

BSUFA MEET AND CONFER AGENDA

MARCH 27TH, 2019 – 4:00 P.M. - DEPUTY 301A

OPENING QUERIES

1. Retrenchment

No.

2. Are any faculty members currently under investigation? Nature of investigation (no name needed).

Yes, one.

3. Have any investigations been completed? Results?

No.

UPDATES

1. President's Update

President Hensrud

Faith: Tomorrow is Bemidji day at the capital. We have three campus individuals attending, Josh Christianson, Andy Bartlet, and myself are going. I have a meeting with Rep Grossell since it's been hard to meet with him. MN State budget ask is on the agenda. It's looking better since the governor added 13 million to MN state and the house has come out with their budget. We've heard it's the full ask but we haven't seen it yet. Karen will provide a budget update for you later. But overall, we're feeling good. It's not one of those years that we will have to cut millions out of the budget

Derek: Was their going to be a funded tuition freeze?

Karen: I haven't heard with the exception of the house, but that's a rumor.

Faith: We had the President Leadership Council meet and we focused on collaboration. There were good conversations with staff and others and Joe Ridder mentioned the high school, NTC, Sanford collaboration. This collaboration is needed for Sanford to provide funding for us regarding the pipeline. We'll hear back from them soon (early April) and we're optimistic. We proposed it last month.

Mike: MN House posted 205 million for education funded (to fully fund tuition freezes for Minn State campuses), it was the full ask with an anticipated freeze.

Thursday will be the day that the senate budget will be revealed. We also conducted alumni visits in Florida and Arizona with a number of people. We're not rolling into the millions yet. But we've even had someone donate a piano...well done.

2. Strategic plan update

President Hensrud

We're updating the progress on all the areas in the strategic plan and plan to present it to everyone the end of April. We are also looking at the budget and at what items in the strategic plan have budget implications. If such items are on task and what the dollar amounts. We're going through that in the cabinet and we will include that information in Karen's budget. It's looking like relatively small amount.

3. Master Academic Plan update

Tony Pepper

One part of the plan that I'm excited about is virtually attending Reimagining MN. There were some presenters who were very good and interesting. Our MAP calls for an advising workshop. We've had regular workshops and have had a conversation this past winter about this. On May 6th, we'll be following up with Tiffany Mfume, Assistant Vice President for Student Success and Retention at Morgan State University who presented about advising and retention. They are similar in size to BSU, so this could be helpful. She'll be here on a consultation basis. An announcement will be emailed out.

4. Facilities update

Karen Snorek

We're working on the energy control system project. Almost done with that. Positive news is we need to replace the smoke stacks, but they came back higher than we had in the budget. We thought, let's ask the system office for extra money and they fully funded \$250,000. It will happen this summer. We have money in our contingencies that will give us the updated lights in the Gillette Wellness Center. They will switch to LEDs. It will cost \$200,000, but between rebates and energy savers, it will pay for itself in 2 years. Just our time will be the biggest cost.

5. Hagg-Sauer renovation update

Karen Snorek

Karen: Steve is right. We have concerns in Bangsberg with dust and we have implemented air quality testers. We'll have information back soon.

Steve: The jackhammering, burning eyes, and of course the learning concerns are all issues. If you can expedite it, that would be very helpful.

Karen: With Benson we had nothing but great comments, except for the language and music from the crew. But it's been dealt with. Let us know right away if that happens again.

Summer classes: Encourage all to stay away from BSU this summer if you do not need to be here. We sent out emails to chairs so we could find out who needs space. The space will be shared among faculty. The library will get new carpet on the first through the third floors and there will be very little space open for the summer. Just the fourth floor will be open. This is the best time we could do it. We'll do our best. By next Friday we hope to have a complete list of who will be here and need space.

Mike: If we have file cabinets, desks, etc. do we need to complete work orders?

Karen: No, we'll take care of that. You'll just need to take care of your personal belongings.

April 2nd will be the last day to review furniture choices (working with IT to ensure the choices work well with technical configurations). Then we can share that information at that time. Faculty will go back into classrooms right away with furniture. The bookshelves will be added after furniture etc. so that faculty can tell us where they want them or if they want them taken the down. We are on time right now.

Faith: Planning a retirement party for HS building on April 30th in the afternoon. There will be a ceremony from wind ensemble and cake. The HS name will continue on.

Karen: Make sure any rooms that were donated have the plaques moved to the new rooms.

6. Budget update

Karen Snorek

Karen: 169 million from the ask and the governor is up to 61 million. 18 million will come in the first year, 38 million the second year. The new revised numbers give us \$150,000 more on campus. Some highlights are listed below.

- Enrollment- 50 fye down from FY 2019
- 100 fye decline 2018 to 2019
- Anticipated budgeting for another 50 fye from 2019- 2020
- Looking at 3% cap on tuition right now. The governor was silent for the 0-freeze request. If we get something similar, the board of trustees will have a voice on tuition. Depending on the scenario we will use \$520,000 or \$920,000 to cover the computer refresh, and the facility comprehensive plan (asking system office on postponing for a year due to our construction and

HLC visit) It was \$135,000 but it would be moved to FY 2021.

- MN asked for full funding for ISRS NextGen but there was a 29-million-dollar difference between ask and funded. We were told to budget \$400,000 for NextGen. We'll know more as we learn more.

Mike: Is this a tax or recurring?

Karen: This is for 6 fiscal years (\$400,000 each year), but it's not a tax. The positive thing is that academics will have the same amount of money this year.

Mike: How much is 3% tuition getting us?

Karen: \$960,000 would be total from the 3%. By the next time we meet, we'll know more. Right now, so much is in flux.

Mike: I might write my first letter to the legislature.

Derek: Have you heard if the NextGen project will be slowed down?

Karen: I have not heard anything like that. The RFP has been completed and there's a third party who is reviewing it in time for the system to put it out in a bid by June. From June-March we select a vendor. No slow down as far as I know. The process is just long.

7. Positions update

Megan Zothman

Megan: You all have access to the tool on the website. The following searches or vacancies are posted; CJ has 2 positions still in committee, Fixed Term- Geology, Probationary- Voice, Probationary- Theory (filled), Probationary- Psychology Clinic (failed), Probationary- Professional Education Distributed Learning (PEDL) (offer out), Probationary- Spanish, and Probationary- GIS.

Dean: Operations Management Search has failed? The current person resigned. Is there a decision on that position? The offer was declined, and we have a full-time position worth of courses that need to be taught.

Tony: I have asked the dean to talk to the department to discuss how to take care of that situation.

Dean: Anything you can do to speed up that process would be good.

Derek: Is there going to be an announcement on the dean search?

Tony: Yes, we completed a contract with a candidate and I'm happy to tell you who. It's forthcoming this week.

Megan: This information is out there. If there is a request for a formal announcement; Dr. Marylyn Yoder has accepted our offer. She was a biologist at University of Missouri Kansas City. She will be starting July 1.

8. Enrollment update

Michelle Frenzel

Michelle: I didn't bring much. We've had our first updated, two AAR programs. Any feedback would be helpful.

Dean: There was a gentleman who kept interrupting in Beaux Arts that made it tough to talk to the parents and students.

Michelle: Okay, thanks. Reach out to Zach Johnson or myself if any other comments come up. Friday student registration started. This is a 3-week process that we schedule windows and we hit the ground running.

AGENDA ITEMS

1. On campus students enrolling in online courses Carryover from 2-27-19 Attachment A & B

Tony / Michelle

Tony: I want to thank the senate for their input on the original draft. So, the revision reflects the feedback.

Highlights:

- 4 parts to the protocols are similar to what happens now.
- Registration in Online courses is preferred enrollment to online students for the first 4 weeks.
- Normal demand online courses (all those who have always been open after 4 weeks) will be open as usual after 4 weeks.
- 4 weeks prior to the start of a semester, online courses that are high demand, will be open to registration for all BSU students.
 - One exception. For those who are on pace to graduate and the course is not on schedule to be offered again, (upon verifying they are on track to graduate), they will go to the front of the line.
 - We'll re-work in the Course work only form to incorporate the petition of a student who is graduating soon, and we'll share the document at M&C at the beginning of fall semester.

Dean: How do we advise students if we don't know what normal vs high demand classes are?

Tony: There is an instructive statement on each course that indicates if it is a high demand course.

Michelle: The courses that open 4 weeks after registration (the same as before) are regular demand.

Dean: What is the thinking?

Michelle: 4 weeks refers to the on-campus student that needs an online course now. For Fall 2019 the process is still the same.

Dean: What about a student that wants a high demand course earlier?

Michelle: You can still use the Coursework only form to get them in faster. This is for Fall 2019.

Tony: They can sign up for the online courses after four weeks.

Dean: In terms of advising, this doesn't look like a good plan to me. Nothing says that if we have a flood of students into online course sections what this will do to your hiring process for adjuncts. When you typically are talking about physical seats as your reason.

Tony: These are metaphorical seats; the caps draft will clarify some of this next M&C. If there's a surge in enrollment, then that's a good thing in my opinion. I'm not sure that I'm answering the question?

Dean: I teach a capstone course for Fall 19, 3 sections, 2 online and one on-campus, with your plan it is very likely that a lot of these students will take the online section for convenience. The two online sections will go to cap with triggers to increase caps. The on-campus is now down to 8 and you decide to cancel the on-campus course due to lack of students. Now I have 7 or 8 angry students who cannot graduate.

Tony: There won't be enough virtual seats even if the doable is triggered. There must be multiple full sections, or we don't go up to doable amount. We do not go to the doable amount unless all the online and on-campus sections are full. The doable cap will not cover 1/2 the enrollment from the online. It's a scenario that couldn't happen in reality. We don't cancel courses that must be offered for graduation.

Faith: We need to move forward with this, and we'll see the issues as we go.

Kari: I don't agree with your rational. We have a faculty member in our department who conducted group HLC evaluations of non-BSU programs and universities, and there is nothing here that is regarding HLC requires students to be able to choose online over on campus courses. If that were the case, you would have to force all on campus courses to have online counterparts.

Tony: I respectfully disagree.

Kari: I would request that you do not allow any new transfer students into our program (High demand) 4 weeks prior to the semester. I would suggest a letter be sent to the students from administration explaining why.

Dean: One question, will there be a ceiling for online classes?

Tony: There will.

Keith: Normal vs high, what would trigger it?

Tony: Based on enrollment patterns.

Keith: It's obvious that the Service Center is making the errors.

Megan: In theory, the service center should be processing what the deans are entering. Some transfer issues occur from clicking a button for the automated system process, and some issues are manually entered.

Keith: This year when we're asked to enter our spreadsheet, will that go to the service center?

Randy: That information does.

Keith: Those sheets go back and forth a few times and it seems like they come back worse than they started.

Megan: Can we meet separately since some areas are more complex?

Randy: Those are the columns they have to fill in to FWM so there not being imported.

Megan: I'll look specific to yours (says to Keith) because yours would be a good example.

8. 2019 President's Cabinet Feedback Surveys / 2019 Dean Feedback Surveys Megan Zothman

Faith: These surveys are a way to get feedback on our cabinet officers on their work for continuous improvement. Instead of a 360 evaluation which is very expensive and complex, we'll instead take the survey questions and put it in the Qualtrics starting next Monday (April 1st). It will be given to everyone you choose to evaluate. Feel free to pick and choose. There are 4 questions and the feedback will go to Megan, Faith, and the person you're evaluating.

Megan: Last year we had discussions with IFO and there was a desire for consistency for cabinet and the deans. These are confidential and more information will be released.

Derek: Will there be an email?

Tony: Yes, 2 emails. One for the cabinet from Faith and one from me for the Deans.

Faith: We are having conversations of doing a 360 survey on select people in the future on a rotation basis.

Keith: Has the wording in these changed? The wording was very much like a business organization last time.

Megan: It's much different than last time. The questions are more open ended. What's going well? What do they need to work on? etc. They are very open, more general, and strait forward.

9. Faculty opportunities to teach abroad at partner schools Tony Peffer

I'm asking for your help in communicating these points and I will be sharing this information too. We have relationships and agreements with China, Vietnam, and Japan that include faculty exchange opportunities. In the short term, these universities have already committed to welcoming our faculty to their campuses. World Learning: Created peace corps and has been involved in international education and are connected to Fulbright. They are sitting ready for our faculty and I'd like to help our faculty go to other countries. We'll have other announcements.

10. Data Privacy Items Tony Peffer

Reminder that student IDs, tech IDs, and SS numbers, are under FERPA and considered private information. You cannot use these items in a public setting (like in D2L by faculty). Just a reminder and please pass on the message.

Faith: Do we need to do FERPA updates with faculty?

Randy: I've asked Shane to send out a fac/staff regarding this issue.

Derek: Training is good, other suggestions would be welcomed.

Faith: The instant this happens (violation of FERPA) then we have to notify the Dept of Education and the students in writing within a time period. Then we make a commitment that it doesn't happen again. If you feel you haven't been trained on this, then we can do a better job on it.

Dean: I have never seen a course management system used as an example in my many FERPA trainings.

Faith: Does every new faculty we get have training on this? Are we doing anything during their orientation?

Megan: We can do more.

Keith: Innocuous?

Tony: A faculty member listed students by tech id that went out to everyone on a spreadsheet. This person had good intentions of providing feedback.

11. FY 20 Budget Outlook

Karen Snorek

See item #6: Budget update.

12. Other

Randy: Proposing a change to the incomplete grade policy on campus to make it more consistent. Changes the one semester limit to a year.

Derek: I'll bring this to senate.

Kari: I have an item quick that I maybe should have mentioned earlier in the meeting. I've asked by my department faculty to find out why our caps were increased again in the last few days. Is this an error?

Tony: I don't believe so? You should really speak to your Dean about this.

Kari: We did. She said it was because of your caps policy. I know this isn't the case, because your caps policy hasn't been implemented yet.

Tony: No, it's not due to the caps policy.

Kari: I know. Can you tell me what has happened between 3 days ago and now that would trigger a cap increase?

Tony: Well, some caps were put back to Fall 18 caps. I did ask for an audit by the Deans that would restore Fall 2019 caps to Fall 2018 levels. I could see how that may have been misunderstood by Bonnie.

Kari: There needs to be more communication and a clear reasoning as to why the caps are increasing.

Kari: This is the first I've heard of this audit and the department hasn't heard of this reason either.

Tony: This is not the policy, it is more to not change it from Fall 2018. But it should have been communicated.

Adjourned 5:35

BSUFA MEET AND CONFER ATTENDEES:

BSUFA MEMBERS for 2018-2019

Derek Webb, President
Steve Carlson, Past President
Bill Joyce, Treasurer
Michael Murray, Negotiator
Dean Frost, Chief Grievance Officer
Keith Marek, Board Member
Elizabeth Rave, Board Member
Sheila Paul, Executive Committee Secretary
Kari Wood, Senate Recording Secretary
Lainie Hiller, Staff member and M&C note taker

ADMINISTRATORS

President Hensrud
Tony Pepper
Karen Snorek
Michelle Frenzel
Deb Peterson
Randy Westhoff
Megan Zothman

BSUFA SCHEDULED MEETINGS FOR 2018-2019

4 PM – DEPUTY 301A

APRIL 3RD, 2019 – ALTERNATE

APRIL 24TH, 2019
MAY 1ST, 2019 – ALTERNATE

MAY 8TH, 2019
MAY 15TH, 2019 – ALTERNATE