction?

Fauchald: On the salary matrix, we are at the bottom. What happens on other campuses the salary matrix is a minimum amount of pay not a maximum amount of pay as it is at BSU . They can hire with the market discipline based upon what they need to pay.

Brown: Some games are being played on some campuses. An MOA is being created.

Quistgaard: Can that be done on a local basis?

Fauchald and Brown: It needs to be done between the Chancellor's and the IFO office on a case-by-case basis.

Quistgaard: I hear the same things, but it's hard to know the reality.

Fauchald We are hearing lots of people coming in at over \$70,000 on new hires. The salary matrix is the bottom. They go up from there. This is in Business, Computer Science, Engineering, and Nursing.

Dunn: What about the Mass Comm searches? I understand that one has already been declared a failed search.

Fredrickson: Yes, but it has been turned around and has gone out again.

224 duty days

Larkin: At Meet and Confer with Chancellor we were told on behalf of Bill Tschida we were told that local campus presidents have the authority to allow people to exceed the 224 duty days. Is this the case?

Quistgaard: No it isn't. I called for clarification on this. Vice Chancellor Tschida has been studying the situation and will have a recommendation out by next fall. Until that time, any request to exceed 224 days will have to be approved on a by case by case basis by Tschida.

Larkin: That will be going back to Meet and Confer next week. Thanks for calling for clarification.

Other:

Early Finals

Fredrickson: A request came in that we look more carefully at early finals. There are some concerns about this. Students have raised the issue. It needs to be brought back through the discussion process.

Milowski: That is like people teaching off the grid. Some students have 2 or 3 finals on the same day.

Quistgaard: We may have a report based on data. We will have to check the data.

Witt: The interesting thing is that the pressure we get is to have finals early.

Fauchald: This brings up a policy from the Les Duly era. If faculty members wanted to deviate from the final schedule, they needed to file an official request. Deans should enforce that policy.

Milowski: I have had trouble with others offering early finals. I don't think the deans police this.

Quistgaard: Let's send out the memo to everyone reminding this of the policy and then put this on the Meet and Confer agenda for next fall.

Student Conferences

Quistgaard: I want to applaud and express my gratitude for the wonderful conferences that we have hosted on campus this spring. These are wonderful events for student learning and offer recognition for the University.

Signature Themes

Witt: We have a motion from Senate. There are some questions and concerns regarding that the themes and the way they will potentially impact the curriculum, hiring and research agendas they have been reserved to faculty till now. The text of our concerns, as recorded in the Senate minutes of 4/18/05 are, "The President and Provost have been going to the chairs with these themes. The themes seem to impact curriculum, hiring, and individual research agendas. The setting of curriculum, determination of faculty qualifications, and the setting of individual research agendas are decisions that have long been reserved to the faculty. Recent statements by the administration suggest that the implementation of these signature themes will necessarily involve them in what has heretofore been the province of the academy . . . the executive committee, through the meet and confer process, is directed to clarify the resulting issues with administration. And, if needed, to make known the opposition of the senate to the insertion of administrative influence into what are the academy's prerogatives."

Quistgaard: That's a fair request. I'll get back to you on this.

Witt: Let me provide you with a copy of this statement.

Adjourned: 5:50 PM