

## BSUFA Meet & Confer Agenda [Notes]

13 Apr 2011

Deputy 306

4:00 pm

Attending: Marek, Webb, Gilbertson, Fauchald, Morgan  
Hanson, Erickson, Maki, Erwin

### BSUFA Items

#### Opening Inquiries

Are any faculty under investigation?

NE: One is ongoing,

Are you considering re-rostering?

NE: There has been no change since our last meeting.

#### Redacted memos

NE provided the redacted memos from the deans to Gilbertson.

#### Faculty response to tobacco-free campus initiative

TG: How much did the consultant cost?

NE: I will check [? I believe that's what was said.]

MM: For the record, this was implemented without faculty feedback.

RH: I waited until the end of March.

#### Faculty response to laptop update

TG: The the prior implementation was to choose your operating system. This is a change in implementation that did not come through M&C. We did not get a request for choice of OS. The chairs got a request for faculty names.

MM: This places a limitation on Mac OS users. Do you have data on how much it will cost to convert and retrain those users on Windows OS?

DW: What counts as "necessary"?

NE: We're going to have to get more specific.

Discussion on ambiguities in the request to justify Mac OS.

RH: I don't want to make this a process. Have faculty specify what they need.

Issue was set aside for WM to arrive.

#### Gilsrud and Affirmative Action Committee

TF: The committee hasn't met

RH: They should be meeting. Well check that out.

#### Evaluating Administrators

TG: Are there plans evaluate administrators this year?

RH: That's a good idea.

NE: It has been discussed with the deans

TG: But will it happen?

NE: We will meet again Tuesday and will discuss it. Is this request coming from the state IFO?

TG: No, it's local.

DW: It's been done in the past. It has history.

RH: We need to do it.

President's Student Commission presentation to Deans and VPs

RH: I started this with students. It's about leadership. I charged them to study vocation, then let them do their research. They worked hard and came up with opinions. They learned a great deal.

TG: Can we see the report?

RH: I can write a summary. But they have their own report. They studied internship, advising, student evaluations, study abroad, and FYE.

DW: Is the report open to faculty?

RH: Absolutely. That's a good idea. If I get a copy of the PowerPoint, I'll forward that.

KM: How is this information going to be used?

RD: It's not used for anything by us. It's a researched opinion. It's not a hammer.

Contingency plans in case of state shutdown

TG: Nancy and I talked about this. If we shut down, what do we do?

RG: We discussed it in St Paul. They are making plans to stay open. Bill says we can go on our own resources. They are talking reserve funds.

TF: If the governor has to make a decision, he could close us. We have a lot of credits in summer, we can't endanger summer sessions.

RH: I'll let you know as I know it. The next meeting is May 2 or 3.

TG: What do we put in syllabus? Do we lose email?

RH: I will send an email out right away.

Faculty hires in Tech Studies department: Is this consistent with the contract given the recalibration?

TG: Given 6 lost positions in that department, are the new posts consistent?

NE: One is a replacement for a failed search, the other didn't make tenure. We let 8 go, and the dean asked for 2 back.

TG: It's consistent with contract.

Teaching FYE under load

DW: Is it the plan that teaching FYE will be under load?

NE: Yes. Faculty should work it out with deans and chairs.

TF: That means there would be no hires under adjunct./

LE: I'm welcome to see FYE under load.

Request print out of taxed accounts and amounts

TG: We got the print out. Were looking for the criteria for choosing accounts and how much was in each account.

NE: We need to wait for Bill for the numbers. Our rationale: George Brown, CEL, others were taxed with no money so we had to go to other accounts.

TG: Will this level out?

NE: We're working on that. We don't want to punish the frugal.

TF: We're requesting how the account balances were calculated.  
WM: That was in the last handout  
TF: Ok. I was interested knowing if we were looking at recent balances. Grants weren't touch?  
WM: Right  
TF: Did you make exceptions for frugal savers?  
WM: The distribution was decided by the deans.  
TF: So the frugal issue is still in the air.  
NE: We'll have to take that up later.  
TF: We need to tell the faculty that if they feel they shouldn't have been taxed, they should do what? Contact you?  
NE: The frugal will have to dealt with going forward.  
WM: The million is gone.  
TF: To balance it out will money come put of academic affairs?  
NE: The idea is not to punish but to make that money available to make a purchase.  
TG: Have there been discussions about carrying forward?  
WM: From an institutional perspective, we need to have carry forward. How it is handled on a campus level is up to us. It's a matter of how it allocated.  
TG: I don't want to create a situation where departments feel compelled to spend down so not to be taxed. Second point: some departments have better sense of how to handle budgets.  
WM: The tax is viewed as one time situation. If you need to carry forward, we're thinking of having you contact deans to have the money ring fenced. That's the plans we're looking at.

#### Laptops

TG: It sounds like the justification for operating system is absolute.  
WM: I'm not in the details. We overbought machines last time. So if you need a MacBook Pro for teaching, you have to justify it to save money.  
RH: How does Mitch know what faculty need?  
Discussion on how to handle the OS requests.  
MM: All you need to do to is to ask each faculty member which OS they need to get their work done. They shouldn't need to justify that.  
KM: Mitch has specs on a Mac with an \$800 difference. That's the problem.  
TG: We're not going to solve this now. Can we just get a count and go from there?  
WM: I would suggest we go back and build the estimate from there. My sense is that were bot going to be off the mark.

#### AAR payment

TG: A clarification for the record. Previous practice for payment has not been changed.  
LE: Right  
KM: When you're off duty, your paid

#### Commencement at Sanford Center

TG thanks RH for the invitation. Will there be further schedules?  
RH: The committee is working on it. Families don't have to pay for parking.  
TG: Cost?  
WM: About \$9,000 combined, with parking at \$2,000.

Roster designation of seniority at a prior MnSCU institution

TG: We have a few faculty with prior service at another MnSCU institution and are seeking asterisks. It doesn't count towards cuts, but it does count for years of service.

NE: How many?

TG: Maybe two.

NE: Human Resources deals with this.

TG: We still have not seen a memo from Dean Poor. Did she write one?

NE: There was one, I read it. She's unwilling to hand it over.

### **Administration Items**

Grant proposal draft submitted to TG

NE: We're proposing a committee for developing a policy for research grants.

TG: Deadline on this?

NE: We would like somebody by the end of the semester. We'd like to start in fall.

Promotion & Tenure letters during commencement

RH: I would like to make a big deal of faculty tenure and promotion. Can we do that?

TF: I would ask for input from faculty. We normally get notice of it at the beginning of the year.

Exec caucused and approved of RH's plan.

Internship Policy

NE submitted guidelines on setting up internships to TGH.

NE: We're looking for faculty feedback

University Calendar

NE distributed calendars from calendar committee for comment from faculty.

Timelines for Professional development and evaluation; Promotion; Tenure; Sabbatical leaves and Non-renewal provisions

NE distributed above for comment from faculty.

MAP draft

NE submitted the MAP for comment and consideration. Notes some changes in layout.

Faculty Incident on Facebook

RH: A faculty member posted bullying remarks against a student. I'm asking if this is a beginning of a problem. Is this going to be a problem? I'm interested in your reaction.

DW: This kind of thing is outpacing the legal system and the contract.

LE: As data compliance officer, I noticed that it might have been a FERPA breach.

TF: FERPA release is a release, wherever it occurs. And if the member would get in trouble for doing this verbally, there are some issues.

RH: This is troubling.

LE: The faculty mentioned three students.

TG: Is this member under investigation?

NE: No.

TG: Will it result in an investigation?

RH: Might

TG: This might be a fall start up presentation.

Discussion on social media, civility.

TG: We'll bring it to senate.

TG and NE: We need to set up letter that grievances are in limbo for the summer.

Adjourned at 5:50

Submitted

M C Morgan