#BeaverFamily Feature: Megan Zothman, Chief Human Resources Officer

BSU is committed to creating a university culture in which diversity is embraced and all people are safe, welcome, and validated – as committed to in the Bemidji State University Strategic Plan. The #BeaverFamily campaign was created to welcome and introduce our new faculty and staff, along with highlighting current employees!  

Leading the #BeaverFamily campaign is BSU’s Human Resource team. Learn some fun facts about them and watch for upcoming new #BeaverFamily posts each week! 

Megan Zothman

Chief Human Resources Officer for Bemidji State University and Northwest Technical College
Start Date: March 2014

Q: Where are you from?

I was born and raised on the Iron Range in Hibbing, Minn. (aka – the Grand Canyon of the North). It will always be home sweet home to me.

Q: What do you hope to accomplish here at BSU?

When I started as an HR team member at BSU – it was a family decision to shift out of the retail environment that I had been working in since graduating college to have more time to focus on family. I then had the opportunity to transition into my current role as campus HR officer. Now – six years later – I have grown to understand my role within BSU/NTC and what we’ve set out to do in our Strategic Plan – most specifically in Priority 5: “Create a university culture in which diversity is embraced and all people are safe, welcome and validated.” I know I will walk into work one day and feel in my gut that we are ALL there. Safe. Welcome. Validated. Each individual, every team. I am so proud to see that we have identified this as part of our Strategic Plan – and even more excited to work towards this as a campus community. As an HR director – a priority like this speaks to the importance of not only the experience of our students, but also the experiences of our employees.

Q: What is your greatest accomplishment?

Honestly – my family. Is that an accomplishment? When I was dating my husband – I never quite knew what it really meant to get married and have a family. Now it is something I work on every single day – some days are amazing, others challenging. But seeing my husband and kiddos doing the little daily things – brushing teeth, laughing, eating dinner, reading books, telling stories, making messes, dancing, singing (lots of singing) – it really does feel like an accomplishment to me. I am certain there will be no other accomplishment in my lifetime – personal or career – that will ever outshine my family.

Q: Where is your favorite place to eat in Bemidji?

Schummer’s Backwoods Bar and Grill. 1. 7 minutes from our house. 2. Laidback & kid-friendly. 3. The best chicken philly I have ever eaten.

Q: What did you want to be when you were growing up?

When I was in first grade – all I wanted to be was an author and illustrator of children’s books. My younger self would probably be disappointed that there is not yet a book showcased in the Hibbing Public Library with my name on it – but it is still definitely on the ‘life goals’ list.