

Meet and Confer 10.27.21

Present:

- Dennis Lunt, Heidi Hansen, DeeDee Narum, Thomas Dirth, Kat Klement, Val Wallingford, Dean Frost, Rucha Ambikar, Halbana Tarmizi
- Faith Hensrud, Allen Bedford, Karen Snorek, Randy Westhoff, Megan Zothman

Opening queries

Dennis Lunt: Has any discussion of retrenchment taken place since the last meet and confer?

Faith Hensrud: No.

Dennis Lunt: Are there any faculty currently under investigation?

Megan Zothman: No.

Dennis Lunt: Are there any faculty investigations completed?

Megan Zothman: N/a, since there were no active.

Updates after campus forum

Dennis: Any updates since the last forum?

Faith: Any questions, I guess is the right question? Basically, Combined Charities was the big topic, and United Way was guest presenting.

Dennis: I do want to note that we still are looking for a secretary, Kat is taking notes for now.

President's updates

Organizational Charts. Changes to HR and update on DEI

Faith: I just wanted you to be aware that we're updating the organizational charts; it's been a while since we did that.

Megan: They're not done yet, but they'll be on the website by the end of this week. I'll let all the bargaining units know.

Faith: Back in 2019 when we were looking at the organizational reporting lines, we saw that we needed to switch reporting for HR to the president, rather than the CFO. And we wanted that to be in place before the presidential search. Another change is to the faculty TSM, that's the service hub for faculty transactions. We are opting to take that back for BSU and NTC because we feel we can do it better. So just

wanted you to be aware of that, and to position our HR office aligned with the president. As an update on DEI, when we hired Steven Parker as CDO, we recognized that Deb Peterson's position was not sustainable for one person. Deb and Heather Labatt left, who was our investigator. We're now exploring a split between Affirmative Action (AA) and Title IX investigator. We did an interim hire for AA and we're putting together a job description for an investigator and we're making sure to get that posted fairly soon. So, under our office of DEI, the CDEI was intended to report to the CDO. Steven has created the Division of Civil Rights, DEI, and AA. I think it's going to strengthen the campus and the work and allow the CDO to do the work of building capacity on campus for the DEI work. Just wanted to know if there were any questions about that.

Dennis: I think I'd like Senate to have a chance to weigh in on that. So I take it those org charts aren't ready yet?

Megan: They soon will be; you'll be viewing them on Friday.

Dennis: Any major organization chart changes or new administrative positions need to go through M&C and Senate, so we will take whatever we have to Senate.

Faith: Are you talking about new administrator positions? We have no new administrators.

Dennis: The divisions and organization charts.

Faith: We've never done that.

Megan: If we have campus-wide organizational changes, that's something we'd bring to M&C and Senate, like moving Travis Greene's job to a direct line to the president. But we do quite frequently, and throughout the year, create different positions, do changes to staff level positions, and don't bring those forward. So like, for example, the new positions coming forward in Steven's area as CDO; we don't have a current process where we bring those org charts, any of that data to any of our units.

Dennis: Let me do some research and make sure I understand those policies. My thought had been since that changes how things like investigations and board policy are implemented, that those would be, so to speak, high enough.

Faith: We do it with administrator positions, but not for support roles.

Dennis: Let me do some research on that. But certainly, notifying Senate of those organizational changes.

Faith: We'd hoped to bring those org charts today, but it's also not "new," we're just updating the charts last done in 2019.

Dennis: But the investigation process has changed.

Faith: No, investigations went to Heather, and her position is vacant, but now we're going to fill that.

Dennis: I had misunderstood that. I understood from discussions with Steven that the duties were being shifted among now, him and two other positions. Whereas previously, there had been, we went from only Deb to Deb and Heather. And now we have other duties shift things, which means those duties move between some of those positions.

Megan: Steven will be the Title IX investigator and Travis Greene and I would be deputy investigators to help with the process. We the actual investigator and nor are we making the decision of what rises to an investigation.

Dennis: My understanding was there was more shifting or reorganization happening than there is. I'll touch base with both Steven Parker and Megan later to clarify.

Faith: Maybe we need to more clearly delineate the process of investigations, to clarify that.

Dennis; I think faculty need to know how these processes happen, otherwise they can't utilize board policy.

NTC name change/mascot process

Faith: This is something we've talked about for a while, because NTC is not in the northwest of the state. As long as it has "Minnesota" or "state" in the name, we can rename it. We're putting together a group to start exploring new names. And we'll be looking for feedback from Bemidji State, too. Our goal is to bring it to the Board in January or March of 2022.

Kat: What is the mascot?

Faith: They don't have one right now, because there's no sports. But the students want one. Sounds like a fun thing to do.

FY22 Staffing plan

Megan: This will coincide with our org charts. So it'll be in Teams, the staffing plan does not go on to the website. And so you know, my information right now does not have all of the IFO pieces, I see that this is an agenda item further down, because obviously you're going through that cycle as well. So when you take a look at mine again with our chart, we'll be seeing all the staff positions. And it's really just highlighting out what is different. So is there a position that we've traditionally had that we've held for FY 22? It doesn't mean that it's held forever. So we would come back

and assess it for FY 23. And there are positions newly proposed and approved to fill, all of the other things that are traditional positions that we have, that are not on this kind of exception list, as either new or held – those are moving forward. So you probably have noticed lots of searches going on. I've got people joining our team all the time. So there is movement within all of that. And I think you have quite a few already written for IFO. But I won't go into further detail and let Allen and Randy grab that in their section. But then you'll be able to see on the staff counts where that coincides with the overall org charts for BSU and NTC. So I will email you, Dennis, this will be linked into the meeting confirm me insights for all the bargaining unit leaders.

Dennis: Thank you for doing that and consolidating that.

Covid updates

Update on contact tracing team

Dennis: We have a standing item for this. My memory from last meeting, one person was hired with another on the way. Any comments about that team is going?

Megan: Right now her focus is on the MMB 14.46 policy. We now have employees locked in for a regular testing procedure. Angel Soli is in contact with students who don't have a routine testing procedure. We'll be looking for those students to end those working agreements until they're in compliance. She's also working with the other groups of students, verifying their submissions of vaccinations. I'm really hopeful that we'll see some good numbers from that. Those are her two focuses right now. It's going really well overall.

Dennis: That's good to hear. It's a big job. Any questions or thoughts from either side of the table on contact tracing and processing those vaccine attestations?

Faith: You should see an email come out in a fac/staff giving an update on the process for contact tracing for what to expect if a student reports a positive case. But that's only for cases we're aware of. I know Travis and Andy were working on putting together another message on that.

Dennis: I appreciate that, Faith. That's something we've discussed at M&Cs and I think it's a good reminder and gives faculty confidence in the system we've built to protect them. Also very glad to see the testing sites come operational; it was good to work with you on that.

Faith: Thank you for working on that. I'm excited that it's going to be up and running tomorrow. I understand that the governor was excited to announce it.

MMB vaccine / testing requirement

Dennis: The attestation policy – the Senate took a position on this policy. I wanted to clarify faculty wishes. It's one thing for me to advocate for science-based policy, but I wanted their voices to be heard. The Senate did adopt this resolution, urging the extension of that policy to anyone who works on or studies at campus in any setting, wherever infection is likely. We realize there's a lot of moving parts in that request, but that is the stated goal of faculty. I wanted to ask for Cabinet's response to that resolution and your thoughts on whether it's capable of being implemented.

Faith: I forwarded that on to the System Office because it's not our ability to set that policy locally. Without a community testing site, the cost would have been prohibitive. But the fact is, we can't make that decision locally. I have reached out to other state universities as well, and no other faculty associations have supported a policy like this.

Dennis: I think we were first out of the gate.

Faith: I wish we could support it, but we cannot.

Dennis: Sure. And certainly, having a community testing site raises interesting possibilities. But the System Office would need to sort of act on those. Thank you; having your support does matter to the faculty, just knowing that this is something you're responsive to. Let's see, any thoughts or questions on that from either side of the table?

Stats regarding attestation / testing

Dennis: I wanted to see if I could get some updates on MIIC or VCaxTrack data. Are there any updates?

Megan: I just have the VaxTrack. The 1056 number has gone up to about 1100. There are about 70 people we're still waiting for documentation for. We've got about 130 people doing regular testing.

Faith: And that's on the employee side?

Megan: Employees and student workers for both BSU and NTC.

Faith: We're still gathering student information. We just got access to the student data; we need to identify the students we need tests from with the existing groups. We've been told we can get more refined info from the MIIC data by student groups.

Dennis: That'd be nice if we could drill down a bit in the MIIC data. Megan, the 130 who are being regularly tested, what's the number of student workers?

Megan: I can get that, but it's more than half.

Dennis: It's good to see such high vaccination rates. Any thoughts or comments on that?

Enrollment update

Allen: I guess there's three things to say. Update on AVPEM: we've gone through the first set of interviews. We've got 4 interviews for campus visits for the week of Nov. 8th. They'll have a campus presentation, interviews with the search committee.

Randy: There will be an opportunity for bargaining unit leadership to meet with them, as well as the campus forums.

Allen: It's looking pretty good for getting that position filled. I'm looking forward to having that person on board to focus on our enrollment plan. I'm pleased with where we're at with that. Faculty participation in the enrollment plan is great; I think we have more than 60 people participating in our strategic enrollment planning. On Dec. 1st, we have president's leadership council to engage the whole campus and the framing of our strategic enrollment plan. We'll be framing the goals for that plan. We're making good progress now; multi-faceted, lots of people involved. It's taking us to a good place. It does relate to operational statements. Another thing to say is that this is October, a big month for high school students. We've got progress to make there, but we're expecting to see more results in subsequent years. We're up 13% in applications. The admissions office has seen an increase, too. For my own target I set for October's applications, we're at 60%. The other piece, I've been doing some enrollment modeling based on return rates. IN the context of the budget, with enrollment over the next couple years. The model is suggesting that 2023 is going to be up 2.5%, and 9% up for traditional high school grads. We're going to see a decrease in returning students, due to our lower incoming numbers. In 2024, going with previous years' data, the numbers will be similar to FY21; FY25 looks like it'll be similar to FY20, and FY26 will look similar to FY18. That's the trajectory I'm seeing with the rough modeling I'm doing.

Dennis: There's some good news in there, thank you.

Heidi: Have you heard anything in terms of trends with our current economic trends? Are students going to leave and go to work?

Allen: This is a good question. We've got a contract with EAB; they're talking about the typical countercyclical economic with higher ed enrollment kinds of things. Where we are right now is not like previous situations. And it looks like there's some change in behavior, but whether this is going to set in long-term or not, we don't know. There's jobs available, but people aren't taking them. We're definitely in discussion about that. I've been to about four round-table discussions with EAB about this.

People are behaving differently now. But it's also clear that enrollment opportunities are there. Being present and available when people are thinking about higher education; we really need to be an option for people and showing the advantages of what we can do for them. So I'm hearing the market share question vs. demographics. The other thing is indebtedness; student debt has been growing as the price of attending has increased over disposable income. There's lots of ideas in popular media and politics about what to do about it. That's a big uncertainty right now. Are we going to go to free college in Minnesota? Is that going to happen? I mean, if I'm a Minnesota family, how do I make my financial planning happen, right? And so there's some big variables like that. It's market share and the uncertainty right now about pricing, and pricing instability.

Dennis: Thank you, Allen, I appreciate that analysis. Any other comments or questions? I'm looking forward to meeting the AVPEM finalists. It'll be good to have that staffed.

Equity Certificate and Program Director

Randy: In the folder with the agenda is the position description for the equity certificate (EC). We don't actually have an EC yet, the curriculum proposal is forthcoming. But there was a workgroup last summer that kind of outlined what that could look like and one of the duties of this director position would be to complete the curriculum packet to make that a reality. We're still hoping to have that in place in the spring. This would be a director that would report to Academic Affairs, I assume it would be me. And so it wouldn't be housed in a department is how we're envisioning it right now.

Dennis; You indicated a lot of interest in how Senate felt about that. I'll get back to you quickly with their thoughts. But the current plan is to have it be an integrative program, similar to Honors and Leadership Studies. The plan would be to have a director and different departments helping out.

Randy: Yes, similar to how Leadership Studies works right now.

Dennis: Any thoughts or comments?

Academic Affairs update

Approach to faculty position proposals, approvals, and postings

Allen: We are in the process of second wave faculty position requests. We are in discussion with Dean's Council. We don't have the list fully finalized. We're a little behind where we were last year, but it's somewhat more difficult this year. We're carefully looking at these positions for the possibility to hold positions vacant for the FY 23 deficit. I don't want to get too layered into this before the budget discussion. We

know we want to get the postings out as early as possible, so it's simply a matter of timing that we're dealing now with this strategy of holding positions vacant, even when we'd usually go forward with filling them. Our approach to the three waves is similar to what we did last year. That was the first time we did a first wave prior to the academic year; this year we put 11 positions forward in the first wave. We hope to get the second wave wrapped up in the next couple of weeks. But it is our intention to delay positions if we can do so without damaging departments or enrollment. We're in discussion with departments about our approach, trying to be as careful as possible when we do have a delay we have the ability to continue enrollment and curriculum. We are looking at a substantial budget deficit in FY 23; we do have a substantial deficit this year, but it's being filled by federal dollars we can't expect next year. But this is definitely impacted by our financial situation this year and next year.

Dennis: It's kind of awkward to find a place for our questions, so they're at the end. I did have one question, as you were talking, you said the strategy is to hold the vacancies that do the least damage to department. Is that a fair summary? What are you looking at to identify that damage?

Allen: Basically, the question is, can we run the curriculum? Can students progress toward a degree? We certainly don't want to take a hold a position in which the net effect is financially worse, right? And that would be where you actually damage the enrollment, the savings is outweighed by the cost of not having the revenue, that would be financially a stupid thing to do. We don't want to damage enrollment and sacrifice revenue. We also don't want to cause a disruption in student flow through the department. It's the same calculus we have when backfilling sabbaticals. We usually backfill 1/3 – 1/2 for people on sabbatical. We have ways of doing this and that's how I'm approaching this. It's as if we suddenly had more faculty on sabbatical.

Dennis: I feel like in my role I shouldn't be advocating for one department over another, my job is to empower departments to advocate for themselves. I asked so that they know what terms to be speaking in, as they sort of educate the administration on the vacancy that may be doing more damage than had been previously realized. Any questions or comments about that? Thank you for sharing that strategy with me.

Allen: Thank you for your understanding with this and that we're working together to protect the institution and our strength as best we can.

Dennis: It is tough; I won't pretend all departments are ok with it. It helps me know what the strategy is to give to departments for advocating for themselves.

Mentoring and supporting fixed term and probationary faculty members

Dennis: What can we do to give stability to faculty in vulnerable positions?

Allen: It's a good point and a high priority for me and the president. We know what the success rates are in the last few years for marginalized faculty, and we're not happy with it. What we're doing now is, we're having deans meet with first-year faculty. I think it's important to use those to allow faculty to connect with their deans and establish those relationships. The deans are telling me that those conversations are important; having a priority of connecting with those incoming faculty at least has an opportunity to build a relationship that you can then build from and build on. I'd be very interested in getting input from you all about how our newer faculty members are feeling in that process and what their feedback is and what their requests may be. It's important for us to gain information from our underrepresented faculty about their experience so that we can improve where it's most important to them.

Dennis: Thank you, I appreciate it. Speaking from my own experience, my first year here, I put a lot into that meeting; I was very invested in that meeting with the dean. And that was my clearest indication, my first real indication of how I was doing at BSU. In many ways, I think that is a good first step; the deans get acquainted with that person, we can catch issues early. I've actually spoken to deans about some of those meetings. And I've also spoken with faculty about those meetings. I've met with several faculty who appreciated that their dean was taking that initiative. So thank you for taking that step. I'll keep thinking with you about ways we can provide stability to faculty in those positions. Because to my mind, that is absolutely crucial in building a faculty body that is representative of the diversity of our community.

Allen: If there's things you could do through the BSUFA to gather information about where the weak points are, I think would be very, very helpful for us to have that kind of information. It's important to theorize about what's going on, but the more we can be directly connected to the actual experience, that's better.

Dennis: I agree that may be something for my executive committee talk about as a way we can gather information on that in a kind of some way that's not scary for a new faculty member. Because that informs our advocacy, as well as your support for that faculty member. Any other thoughts on that item?

Lengthening the time for opening registration windows

Randy: Our Records office has had a request from Student Support Services to change the timeframe in which student registration windows open, from two weeks to a longer period, perhaps three weeks. And I was very interested in feedback from the Senate on that. So right now, the student registration window is open over a two-week period. Could that be lengthened to spread out the workload for faculty?

Dennis: I'm fairly certain that they'll have thoughts on that. Is this something the administration has already decided and wants to do, or eliciting feedback from Senate? Just so they know what they're responding to.

Randy: Yep. I got the request two hours ago so we haven't thought about it at all, so just feedback would be nice.

Operational Statements in Academic Affairs

Allen: I have two links here. The first is a to a doc in the Teams site, the other is to the Academic Affairs (AA) website. I wanted to spend a little bit of time on the purpose of these. It's time to bring these to M&C because we want to have all divisions under AA complete these. I'm asking for feedback on this approach. I'm open to modifying how to do it; we're developing it as we go. I started this last year and we've made a lot of changes to the process, but I think we've got a good process now. We're doing it in basically 3 steps. Identifying what units there are in AA. Then identifying the organizational structure of the unit, which we're hoping to wrap up this semester. The second phase during the spring, is to identify unit-level goals. Each unit will have the right to set their own goals, but also, we'll want them to determine whether and how those goals are aligned with any of the strategic goals in the university. Then the third phase would be an annual report on the goals identified during the previous year. The first round of reports would be due October 2022. These would be the essential elements of assessing institutional effectiveness. This is an expectation for HLC, so it could fit in with the mid-year review. We could show how our institutional effectiveness is impacting our results, how it's affecting our thinking, our resource allocation, our planning and our operations. The whole purpose of this is that we have a coordinated effort and documented effort to see if we're making progress on institutional plans and unit-level plans. This process holds us all accountable to each other and our institutional goals. It'll also help us with moving forward on reporting progress on our strategic plans. We're doing this in AA; Travis Greene is looking into developing it in SLS (Student Life & Success). To me, this is absolutely crucial in the planning and assessment we're already doing. We've got a lot of information in TaskStream now and I'm looking for a way to integrate those reports and their conclusions into our overall thinking. It's very hard to overstate how important this process is to managing our affairs as a university. It's time to talk about this in M&C and get feedback from the bargaining units. So that's why we're bringing it forward at this time.

Dennis: You and I have discussed these statements. Two questions: I should tell Senate that you want to require the first piece by the end of the first semester?

Allen: Yes, Sabrina has been running the logistics of this. I don't know the most recent count of participation, but it's about half of the units have completed the organizational structure part. And that gravity form that Sabrina's put together through the webpage is pretty simple to use. And she's very much available to talk with people about how to do that process. I'm almost embarrassed to talk about how good I feel when I see these, because they tell me who's in the unit, what you do, what resources the unit has, I learned about grants I didn't know about. I get to know about the university by reading these organizational statements. Imagine how new people in a unit would feel learning about their unit this way, or new supervisors. It makes it easier to understand the university.

Dennis: Presumably, faculty would want to be able to see these as well.

Allen: Yes, these are public documents.

Dennis: You mentioned Student Life is exploring using these; is there an intention to have other parts of campus doing this? I know, someone's gonna ask me.

Allen: I don't want to speak for other cabinet members.

Megan: From an HR perspective, this is a good thing. Just thinking about how hard it can be coming into the university, this would be really helpful. Thinking about bringing in a new president in the next year, these would be really helpful. This would be a valuable tool to have and keep current about what we're doing.

Allen: One of the reasons I think it's wise to not do the full campus yet is that we're still working on the process. We don't want to ask people to keep needing to adjust to new interpretations. And huge kudos to Sabrina for setting up the form and the fields. And by the way, this is also really helping our new director of administrative support personnel, Teresa LaFriniere, because this gave her the information she needed about how our units are being supported, and where they're not, where the gaps are. It's really helpful for how do our organizational units operate. As we shift gears into phase two, documenting the goals, that's where we've got a lot of learning to do about how do we do that, if we're going to meet those goals, or indicate where they're supporting institution wide goals, or even college goals, for example, we need to find an efficient way of doing those links. Templating the annual report will also take some work. Any area that wants to help is welcome, but we're still working on things.

Faith: I just want to thank Allen for bringing this to the campus. I've encouraged other cabinet members to look into doing this for their units.

Dennis: I'm not advocating for everyone to do it, just trying to be proactive in what my members might ask at Senate.

Question about hyflex modality

Dennis: The goal of this is to be able to respond to questions we've had about the priority of different modalities, like hyflex and ITV. I want to be able to respond to those questions beyond a contractual perspective. My question is what is the current priority on experimenting with different modalities? Should faculty go to their dean or to you?

Allen: There's two resources for faculty interested in exploring hyflex or other modalities. The first is the dean; there's interest from the deans and AA overall to explore different modalities. The second is the faculty community of practice (led by Dan Allosso) about methods and best practices. A little bit of background first. The term hyflex is a little unfortunate and there's a lot of different interpretation of what it means. The history of the term, which comes from San Francisco State University, was to allow students to take courses remotely and in person. A big part of the impetus at SFSU was the campus's landlocked status and running out of space. In Minnesota, there was an emphasis on flexibility, where students could do either mode. You can probably tell by my voice that I'm not a fan of this version, where we have the added cost of online courses, but no additional revenue. What I am a fan of is a modified version of ITV, like an in-person classroom is set out to a remote audience as well, in two different sections. So students can register for the in-person section, or they can register for the remote section, just like it was a standalone remote. I was in conversation with John Ellis about this just a few days ago. He wants to see if he can open a remote option for an upper-level history course. Using it strategically in that way, we can meet and build a remote demand for in-person classes. It's a way for us to expand opportunities – a modern incarnation of ITV.

Dennis: Thank you, Allen; I appreciate that you're informed on this topic. I'm just trying to clarify a murky situation. I'm getting so many questions from faculty that I want to make sure I'm giving the right response.

Finance update

MinnState supplemental budget request

Karen: I'll talk first about the supplemental budget, because I wasn't sure what the revenue/expense overview is. This is a \$60M request. \$30M is dedicated to campus support, and of that, we'd get ~\$1M to BSU and \$40K to NTC. The other is a \$20M equity and affordability; \$25M is set aside so we don't increase 3.5%. The other dollars are 2M for mental health resources and \$2M for workforce development. I think this will go toward the 2 year schools, then \$1M toward student basic needs resources. Internet, websites to get basic information. There's a lot of good things in the 5M, and I think it should be more; that won't go far across the whole system. I can also give an update after the budget forum. When we submitted the budget in May, we said that we would use the \$4.2M of ARP to help offset any revenue loss. We're going to need

some of that money for COVID testing. Fortunately, we have more employees vaccinated than what we had estimated; I was estimating 30% of our students would be vaccinated, and we're still waiting to hear that definitively. But now we don't need to pay for testing now with the community testing site. So instead of the \$2M, I'm taking the budget down to \$500K, because I still need to test those employees and student workers. Also the ARP fund is paying the Hobson Center for Beaux Arts testing booking. We also know we have Britany and Angel, on our tracing team, so their salary is coming out of that. We'll also need some sort of transportation for students to get to the testing center. Another question is how long we'll need to keep testing. The ARP money will only go to May 12. I'll be giving back the money to other funds I took that from. Thank you for your patience as we worked through what we needed.

Dennis: So if I follow that, \$1.5M will be coming back to revenue.

Karen: I'm really hoping the students who need to get tested will comply and that residence life won't need extra funding.

Dennis: Just so we don't lose the supplemental budget. We look forward to lobbying for better funding for our campuses.

Karen: So you have that whole document and you've been sharing it.

Dennis: Good to see the system making big asks. Any questions or comments on that? I'm still trying to convene the Budget Committee, we need to fill a couple seats. They will have more precise questions. Now I'd like to go through the BSUFA budget questions from last M&C and then just reintroduce some more into discussion. I hope that process is working. By the way, I'm not a fan of "gotcha" M&C questions. So my thought is to sort of give them to you, I usually email them to you, Faith, Allen, and Randy, and anyone else is welcome to them. Just an idea of what's coming.

Karen: I appreciate that, thank you. And for the requests that you have in there, too. That way, I just check out that I send that information to you.

Dennis: I'm not a fan of ambushing at these meetings.

BSUFA questions regarding the budget

Dennis: We asked about the next budget forum scheduled. Any plans for another one?

Karen: Right now, I'm looking at Nov. 30, but that's not set on the calendar yet.

Dennis: Will that be only budget, or mixed with other things?

Karen: It will probably be mixed with other things, like enrollment.

Dennis: If we could do one where you disseminate documents for faculty to review ahead of time and bring questions that would be great. The IPEDS report, it turns out we were looking in the wrong place, so thank you. I don't think the budget projections have been sent yet.

Karen: No, I'm still working on those, I'll probably get those together by the campus forum.

Dennis: I think that would be really important for faculty to see as they're processing vacancies in their programs. And as we ask them to support enrollment work, it makes a big difference when you see that bottom line. I appreciate you sending the breakdowns with sabbatical costs. The last question, there might have been some questions about that. What budget solutions are we trying to get done under Faith's administration and what might be pushed off to the next administration?

Faith: I'd just like to say that's an ongoing process. When we get a chance to take advantage of a budget savings, we take it, we don't wait on it.

Dennis: The next six questions are meant to move beyond data to ask about strategic planning for cabinet. Some departments are seeing vacancies they're not used to seeing, due to retirements or resignations.

Karen: That's one thing we're looking at, not just AA, but the whole university,

Dennis: I've been hearing some similar pain from other bargaining units. I'm interested in just how many positions are being held vacant that have traditionally been staffed, because that helps me see to what extent traditional positions are being used to fill a deficit, as opposed to sort of what I call wish list position stuff that department wants to do beyond its traditional allocation.

Allen: I understand the interest in the question, but I just can't give an answer right now. We have to look at it comprehensively, so I can't give you results until I have all the data in front of me. From wave 1, we moved 11 forward and held back 3, but we're revisiting those 3 in wave 2. As we complete wave 2, I'll be able to say the results of that and what categories they fall into.

Megan: I'll have the non-IFO positions on the org charts. You will notice that some traditional positions were held, while some new positions are being filled.

Dennis: As before, these questions are meant to be introduced, but I'm looking for more precise answers at the next M&C. The second question is how far ahead are we thinking – addressing the current year's deficit or next year's? The third question is perhaps the most important one to me; how is Cabinet defining the deficits and what are the cost-cutting targets?

Faith: We're in the process of refining that answer. We don't have it now. It hits the institution across the board, but we don't want to say we'll take cuts everywhere. We know the hits from the enrollment decline and COVID are significant and we'll lose federal dollars next year. We need to see what we'll comfortably accept as a deficit, but we don't yet have a specific figure.

Dennis: Thank you, Faith, I appreciate that this is a strategic process. You can probably imagine from my question, but when positions are held open for a faculty member, and for a department, that's something you feel, these are colleagues that you work with, these are workloads that you take on, these are burdens that are shifted around, and it's also an indication of just where the university's values and priorities are. A vacancy is something we feel, especially after a year of sacrifice. It matters to them that there's a target and that there's a limit to what they're being asked to do. I appreciate you're being strategic and I look forward to hearing the target. The next three questions relate to what we can do to fix this. It's good for faculty to know that there's other levers being pulled. Let's say we're wildly successful with a supplemental budget; what would that mean for departments and fixing vacancies? As much detail as you can give would be helpful to go back to departments. Any other thoughts and comments?

Allen: I'll just say, these are good questions and I appreciate the thought that went into them.

Dennis: All of you on Cabinet, I appreciate that these numbers require work, but they're important.

Presidential search update

Megan: I'll give an update and then I know there's other discussions ongoing with where we're at and what will happen next. The position profile has had several final versions come through, but I think the latest is the last edit. The bargaining units and system have reviewed this. Our search firm will begin sending the profile to their catalog of people they've been building. We will have a fac/staff coming this week to share the website for the search. You'll see the full committee, the profile, and general updates shared. First meeting of the SAC is 11/10; that's the one in-person meeting for everyone. They're going to set the stage to get the SAC set up. Feb. 14-18 will be when we engage with the candidates on campus. Make sure you get them on the calendar. There may not be alternate timeslots, so work out your calendar so you can meet with the IFO meetings. The SAC is being built now; we've gone through several versions of what it will look like, given some new proposed language that exists for one of our system policies and procedures around presidential searches. I know that this is something that we have engaged with Dennis on, and very much hear the perspective of the balance of the committee, given that the IFO is the largest bargaining unit on

campus. I know that President Hensrud has talked with the Chancellor and I'll be talking to Deb Gehrke, the CHRO. In my meetings with the unit leaders, I've been communicating that MAPE and AFSCME have 1 rep and IFO has 2, but now MAPE and AFSCME has one from each campus (so 2 total). We're hearing the issue and backchanneling about it. The reality is that this isn't our SAC, but I want to give our perspective since Deb, Ginny Arthurs, and the Chancellor aren't here. I expect we'll hear soon an update about this, either modifying the composition or going forward.

Dennis: Thank you, Megan, I appreciate it. This SAC has moving parts that other committees don't. I appreciate that this isn't your committee to create. I have a meeting with the Chancellor tomorrow and I'll say now what I'll say then. I have no objection to NTC having a louder voice. But we are the faculty voice and half the employees on campus. I hope that what I hear tomorrow is that our voice will correspond to the numbers on the SAC. Just for you to be aware, if this slows down the process, that's not our intent. We want to be in a collegial space and this development has troubled me. I do have a question, Megan. I believe it was October 14 that you met with the bargaining units, that's where you said here's the committee at that point and 12 people were listed. Your email yesterday said 14 people one extra for AFSCME and one extra for MAPE. When did the new guidance go out?

Megan: So number one, I think there was a memo that went out to possibly a bargaining unit leaders. I'm looking to see if I ever even got that memo. I don't believe originally President Hensrud received it. So I'm checking to see if I had that. Deb from the System Office and I did talk about various potential compositions. So in the memos that I sent, basically, as here's your attachment, it did outline to MAPE and AFSCME that they would have a member from both BSU and NTC. So that is my miss in just understanding that's the final landing spot. So MAPE returned two names, because they read the memo clearly and literally and returned what they saw. AFSCME has not given names yet. So it was originally in the memo from chancellor that I sent out as an attachment. When MAPE gave me two names, I said, oh you only need to send me one name, and MAPE corrected me and said, no, the letter said two. That's when I identified it, at the point that Madeline indicated yes, the letters are correct. But then that obviously has an impact to the IFO on the makeup of the committee. I am giving this back to Deb and engaging with the chancellor on this.

Dennis: Right. It's worth noting that so far, my emails to Deb have gone unanswered. She may have assumed that someone else was responding, but so far, no one has responded to my concerns. So this is not a good place to start this. And I won't belabor the point much longer because frankly, the decision's being made elsewhere. But just to let you know that this is a great concern to faculty, this sends, I think, a very dangerous message to faculty about their value in this process. So when I push for more representation, I'm not doing it lightly. This is something that matters. I

encourage, as you are able, to remind the powers that be, my executive committee and I are of one mind that this is not sufficient representation. And we aren't going to be satisfied with it.

Faith: I have shared that with the chancellor, too.

Dennis: Faith, I appreciate that message. I respect your wish to stay somewhat hands-off.

Megan: This is an important conversation to have 2:00:31 The chancellor and his team need to know. I want to make sure that, Dennis, your communication is getting through.

Dennis; Thank you, Faith and Megan. We have appointees from an elections. We won't be sharing those names until we have resolution on this.

Faith: I have one thing I'd like to share with you, the Board of Trustees Teaching Excellence awards. There was a memo that went out to bargaining unit leaders and CAA. Two years ago, we had nominees, but the process wasn't good, so I couldn't support the nominee. The deadline is Jan. 12 for selection 2:03:04 I was going to work with Mike Murray to put this process together, but then the pandemic happened.

Megan; We have a process for 2:03:43

Faith: The process needs to meet all the criteria or I can't support it.

Dennis: Ok, send me the memos and 2:04:18

Faith: I would say, if you can work with Allen and Megan on that, that would be the best.

Randy: I just sent it to Dennis.

Allen: We're ending on a good note.

Faith: We'd love to do this.

Dennis: Thank you all for this process.

Minutes submitted by Kat Klement.