

## BSUFA Meet & Confer Notes

March 2, 2011

Deputy 301A

4:00 p.m.

Attending: Webb, Peterson, Gilbertson, Ueland, Gangeness, Fauchald, Marek, Morgan, Hanson, Erickson, Maki, Erwin

### Opening Inquiries

TG: Are any faculty under investigation?

NE: Yes. Same situation as last week.

TG: Are you considering re-rostering?

NE: Same as last week.

TG: We are looking for responses to our requests from last week.

TG: From last week, what is the university's mission?

NE: The mission hasn't changed.

RH: The mission hasn't changed, but a lot of the strategies to enable the mission have changed.

### AAR

TG: From last week, we requested information about AAR

LE: I'm working on responses to AAR. I'll send it to you.

### Questions about measuring retention and graduation rates

TG: Questions concerning measuring retention.

RH: We have to turn in data to IPEDS.

JU: Will you track departments with those?

RH: No, just as an institution. Not departments. MnSCU isn't interested in department level.

Everyone else is using IPEDS so we can compare institutions.

JU: We had talked a little about department graduation rates. Are departments going to be evaluated for that?

RH: I have no intention of getting into that. I am only thinking about state and system and national. I'm not sneaking in an evaluative tool. It's a reasonable question to ask at evaluation time.

JG: If it does come to that, then we need to know. We keep two sets of numbers.

RH: No need. The challenge to us is not to be in the middle of the pack as an institution.

### Tobacco Free Campus Policy draft (attached)

LE: The draft will be on the website. Last May, Q and I brought this to the bargaining units. Q wanted us to be tobacco free as part of our values and for health reasons. This was presented at Student Senate, and I'm putting it forward to M&C for response and feedback. Hoping to finalize by the end of the month.

DP: Will you be providing places for smokers to dispose of stuff just off campus?

LE: That's the kind of feedback we're looking for.

JU: I'm a little concerned that faculty who violate this will be subject to discipline. What has to happen for implementation?

TF: We have a soft implementation to build momentum to hard implementation in the fall.  
RH: Hard implementation is not giving people tickets. It's friendly, hand them a card, remind them of the policy.  
JU: But you are saying that faculty can be fired for smoking on campus. That's what the draft says.  
LE: And students could be expelled. That's a more effective strategy.  
TF: We've done progressive discipline before, when smoking was banned in offices.  
MM: That was a state law. This is a campus policy concerning a legal practice.  
TG: We'll run it downstate and to the Senate.

#### Student Complaints / Grievances Policy draft (attached)

LE: Student Complaints and Grievances is out of step with MnSCU, so I'm bringing a draft to MSUAASF and others for M&C. Our grievance policy lacks time frames, information about a required form, and the academic grievance lacks information about the final appeal to the president. I hope to have this approved by the end of the term for implementation next year.  
TF: What are you doing with the handbook?  
LE: I'm folding them into one.  
TF: The contract speaks to grades. Are you setting this up with grade procedures?  
LE: This says that grade grievances has a different procedure.  
TF: This doesn't include sexual harassment?  
LE: No, this is generic.  
TG: How many of these grievances do we run into a year?  
LE: Four or five a month. They come in about administration offices too.  
TG: Might this change the number of complaints?  
LE: No. I think it's the time frame. The other impact is language that provides a framework for discussion.  
TG: We'll send it downstate and to Senate. When do you want to implement?  
LE: This semester.

#### Laptop Replacement

WM: We'd like to get reaction to replacing laptops this summer. 2008 was the last update, a 4 year cycle would push it to 2012. It might be in our best interest to update now. We have \$250 - 400k from IT, leftover BESI, and other money. The times we're in are challenging to go a year early.  
TF: We'll make the leap to Outlook at the same time?  
RH: That's what I want to see. But that's a staffing issue.  
MM: Are you thinking dual boots, or choice of OS? You know that teaching demands alternatives, and that we support faculty choice on this.  
WM: Mitch would put together options for us.

#### Phone System Replacement and Upgrade

WM: We're replacing our system to VOIP. That was part of the plan with federal stimulus dollars. We have money aside for this. We're outsourcing from PBNet. We need to get this done by the middle of May because the analog is in Birch and we're updating Birch. We'll have \$100k. We don't want the perception of spending money when we're cutting faculty and staff.  
TF: Everybody is getting a new phone to make this work?  
WM: Yes.

KM: How will this announcement be sent?

WM: FAC\_STAF.

TG: We'll take to senate for informational purposes.

NE: Michelle Frenzel was hired as registrar.

KM: Calendar Committee is meeting and trying to work to have holidays fall on holidays. We're looking at adding a week onto spring for field classes that are getting shorted.

JU: There are a lot of issues ...

KM: Teaching classes when there's no campus support - that's not a good deal. We're also discussing whether we need we need a reading day or not.

NE: Schedules will be up Friday.

#### Deans's Memos

NE distributed a formal request not to distribute non-redacted memos from deans that were included in the 600 word essay binder.

DP: Was there no memo distributed by CAS dean?

NE: It was submitted to me without a request

JU: It should be provided in redacted form. We are talking about transparency and openness. We're trying to see how the planning happened.

TG: We did get a recommendation from downstate. Names are a private issue. But if the deans presented information, we request that information.

TF: It would be fair to present the CAS dean's information. There's a message that there wasn't a third.

NE: I will take this under consideration.

JU: I would like President Hanson to have the CAS dean's information too.

TG: It would be appreciated if the spirit of the document would be communicated.

#### Anonymized course data from Chegg.com

LE distributed a request for information she received (attached).

LE: I received a request for anonymized course data from Chegg.com. We complied. All the universities complied. This comes under the freedom of information act. We did get money for doing this.

TF: This is for a rate may professor kind of site?

LE: I think so.

#### Curriculum Process

NE: I want to talk about how to advise students on programs that are changing. I want to engage in a discussion in programmatic changes.

TF: How many programs do we have wishing to be deleted?

NE: Ten programs are in the process of change. This is just a point of conversation for senate. It doesn't need a formal reply.

TG: I will pass it on to Senate. I know some departments are suspending programs. That has to go to senate.

Carry forwards

WM distributed details on specific accounts that will be hit for carry forward, along with a spreadsheet. (attached) This version updates the first draft.

DP: This doesn't include student fee accounts, differential tuition accounts, music lesson accounts, some athletic accounts?

WM: Those are being viewed as restricted accounts. What's on these sheets is what carry forward we are considering. If it's not on here, it's not an account we're considering.

TF: The hits are coming at the end of the fiscal year. These numbers might change. What happens if we take a carry forward and the department doesn't have money in the account?

WM: That will be handled by Academic Affairs

TF to NE: What happens?

NE: That will something we have to consider.

JU: What are the *VP of Academic Affairs Reserve*, and the other two? What are those?

NE: *Reserve* is there for paying for someone who's out.

WM: *Tech* is technology. That's funds for smart rooms. I think the other two are operating accounts for emergency and reserve.

DP: If a program wanted to use the money now that is going to be taken, is there a process of appeal?

NE: We'd have to take a look at that. We have to be flexible. This money has to be set aside for a contingency.

DP: I understand the need to set money aside, but this penalizes programs that were thrifty. This has happened in the past. It doesn't seem that thrift is valued or supported. How would you suggest programs plan in this kind of situation?

RH: That's an excellent question.

DP: I would penalize programs that overspend.

JG: You have a huge list of overspending and they are mainly athletics, and they won't be penalized for overspending.

WM: Athletics aren't getting enough money to operate anyway. We have to go to places where there is money. And it has been the responsible programs who we need to take money from.

JG: We need to stop the hemorrhaging.

RH: There are a lot of accounts who do not overspend. If you're funded right, your carry forward should be zero.

JU: This carry forward is a response to times getting bad. But holding onto a program reserve is a way departments have been using to make sure they can survive.

TF: Most entities don't have carry forwards, but when you look at the negative accounts, the way they work is typically you're not in trouble if there are other programs covering. Business is \$1,900 in the hole, and the M&E account hasn't gone up for over 20 years. It's shocking that there aren't more negatives. Departments have had time to spend down.

DW: These numbers are from last August. Do we have time to make purchases?

WM: No. If you spend, we'll still take the amount listed. We figured it on August dollars, but we're still going to take it.

TF: I would have a concern that if the money is spent, it would hit the division level hard.

NE: It's a look at the institution, and it's a hit we'll have to take as an institution to deal with a 200-student shortfall.

TG: There are different philosophies of how departments budget and how this going to affect us.

TF: We could use the BSUFA Budget Committee to plan.

DP: It would be helpful for programs to understand how the administration wants us to work with our budgets.

RH: The circumstances now are extraordinary. This demonstrates a need to have a larger reserve, and we have to go where the money is.

TF: Where do these budget numbers come from?

WM: They are determined each year, starting with the VPs office and I adjust. Underspend one year and you don't get as much the next.

TG: I hate see a situation where people are being encouraged to blow their money or lose it.

WM: We don't want to encourage that.

TF: It's been historical budgeting, so each department got the same each year. But we have bunch of accounts that aren't really refilled each year.

TG: Has this been implemented or is it informational?

WM: This is for your response. We need something by the end of March.

TG: Well take it to Senate. We need to look at this and charge our Budget committee with it. Thanks to Bill for getting this to us.

Adjourned at 5:30

Submitted

M C Morgan